• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hello Mom and all. Do you know what could be the reason that my package is still in national benefit center? This is what my field office told congresswoman’s office! Anything I can do? I did my bio on July 9th.

I have no idea, there have been occasional reports of the NBC taking a bit longer than usual to forward the case file to the applicable FO.

Which FO has jurisdiction over your AOS petition by the way? Check the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for other DV based AOS cases handled by your FO - I have to say upfront though since you’re chargeable to Iran (if I’m not mistaken), the average processing time might not even be applicable in your case.

I have no idea, there have been occasional reports of the NBC taking a bit longer than usual to forward the case file to the applicable FO.

Which FO has jurisdiction over your AOS petition by the way? Check the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of the average processing time for other DV based AOS cases handled by your FO - I have to say upfront though since you’re chargeable to Iran (if I’m not mistaken), the average processing time might not even be applicable in your case.

Detroit. It is definitely outside normal processing time. I just thought NBC will send package to field office anyway and it is FO which decide either wait for background check or setup interview. Isn’t like this?

Detroit. It is definitely outside normal processing time. I just thought NBC will send package to field office anyway and it is FO which decide either wait for background check or setup interview. Isn’t like this?

Like I said, there have been occasional reports of the NBC taking a bit longer than usual to forward the case file to the FO. The truth is, we have no way of verifying what your FO told your Congress person - your FO may be trying to place the blame on the NBC, rather than openly say your background check is pending - by responding like they did, the pressure is off the FO, since your Congress person typically doesn’t reach out to the NBC for corroboration. I’m not saying I know for a fact this is what is going on, I’m simply trying to make sense of it going by what I know from the past and my understanding of how they operate.

Compared to fellow AOSers (under the Detroit FO) who did their bio in July like you did, yes your case appears outside of the “normal” processing time. However, compared to a similar case chargeable to Iran like you are, you appear within the “normal” processing time as seen on the timeline spreadsheet.

Like I said, there have been occasional reports of the NBC taking a bit longer than usual to forward the case file to the FO. The truth is, we have no way of verifying what your FO told your Congress person - your FO may be trying to place the blame on the NBC, rather than openly say your background check is pending - by responding like they did, the pressure is off the FO, since your Congress person typically doesn’t reach out to the NBC for corroboration. I’m not saying I know for a fact this is what is going on, I’m simply trying to make sense of it going by what I know from the past and my understanding of how they operate.

Compared to fellow AOSers (under the Detroit FO) who did their bio in July like you did, yes your case appears outside of the “normal” processing time. However, compared to a similar case chargeable to Iran like you are, you appear within the “normal” processing time as seen on the timeline spreadsheet.

Thank you for the response.

Hi mom

I just finish my interview yesterday, and it was a very stressful experience! I’m F1 and I have a pending asylum case, the interview last for two hours and 30 min. The officer was very professional and very strict and that made me nervous however later after one hour she start talking about herself and start smiling!
The interview turned to Asylum interview she mentioned that she works before in asylum cases. She started with tricky questions about my asylum case without saying that we are taking about my asylum case but I knew we are going there so I start telling her our story even though I was not prepared and I was planning to bring an attorney with me if my asylum case comes first!

Anyway We spent two hours and half speaking about my country which is one of the ban countries. and speaking about my story and what happened. in the end she said that she asked about that because you had an asylum case, I said ok that’s interested! then she said your visa is available but she can’t make a dessigion until she asked the asylum office to about your case or withdraw ur case and that’s made me wondering because I never heard about this process!

My experience was very stressful! I was expect that we are going to spend at least 30 min like other interview experiences and I didn't expect that the officer will spend all the time talking about my asylum case in details, however I felt we did good and answered all questions properly. But I felt a little disappointed and treated unfairly because if this is an asylum case I will be more prepared!

In the end my concern mom or others with similar experience. Could my asylum case effect my DV interview decision in any way? And does the officer doesn’t made a decision because as she said want to check my asylum office about my case or withdraw my asylum case normal!
Note she had my asylum file with all evidence on her disk.

Hi Mom,
i am trying to access the timeline sheet but it looks like my access has been revoked and i can't open it anymore. I submitted a new access request. Could you please approve it ?

Hi Mom,
i am trying to access the timeline sheet but it looks like my access has been revoked and i can't open it anymore. I submitted a new access request. Could you please approve it ?
Never mind!. i appears i was clicking on the 2020 timeline . Sorry about that

Hi Mom,

In the interview notice letter (DV2019), they asked for an evidence for high school diploma or equivalent. If I have an advanced degree (Master's or PhD), do I still need to present the high school diploma? There is no clear instructions for it in the the educational requirements- I just wanted to check with you.

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Warm regards,

Hi mom

I just finish my interview yesterday, and it was a very stressful experience! I’m F1 and I have a pending asylum case, the interview last for two hours and 30 min. The officer was very professional and very strict and that made me nervous however later after one hour she start talking about herself and start smiling!
The interview turned to Asylum interview she mentioned that she works before in asylum cases. She started with tricky questions about my asylum case without saying that we are taking about my asylum case but I knew we are going there so I start telling her our story even though I was not prepared and I was planning to bring an attorney with me if my asylum case comes first!

Anyway We spent two hours and half speaking about my country which is one of the ban countries. and speaking about my story and what happened. in the end she said that she asked about that because you had an asylum case, I said ok that’s interested! then she said your visa is available but she can’t make a dessigion until she asked the asylum office to about your case or withdraw ur case and that’s made me wondering because I never heard about this process!

My experience was very stressful! I was expect that we are going to spend at least 30 min like other interview experiences and I didn't expect that the officer will spend all the time talking about my asylum case in details, however I felt we did good and answered all questions properly. But I felt a little disappointed and treated unfairly because if this is an asylum case I will be more prepared!

In the end my concern mom or others with similar experience. Could my asylum case effect my DV interview decision in any way? And does the officer doesn’t made a decision because as she said want to check my asylum office about my case or withdraw my asylum case normal!

Based on your written account of how your interview proceeded, I’m sorry I don’t see any evidence of being unfairly treated. The IO is not out of line by asking about your pending asylum case. You are responsible for being prepared to discuss your case, and it seemed you weren’t quite prepared because you expected the IO to focus on the DV based AOS petition only. Unfortunate mistake on your part, you should have been more prepared especially considering the fact that you’re technically no longer in F1 status, I told you before you rolled into what is known as asylum pending with the use of your asylum based EAD. Some FOs have been known to deny DV based AOS petitions asylum pending petitioners.

Yes, it is normal for the IO to reach out to the asylum office before making a final decision on the DV based AOS petition.

Hi Mom,

In the interview notice letter (DV2019), they asked for an evidence for high school diploma or equivalent. If I have an advanced degree (Master's or PhD), do I still need to present the high school diploma? There is no clear instructions for it in the the educational requirements- I just wanted to check with you.

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Warm regards,

We’ve had reports in the past of IOs insisting on seeing the HS Diploma. I recall a case was once put on AP for that, the person eventually got approved after they got some family member to courier over the HS Diploma from their home country.

Based on your written account of how your interview proceeded, I’m sorry I don’t see any evidence of being unfairly treated. The IO is not out of line by asking about your pending asylum case. You are responsible for being prepared to discuss your case, and it seemed you weren’t quite prepared because you expected the IO to focus on the DV based AOS petition only. Unfortunate mistake on your part, you should have been more prepared especially considering the fact that you’re technically no longer in F1 status, I told you before you rolled into what is known as asylum pending with the use of your asylum based EAD. Some FOs have been known to deny DV based AOS petitions asylum pending petitioners.

Yes, it is normal for the IO to reach out to the asylum office before making a final decision on the DV based AOS petition.

I agree with you! But what I mean if it’s an Asylum interview and I’ve been denied I have the right to appeal ! In this case if she denied me because of my asylum case which was the main focus on the interview I lose my DV chance plus it’s may effect my Asylum interview in the future! That’s way I said unfairly treatment! On the other hand, the FO seems doesn’t have an issue with my F1 or Ead but in the end I don’t know what going on in her head.

I agree with you! But what I mean if it’s an Asylum interview and I’ve been denied I have the right to appeal ! In this case if she denied me because of my asylum case which was the main focus on the interview I lose my DV chance plus it’s may effect my Asylum interview in the future! That’s way I said unfairly treatment! On the other hand, the FO seems doesn’t have an issue with my F1 or Ead but in the end I don’t know what going on in her head.

I don’t see how a denied DV based AOS petition can affect your pending asylum petition. The IO could have outrightly denied your AOS petition on the basis of you not having a valid status to adjust from since you’re no longer in F1 status, like some have done. It is possible she was asking all the questions she did because she’s trying to determine if you have a genuine asylum petition and use that basis to approve your AOS petition.

By the way, the IO is not required to tell you upfront if she had an issue with your F1 status or EAD usage. You’ll only find out after your AOS petition has been denied since the reason will be provided on the denial notice.

I don’t see how a denied DV based AOS petition can affect your pending asylum petition. The IO could have outrightly denied your AOS petition on the basis of you not having a valid status to adjust from since you’re no longer in F1 status, like some have done. It is possible she was asking all the questions she did because she’s trying to determine if you have a genuine asylum petition and use that basis to approve your AOS petition.

By the way, the IO is not required to tell you upfront if she had an issue with your F1 status or EAD usage. You’ll only find out after your AOS petition has been denied since the reason will be provided on the denial notice.

Make sense!

Hi mom

Thank for sharing your experience, sorry to hear you were surprised by the asylum questions, but it is not a far-fetched idea for the IO to ask you these questions if your status is asylum pending(especially since you saw a paper pile of your asylum file from the asylum office on the IO’s desk). It possible that she wants to talk with the asylum office to get their opinion on whether they think your asylum claim is genuine (given that the asylum office has spent more time with your asylum application than this IO); and by may be requesting that your asylum file be withdrawn could mean that the IO is ready to approve your DV AoS. In any case, you need to wait and see what happens in the next 3 weeks or so, and if no decision yet, contact your Congressperson for them to inquire to the FO about your DV case status post-interview.

Thank for sharing your experience, sorry to hear you were surprised by the asylum questions, but it is not a far-fetched idea for the IO to ask you these questions if your status is asylum pending(especially since you saw a paper pile of your asylum file from the asylum office on the IO’s desk). It possible that she wants to talk with the asylum office to get their opinion on whether they think your asylum claim is genuine (given that the asylum office has spent more time with your asylum application than this IO); and by may be requesting that your asylum file be withdrawn could mean that the IO is ready to approve your DV AoS. In any case, you need to wait and see what happens in the next 3 weeks or so, and if no decision yet, contact your Congressperson for them to inquire to the FO about your DV case status post-interview.

Thanks for your advice! I will set and watch and hope it doesn’t take long. The IO said that she aware about the dead line and you will hear something in the near future!

Btw IO said my visa is available during the interview. However in case of visa availability if it’s take to long am I gonna lose my visa? Or it’s reserved?

Btw IO said my visa is available during the interview. However in case of visa availability if it’s take to long am I gonna lose my visa? Or it’s reserved?
Due to the low numbers of visas that have been issued so far (due to slow VB progress caused by KCC new documents submission procedure implemented for the first time this year), it is unlikely that visas will run out for DV2019, but let’s wait and see.

Due to the low numbers of visas that have been issued so far (due to slow VB progress caused by KCC new documents submission procedure implemented for the first time this year), it is unlikely that visas will run out for DV2019, but let’s wait and see.
Hi @Grug

By the way did you have interview?

Hi mom

Don't withdraw your asylum case before getting your green card.

Focus on getting the bio completed first.
Dear @Sm1smom
I was able to walk in for the biometrics yesterday and today I received my interview appointment which is scheduled for September 24.
I believe my case is pretty straightforward and there should not be any surprises. My country of origin is Italy.
Any thoughts? Is it possible to ask USCIS to move up the interview?

Thank you again for your precious help!
sm

Last edited: