• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Ghana Selectees

I finally got my packet. Though my interview happened in April, I will share my experience since there are a lot of "don't do's" in it. I am sure it will be of great help to someone else.

Interview Experience
Date Thursday, April 4, 2019.
After all the security checks, briefing, payments and documents submission procedures
I was called to window 6 (Black American CO)
CO: morning
ME: good morning
Fingerprints are taken at this point
CO: raise your right hand and swear blah, blah blah
ME: raised my hand and swore
CO: Where is (my full name)?
ME: Stunned by the question, I stood there for like a minute wondering whether I was invisible.
Then it occurred to me that he was talking about my son. (we have the same name)
All this while he was not even looking at me, he feigned typing something on the PC.
ME: Do you mean my son?
CO: Yes!
ME: He is in school, please.
CO: Why didn't you bring him?
ME: I did not know I had to bring him since I do not intend to take him along now.
CO: You stated that he will eventually join you, why don't you want to take him now?
ME: He is very young and I am not well equipped to cater for an infant all by myself.
CO: So, why didn't you marry your girlfriend after winning so that you all move together? That is what everybody else does.
***I sensed straight away that this was a trap question***
ME: I believe that we should marry for the right reasons. To me, winning the lottery is not one of these reasons.
CO: **Pauses for a while to give me a look of satisfaction**
CO: What work do you do?
ME: Teacher
CO: Which subject?
ME: Mathematics
CO: Algebra, calculus, trigono....
ME: **I interject** I teach teenagers. At that level we do not specialize, so it is an integrated kind of stuff.
CO: **holding up my son's birth certificate** This is the only thing I have that prove the existence of ********. So I can't sanction your visa now.
**He hands over my passport to me and walks away. Comes back a few minutes later with a sheet of paper**
CO: Go and make a passport for ******* and follow the instruction on this sheet, we will contact you when we are ready.
It turned out I had to do a DNA test.

The DNA rounds took me about a month, more money and more stress. The result arrived and I was called by DHL to bring them my passport. I did so the next day. Two days later, my status changed to ISSUED.
I waited for more than a month and sent them a mail to inquire about any hold up. they reply to my mail with a username and password and
asked me to update my profile and the hold up was because I had not created any profile(I had no idea I had to create one). A day after I updated the profile, I got a mail from DHL. I picked the packet the next day.

Now the final hurdle. My packet does not contain any IMMIGRANT DATA SUMMARY SHEET or USICS Payment manual. I sent them a mail today to request for one. Hopefully, they will reply soon.
That was a helleva roller-coaster but it was worth it. I will soon move to Texas.

NB: 1. Bring along all your beneficiaries whether they are going with you or not.
2. Don't forget to create a profile with ustraveldocs.

@Nana Ekow , sorry for the delay but glad you got it finally! I guess they wanted to make sure that the son you will eventually file for exists and is your son.
As for the other stuff, it’s not totally critical. The A-number you need for the USCIS fee is on your visa, and you can pay the fee here https://my.uscis.gov/uscis-immigrant-fee/
Thank you very much, well noted.
Big thank you to all the members out here. You all have been of great help. I am very much grateful.

Last edited:
Please it's been a month since I had my successful interview (CEAC says issued) but I haven't heard anything from DHL. I know someone who went for his on the 18th and was called yesterday to come and pick up. Should I be worried?

Please it's been a month since I had my successful interview (CEAC says issued) but I haven't heard anything from DHL. I know someone who went for his on the 18th and was called yesterday to come and pick up. Should I be worried?

It usually takes 2 to 4 weeks after being on issued to receive your package. Will advice you to check your registration with DHL if it was successful. Also if this week is the 4th week then be patient for today and tomorrow.

simple advise i will give to you is that if you are in accra go to dhl but u outside accra call the numbers on the sheet you were given to at the embassy.

simple advise i will give to you is that if you are in accra go to dhl but u outside accra call the numbers on the sheet you were given to at the embassy.
I called the number on the sheet and the lady said it's not ready and that dhl ll contact me as soon as they receive it..

Pls the marriage certificate issued by the district/municipal assembly not accepted?
Somebody just told me it can't work

The US guidelines are very detailed indeed about Ghanaian marriage certificates:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Ghana.html

Marriage Certificates
Available: For civil, customary, and Islamic (Mohammedan) marriages.

Fees:

• Civil marriage (a.k.a. “ordinance marriage”): Fees vary from GHC 200 to GHC 400, depending on the registration office where the application is lodged.
  • Customary marriage: Fees vary from GHC 60 to GHC 100, depending on the registration office where the application is lodged.
  • Islamic Marriage: None.
Document Name:

• Civil marriage: Certificate of Marriage
  • Customary marriage: Form of Register of Customary Marriages
  • Islamic marriage: Certificate of Marriage
Issuing Authority:

• Civil and Customary marriages: Registrar General’s Office
  • Islamic marriage: Registrar of Mohammedan Marriages
Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:

• Civil marriage certificates: Printed on thick, white cardstock paper (approx. 7” x 14”), and are printed in landscape orientation with a horizontal colored band going from left to right; civil marriages concluded at the Registrar’s Office will have a green band, but a civil marriage concluded at a licensed (“gazette”) church will have a blue band. The documents are torn out of a large book and so may appear perforated along the edges.
  • Customary marriage certificate: Looks similar to a civil marriage certificate, but does not have a horizontal colored band. Once registered with the civil authorities the couple will receive a civil marriage certificate that says "married under customary law" in the space provided for "condition” with an attached certificate printed on white office paper that includes both the ceremony and registration dates.
  • Islamic (“Mohammedan”) marriage certificate: Printed on white office paper and has no security features, but once registered with the civil authorities the couple will receive a civil marriage certificate that says "married under Islamic/Mohammedan law" in the space provided for "condition." For immigrant visa purposes, applicants must submit their civil marriage certificate.
Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Principal Registrar of Marriages

Registration Criteria:

• Customary Marriage: After the customary rites of marriage are performed, the couple can register at the local Registrar of Marriages in the district where they reside, along with one witness. They will be asked to provide a statutory declaration describing the marriage ceremony and declaring it was made in accordance with their ethnic group’s customary law. The application for the registration of the marriage must be made within three months of the marriage ceremony. The certificate will say "married under customary law" in the space provided for "condition."
  • Civil Marriage: Prior to the marriage ceremony, the couple must make an application to the Registrar of Marriages of the district in which they reside for a Certificate of Notice, the equivalent of a marriage license. If the couple meets the minimum marriage requirements (both parties consent to the marriage, are over age 21, are free to marry, and at least one party is currently resident in the district), the Registrar posts a notice on the local notice board for a period of 21 days. If no one comes forward to protest the marriage within 21 days, the registrar issues the Certificate of Notice, which is valid for three months. The marriage ceremony must be concluded by a licensed official or priest to be considered valid.
  • Islamic Marriage: Islamic marriages should be registered at the Registrar of Mohammedan Marriages within one week of the religious ceremony. The register must be signed by the groom, the bride’s wali (witness or patron), the priest and two witnesses. Islamic marriages can also be registered under civil law with the Registrar or Marriages, but must meet the legal requirements of a civil marriage (see above), and should be concluded by an Islamic priest who is licensed to perform marriages. The certificate will say "married under Islamic/Mohammedan law" in the space provided for "condition."
Procedure for Obtaining: Either party to the marriage can request a certified copy of a marriage certificate in writing to the Principal Registrar of Marriages, C/O Registrar General's Office, P.O. Box 118, Accra, Ghana, or in person at the local Registrar’s office where the marriage was registered.

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents

Exceptions: None

Comments: Most marriages in Ghana are performed under customary law, and written records are kept only if the couple chooses to register the marriage with the local registrar. Many Ghanaians misconstrue the traditional marriage ceremony as an “engagement.” However, under Ghanaian marriage law, once a “bride price” has been paid, the traditional marriage becomes recognized and lawful.

Persons married under customary law who subsequently wish to marry under civil or ordinance law must obtain a civil marriage certificate which reflects the words "married under customary law" in the space provided for "condition." Polygamous marriage is permissible under Islamic marriage and customary marriage, but not under civil law. Proxy marriages are allowable in customary marriage only, and while the marriage certificate will not indicate that the marriage was concluded by a proxy, the parties to the marriage are required to submit a sworn affidavit to the Registrar General’s Office naming the parties to the marriage, their proxies, and the marriage particulars. The Registrar can verify whether a sworn affidavit was submitted for a marriage certificate where the marriage was concluded by a proxy. Same sex marriage is not recognized in Ghana. The City of Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) keeps an excellent web site with good information on marriage law in Ghana.

T
The US guidelines are very detailed indeed about Ghanaian marriage certificates:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Ghana.html

Marriage Certificates
Available: For civil, customary, and Islamic (Mohammedan) marriages.

Fees:

• Civil marriage (a.k.a. “ordinance marriage”): Fees vary from GHC 200 to GHC 400, depending on the registration office where the application is lodged.
  • Customary marriage: Fees vary from GHC 60 to GHC 100, depending on the registration office where the application is lodged.
  • Islamic Marriage: None.
Document Name:

• Civil marriage: Certificate of Marriage
  • Customary marriage: Form of Register of Customary Marriages
  • Islamic marriage: Certificate of Marriage
Issuing Authority:

• Civil and Customary marriages: Registrar General’s Office
  • Islamic marriage: Registrar of Mohammedan Marriages
Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:

• Civil marriage certificates: Printed on thick, white cardstock paper (approx. 7” x 14”), and are printed in landscape orientation with a horizontal colored band going from left to right; civil marriages concluded at the Registrar’s Office will have a green band, but a civil marriage concluded at a licensed (“gazette”) church will have a blue band. The documents are torn out of a large book and so may appear perforated along the edges.
  • Customary marriage certificate: Looks similar to a civil marriage certificate, but does not have a horizontal colored band. Once registered with the civil authorities the couple will receive a civil marriage certificate that says "married under customary law" in the space provided for "condition” with an attached certificate printed on white office paper that includes both the ceremony and registration dates.
  • Islamic (“Mohammedan”) marriage certificate: Printed on white office paper and has no security features, but once registered with the civil authorities the couple will receive a civil marriage certificate that says "married under Islamic/Mohammedan law" in the space provided for "condition." For immigrant visa purposes, applicants must submit their civil marriage certificate.
Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Principal Registrar of Marriages

Registration Criteria:

• Customary Marriage: After the customary rites of marriage are performed, the couple can register at the local Registrar of Marriages in the district where they reside, along with one witness. They will be asked to provide a statutory declaration describing the marriage ceremony and declaring it was made in accordance with their ethnic group’s customary law. The application for the registration of the marriage must be made within three months of the marriage ceremony. The certificate will say "married under customary law" in the space provided for "condition."
  • Civil Marriage: Prior to the marriage ceremony, the couple must make an application to the Registrar of Marriages of the district in which they reside for a Certificate of Notice, the equivalent of a marriage license. If the couple meets the minimum marriage requirements (both parties consent to the marriage, are over age 21, are free to marry, and at least one party is currently resident in the district), the Registrar posts a notice on the local notice board for a period of 21 days. If no one comes forward to protest the marriage within 21 days, the registrar issues the Certificate of Notice, which is valid for three months. The marriage ceremony must be concluded by a licensed official or priest to be considered valid.
  • Islamic Marriage: Islamic marriages should be registered at the Registrar of Mohammedan Marriages within one week of the religious ceremony. The register must be signed by the groom, the bride’s wali (witness or patron), the priest and two witnesses. Islamic marriages can also be registered under civil law with the Registrar or Marriages, but must meet the legal requirements of a civil marriage (see above), and should be concluded by an Islamic priest who is licensed to perform marriages. The certificate will say "married under Islamic/Mohammedan law" in the space provided for "condition."
Procedure for Obtaining: Either party to the marriage can request a certified copy of a marriage certificate in writing to the Principal Registrar of Marriages, C/O Registrar General's Office, P.O. Box 118, Accra, Ghana, or in person at the local Registrar’s office where the marriage was registered.

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents

Exceptions: None

Comments: Most marriages in Ghana are performed under customary law, and written records are kept only if the couple chooses to register the marriage with the local registrar. Many Ghanaians misconstrue the traditional marriage ceremony as an “engagement.” However, under Ghanaian marriage law, once a “bride price” has been paid, the traditional marriage becomes recognized and lawful.

Persons married under customary law who subsequently wish to marry under civil or ordinance law must obtain a civil marriage certificate which reflects the words "married under customary law" in the space provided for "condition." Polygamous marriage is permissible under Islamic marriage and customary marriage, but not under civil law. Proxy marriages are allowable in customary marriage only, and while the marriage certificate will not indicate that the marriage was concluded by a proxy, the parties to the marriage are required to submit a sworn affidavit to the Registrar General’s Office naming the parties to the marriage, their proxies, and the marriage particulars. The Registrar can verify whether a sworn affidavit was submitted for a marriage certificate where the marriage was concluded by a proxy. Same sex marriage is not recognized in Ghana. The City of Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) keeps an excellent web site with good information on marriage law in Ghana.
Thank you very much comrade for the relief given to me

Pls I want to do my medicals in Akai and I want directions to the place starting from Circle.
Pls somebody help me
Bro we are in August already, when is ur interview date? At circle u pick labadi( la) car. Drop at danquah circle and pic a taxi to American embassy. Akai is near the embassy when u ask those sellers opposite the embassy . Best of luck bro.