• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DS260 unlock request

Finwin

Those of you who have unlocked your DS260 forms; when you got the email reply from KCC that your form has been unlocked, did it contain the following phrase: "Please remember that the Kentucky Consular Center does not have the authority to tell you whether or not your specific case will be disqualified. Only a consular officer can do that at the time of your visa interview."?

Those of you who have unlocked your DS260 forms; when you got the email reply from KCC that your form has been unlocked, did it contain the following phrase: "Please remember that the Kentucky Consular Center does not have the authority to tell you whether or not your specific case will be disqualified. Only a consular officer can do that at the time of your visa interview."?

That’s a standard notification. It’s somewhere in the dvselectee pages that your selection letter links to, as well. Basically it’s both a request for people not to ask them if their case looks ok, and a warning for those people who think that just being scheduled for an interview means that someone has already checked their eligibility to get the visa.

hello Finwin,

How did you unlock your DS260?

Thank you!

hello Finwin,

How did you unlock your DS260?

Thank you!

I simply wrote them an email asking them to unlock my form. If you wanna unlock yours, remember to add to the email your full name, date of birth and your case number as it appears on your selection letter. Good luck on your DV process!

I simply wrote them an email asking them to unlock my form. If you wanna unlock yours, remember to add to the email your full name, date of birth and your case number as it appears on your selection letter. Good luck on your DV process!
I also unloked my DS form,and two times i did that before my interview. But i recomend to all that if you want to unlock your form,did that after your interview is sheduled - that way is no delay ( date stay the same). When you send KCC email for unlocking then may be a chance to delay interview. My advice do that when your case is in the embassy. My date didnt change when i did that :) ( case was in the embassy,and i simply called them to unlock my form to change something,but my date for interview they didnt change :) Good Luck to all :) :) :) :)

I also unloked my DS form,and two times i did that before my interview. But i recomend to all that if you want to unlock your form,did that after your interview is sheduled - that way is no delay ( date stay the same). When you send KCC email for unlocking then may be a chance to delay interview. My advice do that when your case is in the embassy. My date didnt change when i did that :) ( case was in the embassy,and i simply called them to unlock my form to change something,but my date for interview they didnt change :) Good Luck to all :) :) :) :)

Actually that is not good advice for several reasons.

1. Unlocking doesn't cause delays.
2. Embassies dont always reply well, and KCC cannot unlock a case tgat is scheduled.
3. If the change you make is important enough, you actually want KCC to consider whether they need additional checks. If those are not performed, but are needed, that could cause delay or even denial at interview.

So, I'm glad it worked ok for you, but we would not want people to follow your suggestion.

2. Embassies dont always reply well, and KCC cannot unlock a case tgat is scheduled.
3. If the change you make is important enough, you actually want KCC to consider whether they need additional checks. If those are not performed, but are needed, that could cause delay or even denial at interview.

So, I'm glad it worked ok for you, but we would not want people to follow your suggestion.

My mistake if this is wrong. I wrote this because i passed through this. Man who work in the Us Embassy told me that,and i followed his instruction,and all turned out okay for me :) I just wanted to write my experience,but if is a mistake im so sorry. Case was already in Embassy,not at KCC when i unlocked my form,and the embassy was checking after KCC is done i think? or not? Thank you Britsimon so much,and God Bless you <3 :)

Hello all. I sent KCC an email to unlock my DS260 and their reply was: We are unable to assist you with your request regarding case number 2019××××××××. The Kentucky Consular Center can see that your DS-260 has been submitted and you will have an opportunity to view and make any necessary changes to your DS-260 after your initial Diversity Visa interview at a United States Embassy or Consulate. If there are changes within the information of your DS-260, please carry all documentation with you to your interview. If you need to submit a new DS-260 for a new spouse or child, please contact the Embassy or Consulate where your interview will take place after you receive a scheduling confirmation letter through the Diversity Visa Entrant Status Check system. For changes to an existing DS-260, it is not necessary to contact the Embassy or Consulate in advance.

So this means that it's not possible to reopen the DS260?

Hello all. I sent KCC an email to unlock my DS260 and their reply was: We are unable to assist you with your request regarding case number 2019××××××××. The Kentucky Consular Center can see that your DS-260 has been submitted and you will have an opportunity to view and make any necessary changes to your DS-260 after your initial Diversity Visa interview at a United States Embassy or Consulate. If there are changes within the information of your DS-260, please carry all documentation with you to your interview. If you need to submit a new DS-260 for a new spouse or child, please contact the Embassy or Consulate where your interview will take place after you receive a scheduling confirmation letter through the Diversity Visa Entrant Status Check system. For changes to an existing DS-260, it is not necessary to contact the Embassy or Consulate in advance.

So this means that it's not possible to reopen the DS260?

Yes, means your interview is scheduled and the DS has been transferred to the consulate.

While that's normally correct (as generally all of Brit's advice and information is) in my case it caused problems. Maybe it's the new procedures. In hindsight I should've waited for an interview date. I had already received the ready for scheduling email,when I needed to unlock. It not being scheduled yet, I send a quick unlock request, after which they asked explanation. I gave explanation, after which they cancelled the ready for scheduling status and told me there was additional time required for processing. If the interview was scheduled they might not have done this, or it would've been processed without delay via embassy. Of course every case is different and Brit's advice is normally correct, considering not every embassy is equally accommodating, and perhaps not every case is handled in the same manner or by the same staff.

While that's normally correct (as generally all of Brit's advice and information is) in my case it caused problems. Maybe it's the new procedures. In hindsight I should've waited for an interview date. I had already received the ready for scheduling email,when I needed to unlock. It not being scheduled yet, I send a quick unlock request, after which they asked explanation. I gave explanation, after which they cancelled the ready for scheduling status and told me there was additional time required for processing. If the interview was scheduled they might not have done this, or it would've been processed without delay via embassy. Of course every case is different and Brit's advice is normally correct, considering not every embassy is equally accommodating, and perhaps not every case is handled in the same manner or by the same staff.

Why did you unlock? and When was that?

Why did you unlock? and When was that?
I had "ready for scheduling" on 8 July. I used my Euro birth certificate which shows everything as I always knew, and as accepted by KCC. However, when I dug into my late father's documents I found an Asian birth registration with an apostilled/certified name change affidavit. I learned I was registered in two countries' birth registries, due to the my parents' different nationalities. Apparently, my birth name was changed per Asian newborn traditions, and subsequently my later Euro registration only shows the new name. I was unaware, since every ID I ever held shows the current name.

Nonetheless, it transpires I had an official name change (albeit it as newborn). I wanted to add this on DS-260 for accuracy, under "former names" on 16 July. Maybe it triggered a name check or something. Conclusion is that KCC considered it too late, and replied the DS_260 will not be unlocked. What's worse (and a little unexpected) further processing will also be stopped and no interview will be scheduled as a result. As such, this means DV-2019 has concluded for me! No processing via embassy either, which might otherwise have happened if I was scheduled. Maybe I should be thankful I got spared interview/doctor's fees since there's no telling the embassy would've responded well either! Anyway, I guess I can try my luck in the future and avoid the issue. Thanks to you all I got even this far, the DV-process was quite a mystery before I reached these resources.

I’ve never heard of that happening before - that is, KCC taking a decision to stop processing on the basis of a matter like that. (You’re not chargeable to Egypt I assume - I doubt it from your euro/Asian description, but just checking?)
@Britsimon - if KCC takes that decision would that be connected to their new document verification procedure perhaps?

I had "ready for scheduling" on 8 July. I used my Euro birth certificate which shows everything as I always knew, and as accepted by KCC. However, when I dug into my late father's documents I found an Asian birth registration with an apostilled/certified name change affidavit. I learned I was registered in two countries' birth registries, due to the my parents' different nationalities. Apparently, my birth name was changed per Asian newborn traditions, and subsequently my later Euro registration only shows the new name. I was unaware, since every ID I ever held shows the current name.

Nonetheless, it transpires I had an official name change (albeit it as newborn). I wanted to add this on DS-260 for accuracy, under "former names" on 16 July. Maybe it triggered a name check or something. Conclusion is that KCC considered it too late, and replied the DS_260 will not be unlocked. What's worse (and a little unexpected) further processing will also be stopped and no interview will be scheduled as a result. As such, this means DV-2019 has concluded for me! No processing via embassy either, which might otherwise have happened if I was scheduled. Maybe I should be thankful I got spared interview/doctor's fees since there's no telling the embassy would've responded well either! Anyway, I guess I can try my luck in the future and avoid the issue. Thanks to you all I got even this far, the DV-process was quite a mystery before I reached these resources.

Thanks for the clarification. I think your earlier comment was somewhat misleading.

You asked to unlock, but they did NOT unlock. But you probably explained this whole second birth cert story as the reason you wanted to unlock. But your story means you have two birth certificates from two different countries with two different names. Pretty obviously that undermines their background checks, and given the timing they cannot pass this to an embassy saying the background check is completed. My article below points out that some types of changes would cause a new background check to be required. Yours was pretty much certain to cause delays if you think through what you are explaining, and on July 16th a "delay" was not allowable, and you may not have noticed but I have been telling people NOT to unlock for some weeks now.

Frustrating and sad for you I am sure. Maybe there is a different plan for you...

http://britsimonsays.com/does-unlocking-cause-delays/

I’ve never heard of that happening before - that is, KCC taking a decision to stop processing on the basis of a matter like that. (You’re not chargeable to Egypt I assume - I doubt it from your euro/Asian description, but just checking?)
@Britsimon - if KCC takes that decision would that be connected to their new document verification procedure perhaps?

No - this was predictable. I just explained in a reply.

Thanks for the clarification. I think your earlier comment was somewhat misleading.

You asked to unlock, but they did NOT unlock. But you probably explained this whole second birth cert story as the reason you wanted to unlock. But your story means you have two birth certificates from two different countries with two different names. Pretty obviously that undermines their background checks, and given the timing they cannot pass this to an embassy saying the background check is completed. My article below points out that some types of changes would cause a new background check to be required. Yours was pretty much certain to cause delays if you think through what you are explaining, and on July 16th a "delay" was not allowable, and you may not have noticed but I have been telling people NOT to unlock for some weeks now.

Frustrating and sad for you I am sure. Maybe there is a different plan for you...

http://britsimonsays.com/does-unlocking-cause-delays/
Yes, I was asked to explain by KCC in a reply email as a condition for unlocking, so I did. I was chargeable to Thailand. Maybe I shouldn't have asked for unlock. In the greater scheme of things it's probably insignificant to have a newborn's name change added, no matter how official, just like no police papers are required for the period before 16yrs old. I guess I didn't want to be accused down the line, that I withheld information or misled, which could be used against me. Anyway, I'm fine with it. I'm not frustrated, I consider this the price for an act of honesty as best as I could know at the time I learned it. So I gladly accept the result. Yes, there's a different plan, that's certain. Thanks anyway.

Actually I was chargeable to Thailand. Personally, I always thought the embassy was the last word. I suppose that with the new upload procedure where documents and police/background certificates are asked in advance, the KCC has expanded and centralised authority not seen in other years. In previous years I've read people coming with documents and background checks at the last moment, during the interview itself, and the consular officer making ad-hoc decision to accept them or not.

No - this was predictable. I just explained in a reply.
Yes you did, but I also mentioned the Asian birth registration had an apostille-certified affidavit by my father, that the newborn's name was changed soon after birth to its final name as shown on the second birth certificate and all subsequent identity docs. So all in all, they both affirm to the same dates, places, final names, life and identity. In my judgement, because of those things it is rather self-evident that its not a different person on each document, so it shouldn't really warrant much of a game-changing process. I feel comfortable I did the right thing according to my conscience and estimation, even knowing KCC would have its own perception and rules over this, that would potentially deprive me of the DV as finally happened. So I let things be, because I wanted to be clear from my side.