• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi Mom,

Thanks for your reply.

FO: Los Angeles
Region: AS
Biometrics: 07/31
Fingerprint Review was Completed: 08/02

1. I called USCIS (1-800-375-5283) this morning and the representative she told me that the processing time is 6 months and my case is still pending and she didn't mention anything about fingerprint/background check and they don't need anything from me. I told her it's a DV Lottery Program case but she said the timeline is the same. Is this usual? Or should I speak to someone else? Any other options I can do and know about my status? Should I just keep waiting the IL?

2. According to the timeline spreadsheets, it says that Los Angeles FO takes 16 days to a month. Due to DV FY ends soon and don't want to miss the chance. Is there any other way I can do now?

Looking forward to your soonest reply, thank you so much, Mom.

I'd hesitate a guess that the infopass callback people have in their criteria that they can approve an infopass between the start and end of September for DV entrants.

Might be worth trying and can't hurt your case either way.

Hi D3Zi,

Yes, we did recently. Unfortunately, they denied us saying that pending asylum is not a status(((
I am sorry to hear that. Did they denial letter mention that you can appeal or something or is it the end of your DV Journy ?

I am glad I found this forum, its been quite helpful to get acquited with the whole hectic process;
I finally did an interview today,
IO called my number she was super friendly, entered the office told me to remain standing sworn me then we got started. Took a copy of my ID, passport, and EAD. She went through my passport with the expired visa then got started with the interview, she was literally asking me questions from the I 845 form I submitted, DOB, place.... then asked a bunch of YES or NO questions all of them were NO for ME. She was cool happy then she confirmed my visa availability and that was it she told me she is gonna approve then am gonna receive welcome letter followed by GC. She didn't touch any of my original documents, didn't ask anything about finance. I just went in positive then came out happy.
Finally, I wanna thank MOM for your courageous support and advice with all the questions we have been shooting you as if we paid you Lol!!

Good Luck EveryOne.

I am glad I found this forum, its been quite helpful to get acquited with the whole hectic process;
IO called my number she was super friendly, entered the office told me to remain standing sworn me then we got started. Took a copy of my ID, passport, and EAD. She went through my passport with the expired visa then got started with the interview, she was literally asking me questions from the I 845 form I submitted, DOB, place.... then asked a bunch of YES or NO questions all of them were NO for ME. She was cool happy then she confirmed my visa availability and that was it she told me she is gonna approve then am gonna receive welcome letter followed by GC. She didn't touch any of my original documents, didn't ask anything about finance. I just went in positive then came out happy.
Finally, I wanna thank MOM for your courageous support and advice with all the questions we have been shooting you as if we paid you Lol!!

Good Luck EveryOne.
Congratulations!

Good Luck EveryOne.

Awesome report. Congratulations.

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, I just want to say that I received a couple of messages yesterday because some folks remembered my interview was today. This is another testimony to the greatness of this community.

So, I just came back from the interview....
The process is pretty straightforward : Arrive at Federal Plaza, go through security, go to the field office's floor, sign-in, wait and be called.
A couple of hot take-aways:
1. Apparently, I was not required to ask my girlfriend to file an Affidavit of Support since I pay taxes.
2. My background check was apparently fine. (I could not get a a firm answer regarding an on-going or closed status)
3. Also the interview went well, there was a couple of points I had to gently correct during the interview ("So you're here for Citizenship", "You submitted an I-134, so you don't pay taxes, right ?" etc...)

Anyway, I guess now starts the unrelenting refresh campaign on the egov website.

I ll provide a more detailed recap of my experience at the end of the process.

Kr,

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, I just want to say that I received a couple of messages yesterday because some folks remembered my interview was today. This is another testimony to the greatness of this community.

So, I just came back from the interview....
The process is pretty straightforward : Arrive at Federal Plaza, go through security, go to the field office's floor, sign-in, wait and be called.
A couple of hot take-aways:
1. Apparently, I was not required to ask my girlfriend to file an Affidavit of Support since I pay taxes.
2. My background check was apparently fine. (I could not get a a firm answer regarding an on-going or closed status)
3. Also the interview went well, there was a couple of points I had to gently correct during the interview ("So you're here for Citizenship", "You submitted an I-134, so you don't pay taxes, right ?" etc...)

Anyway, I guess now starts the unrelenting refresh campaign on the egov website.

I ll provide a more detailed recap of my experience at the end of the process.

Kr,

Congratulations on getting the interview out of the way. Hope your approval comes through soon.

Just one thing I’ll like to clarify here for the benefit of others: I believe your IO was basically fishing around and testing you. Yes if your personal income is above the poverty guideline level applicable to you, and you pay your taxes of course, you don’t need an I-134. Someone else on the other hand could be paying their taxes but their income is below the poverty guideline level applicable to their case, such a person will need an I-134 in that case. Simply paying taxes alone does not negate the need to have an I-134 in order to overcome a public charge ruling.

Congratulations on getting the interview out of the way. Hope your approval comes through soon.

Just one thing I’ll like to clarify here for the benefit of others: I believe your IO was basically fishing around and testing you. Yes if your personal income is above the poverty guideline level applicable to you, and you pay your taxes of course, you don’t need an I-134. Someone else on the other hand could be paying their taxes but their income is below the poverty guideline level applicable to their case, such a person will need an I-134 in that case. Simply paying taxes alone does not negate the need to have an I-134 in order to overcome a public charge ruling.

"Fishing around" and "testing" is definitely the impression I got from that interview. Although I must add that my interview was also punctated by positive comments such as :
"[...] you are not filing through your employer or your spouse, you are doing this on your own, so you don't owe anything to anybody"

wait and see.

It is not unusual for the IO to ask questions or make comments on something that is obviously glaring, which is the exact situation @Lesia and her husband found themselves in when the IO asked if he had another petition and the husband said no. Of course the IO is already aware of the asylum petition filed by the family, even if the main asylum petitioner was the wife and not the husband. The IO already saw this information on the I-485 which was reviewed before they got their, and even if they had failed to mention it on their I-485, (which would have been another big issue by the way), the IO will still already be aware of the pending petition.

You’ll have to exercise some patience and hope it gets mailed soon.
I finally was able to receive the biometrics letter (it was mailed but I never received it and today a tier 2 officer emailed a copy to me). I have an appointment on the 29. My ASC is in Norfolk VA - unfortunately there is not much info regarding this office on the timeline spreadsheets but the vast majority seem to have waited quite a bit before getting their interview.

Do you recommend I start contacting my congressperson to try to speed up the process or do anything else while I wait for my bio appointment (my office does not offer infopass anymore)?

Thank you!

I finally was able to receive the biometrics letter (it was mailed but I never received it and today a tier 2 officer emailed a copy to me). I have an appointment on the 29. My ASC is in Norfolk VA - unfortunately there is not much info regarding this office on the timeline spreadsheets but the vast majority seem to have waited quite a bit before getting their interview.

Do you recommend I start contacting my congressperson to try to speed up the process or do anything else while I wait for my bio appointment (my office does not offer infopass anymore)?

Thank you!

Don’t wait until the 29th. Do a walk in for the bio. You need to get that done first ASAP before initiating a case follow. Be prepared to plead your case, go armed with the necessary information to show you’re running against time when you go for the walk in just in case they ask you to come back at your scheduled date.

Don’t wait until the 29th. Do a walk in for the bio. You need to get that done first ASAP before initiating a case follow. Be prepared to plead your case, go armed with the necessary information to show you’re running against time when you go for the walk in just in case they ask you to come back at your scheduled date.

Thank you very much, I will go this week then.
If they let me walk in do you recommend asking about the interview appointment considering the approaching deadline or should I contact USCIS on the phone? Any suggestion is more than appreciated!

Thank you very much, I will go this week then.
If they let me walk in do you recommend asking about the interview appointment considering the approaching deadline or should I contact USCIS on the phone? Any suggestion is more than appreciated!

Focus on getting the bio completed first.

Dear Everyone and Mom,

It's been more than three weeks since our interview and biometrics appointment (both in the same day) and we haven't heard from them since. I have contacted our congress office, tier 2 officer to make an appointment on September 3rd. I am very worried now...

Have anyone had similar experience? I also have a pending job offer which can be affected by this delay. Our FO is in Fairfax VA and we are on J1 and J2 status. I am trying to understand what might cause this delay: Customer service says that our bio has been received a week after we attended our biometrics which tells me that they have completed the background check. Could it be that the officer forgot about our case?

I'd highly appreciate your thoughts and opinion on this.
Thanks!

Dear Everyone and Mom,

It's been more than three weeks since our interview and biometrics appointment (both in the same day) and we haven't heard from them since. I have contacted our congress office, tier 2 officer to make an appointment on September 3rd. I am very worried now...

Have anyone had similar experience? I also have a pending job offer which can be affected by this delay. Our FO is in Fairfax VA and we are on J1 and J2 status. I am trying to understand what might cause this delay: Customer service says that our bio has been received a week after we attended our biometrics which tells me that they have completed the background check. Could it be that the officer forgot about our case?

I'd highly appreciate your thoughts and opinion on this.
Thanks!

Back on August 12th, I had recommended being patient and waiting for about two weeks:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2019-aos-only.337772/post-2502970

You clearly have gone ahead with your own plans anyway. Since you’re utilizing all the available resources at the same time I don’t know how else to guide you. I guess it’s good you’ve been able to get them to schedule an INFOPASS on Sept. 3rd.

By the way, customer service cannot tell if the background check has cleared on not, they can’t tell if additional checks got requested following the initial receipt which they can see in the system, so don’t put too much faith into what they said over the phone.

Back on August 12th, I had recommended being patient and waiting for about two weeks:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2019-aos-only.337772/post-2502970

You clearly have gone ahead with your own plans anyway. Since you’re utilizing all the available resources at the same time I don’t know how else to guide you. I guess it’s good you’ve been able to get them to schedule an INFOPASS on Sept. 3rd.

By the way, customer service cannot tell if the background check has cleared on not, they can’t tell if additional checks got requested following the initial receipt which they can see in the system, so don’t put too much faith into what they said over the phone.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, it is difficult to just wait when there is so much at stake and I want to make sure to act ASAP if smith is wrong. I know I can't influence the process that much, but it is difficult to relax at the end of fiscal year. Sorry for bothering with my worries and appreciate your response. I will keep you updated :)