• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Hello, after entering the US how long can i wait before paying the 220$ for the GC?

And can i work even if still don't have a GC?

Thanks

2nd question first. Yes

For the first question - you could wait some weeks - but don't test the limits of delaying the payment. It's $220, not $22,000. Make it a priority.

2nd question first. Yes

For the first question - you could wait some weeks - but don't test the limits of delaying the payment. It's $220, not $22,000. Make it a priority.
Oh ok thanks, why does it say in the uscis site that the passport stamp can last for a year after arrival?

Oh ok thanks, why does it say in the uscis site that the passport stamp can last for a year after arrival?

It says that because the validated visa is valid for one year. That however does not mean they expect new immigrants to wait for one year or several months before making the GC Card. The validated stamp is a temporary GC which may be used while one is waiting to receive the plastic GC.

Because it can. But be aware that although it’s technically the same as a green card, you may come across many people - prospective employers included - who don’t know what it is and want to see a plastic green card. They may not be technically legally correct, but arguing about that is not the best way to get a job.

Hello everyone, i have a question.
My cn is EU18xxx and i sended DS260 in the end of may when i was single.
Now i’m married and i have asked KCC to unlock my DS-260 for add my wife.
They answers me, and is unlocked now.
How can modify my DS260? Do you have link?

Hello everyone, i have a question.
My cn is EU18xxx and i sended DS260 in the end of may when i was single.
Now i’m married and i have asked KCC to unlock my DS-260 for add my wife.
They answers me, and is unlocked now.
How can modify my DS260? Do you have link?

You add your new spouse to your form. Then use the add applicant functionality to add a DS260 for your spouse. You will need to upload a scan of the marriage cert.

Thank you for your answer,
I need to modify my marital status too. Right?
I hope this not cause a delay for my interview

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer,
I need to modify my marital status too. Right?
I hope this not cause a delay for my interview

Yes you do.
You’re worried about your interview being delayed. Would you rather not make the necessary changes and risk being denied? Don’t you think being delayed is better than being denied?

I’m worried of everything.
Then i prefer to ask the help on this forum.
Are there any other tips on what should i do?
I have alzo kept the photos to prove that i have been engaged for several years with my wife.

I have another question regarding the DS260 form, so if anyone has a bit of spare time, your help will be appreciated! It is filled and processed etc. but actually my partner and I just remembered what we think might be a side thing but preferable to check; my partner got a tourist visa for one week years, and years ago just to go on a trip. At that time, ESTA did not exist. Does it count for the question "Have you ever been issued a US visa" or is this question only for longer, work based or family based visas?

We have replied "No" in the form; and now we are thinking, maybe that was a mistake? We would like some knowledge is anyone knows just to avoid an awkward situation at the interview if we have one. Just to make things very clear this was the previous equivalent of ESTA but was not requested online at that time, it was processed at the local Embassy, as a regular tourist visa.

I have another question regarding the DS260 form, so if anyone has a bit of spare time, your help will be appreciated! It is filled and processed etc. but actually my partner and I just remembered what we think might be a side thing but preferable to check; my partner got a tourist visa for one week years, and years ago just to go on a trip. At that time, ESTA did not exist. Does it count for the question "Have you ever been issued a US visa" or is this question only for longer, work based or family based visas?

We have replied "No" in the form; and now we are thinking, maybe that was a mistake? We would like some knowledge is anyone knows just to avoid an awkward situation at the interview if we have one. Just to make things very clear this was the previous equivalent of ESTA but was not requested online at that time, it was processed at the local Embassy, as a regular tourist visa.

You should answer yes to that question. The question is for any type of visa.

An unrelated question for you: are you actually married or you’re in a common-law relationship? I noticed your consistent use of the word “partner” hence the curiosity.

You should answer yes to that question. The question is for any type of visa.

An unrelated question for you: are you actually married or you’re in a common-law relationship? I noticed your consistent use of the word “partner” hence the curiosity.

Thanks for your reply, I am afraid we only remember the dates of the trip, we have no other information on the visa as it was long time ago and we do not have the involved passport anymore; is that an issue? I am not too sure exactly what kind of informations they require about this visa (for example, we do not remember the date of expiration of the actual visa).
EDIT: I just found online that they seem to required the dates, visa classification and visa number. We have only the dates so I do not know what to put in if we unlock. The visa classification does not exist anymore as now ESTA is the new regulation and we do not have the visa number anymore :/

Should we unlock it but again we are afraid of some delay in processing (though we have a bit of time as case EU292XX)? Do you think that question is delaying the process especially as it is concerning my partner, the main applicant?

And yes haha sorry 'partner' is not the accurate term, we are indeed married under the UK law (our country of residence), though not in France (our country of citizenship). Again thanks a lot for your help and advice, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, I am afraid we only remember the dates of the trip, we have no other information on the visa as it was long time ago and we do not have the involved passport anymore; is that an issue? I am not too sure exactly what kind of informations they require about this visa (for example, we do not remember the date of expiration of the actual visa).
EDIT: I just found online that they seem to required the dates, visa classification and visa number. We have only the dates so I do not know what to put in if we unlock. The visa classification does not exist anymore as now ESTA is the new regulation and we do not have the visa number anymore :/

Should we unlock it but again we are afraid of some delay in processing (though we have a bit of time as case EU292XX)? Do you think that question is delaying the process especially as it is concerning my partner, the main applicant?

And yes haha sorry 'partner' is not the accurate term, we are indeed married under the UK law (our country of residence), though not in France (our country of citizenship). Again thanks a lot for your help and advice, much appreciated!

It doesn’t matter wether the visa classification still exists or not. If you know what it’s called, put it down otherwise write unknown. If the system lets you proceed without the visa number, leave it blank otherwise put something like NA - be creative! You can always explain at the interview, if the issue comes up, that you don’t have the details of the issued visa. It makes more sense than to answer ‘No’ and make it look like you’re trying to hide something when they can already see this in their system.

Delayed is better than denied, don’t you think? I’m not saying this new information may lead to a delay, but so what if it does. Or would you rather be denied on the assumption of withholding pertinent information?

It doesn’t matter wether the visa classification still exists or not. If you know what it’s called, put it down otherwise write unknown. If the system lets you proceed without the visa number, leave it blank otherwise put something like NA - be creative! You can always explain at the interview, if the issue comes up, that you don’t have the details of the issued visa. It makes more sense than to answer ‘No’ and make it look like you’re trying to hide something when they can already see this in their system.

Delayed is better than denied, don’t you think? I’m not saying this new information may lead to a delay, but so what if it does. Or would you rather be denied on the assumption of withholding pertinent information?

Many thanks for taking this time to provide me with advice Sm1smom, you absolutely right we are now trying to see how to get back the info and be as precise as possible otherwise for sure we will unlock and put something like "Unknown" in case we cannot find out the number in the next coming days. We aim to unlock and re-submit very quickly anyway to avoid being too much delayed, but if I remember well this is something like approximately 3 or 4 months for processing (I thought I read that on Simon's blog) which should lead to a right timing for our EU29XXX case anyway if I'm right?

Thanks again!

I dont want to be rude or something and I will apologize in advance if offending someone.

But why did you thought to not add that pertinent information in the beginning Ben-London? And why do you have a doubt on re-opening the DS comparing to the big possibility of getting deniend if pertinent information is withheld?!?

I really dont understand such things and do believe people should pay the upmost attention when proceeding in the DV process. Because if you are selected then you are luckier than many others trying year after year in the process. But if selected you will lose the visa because of stupid mistakes then you really screwed not only your chances but the chances of another person that, if chosen, might have paid more attention than you.

Again no disrespect or something and sorry if my words are too direct and might hurt

I dont want to be rude or something and I will apologize in advance if offending someone.

But why did you thought to not add that pertinent information in the beginning Ben-London? And why do you have a doubt on re-opening the DS comparing to the big possibility of getting deniend if pertinent information is withheld?!?

I really dont understand such things and do believe people should pay the upmost attention when proceeding in the DV process. Because if you are selected then you are luckier than many others trying year after year in the process. But if selected you will lose the visa because of stupid mistakes then you really screwed not only your chances but the chances of another person that, if chosen, might have paid more attention than you.

Again no disrespect or something and sorry if my words are too direct and might hurt

Hi Alindragos, honestly it is down to having forgotten this, simply. We have made several back and forth to the US since and as French citizens, ESTA is now the only necessary requirement to enter the country since... 2009! Frankly this is the only time one of us had a proper visa and we simply found out an old city map when tidying up the flat and thought wait... wasn't this an actual visa? Better catch up now than later, you are absolutely right.

Many thanks for taking this time to provide me with advice Sm1smom, you absolutely right we are now trying to see how to get back the info and be as precise as possible otherwise for sure we will unlock and put something like "Unknown" in case we cannot find out the number in the next coming days. We aim to unlock and re-submit very quickly anyway to avoid being too much delayed, but if I remember well this is something like approximately 3 or 4 months for processing (I thought I read that on Simon's blog) which should lead to a right timing for our EU29XXX case anyway if I'm right?

Thanks again!

Again, and for the last time, STOP STRESSING needlessly about being delayed. Focus on getting things right!

Hi! We are also having a super stressful time in our lives since we are getting married before getting the Green Card and our number is quite high. It is EU32XXX. Trying to be positive by checking the recent years numbers as it always have gone Current or ended at least around 40xxx but this year it seems the numbers are going quite slowly.

What do you guys think? Is it a long shot this year with this number or it's more or less the same with recent years? Thanks!

Hi! We are also having a super stressful time in our lives since we are getting married before getting the Green Card and our number is quite high. It is EU32XXX. Trying to be positive by checking the recent years numbers as it always have gone Current or ended at least around 40xxx but this year it seems the numbers are going quite slowly.

What do you guys think? Is it a long shot this year with this number or it's more or less the same with recent years? Thanks!

Congratulations on your marriage. Have you planned it so that you will have enough time to unlock the DS and add the spouse before the interview is scheduled?