• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Thank you for your messege. Why do u think the KCC sent me an email today with attached adjustment letter if they knew my number is not current soon?

KCC sent you the letter because you filled and submitted DS260 form, or did you not submit the form? KCC does not take into consideration how high or low the CN is when dealing with selectees who decide to process AOS. They simply send out the email with the attachments letting you know what the next step should be as they will not be processing your case. It is your responsibility to find out if you’re eligible to process AOS or not, and to know when and if your CN will become current.

KCC sent you the letter because you filled and submitted DS260 form, or did you not submit the form? KCC does not take into consideration how high or low the CN is when dealing with selectees who decide to process AOS. They simply send out the email with the attachments letting you know what the next step should be as they will not be processing your case. It is your responsibility to find out if you’re eligible to process AOS or not, and to know when and if your CN will become current.
Thank you for the response. Yes I did send the form last summer. In your experience, when should I send the adjustment letter ( which month this year) because I read USCIS Needs more time to process the application. ( I just want to remind you my case number is around 11 thousands, Asia). Thank you.

Thank you for the response. Yes I did send the form last summer. In your experience, when should I send the adjustment letter ( which month this year) because I read USCIS Needs more time to process the application. ( I just want to remind you my case number is around 11 thousands, Asia). Thank you.

I can’t tell you which month. Like I already said, keep an eye on the VB, monitor the progression until you get a better idea of if your CN is likely to become current or not. Meanwhile, use the time in between to go through the AOS process spreadsheet to ensure you understand the different steps involved with the process.

Hey guys,

Please be aware this is probably a stupid question, however I've always believed there are no stupid questions only stupid mistakes...

The instructions for filling out the I-485 form state that "If something does not apply to you...type or print N/A". This is a little confusing as there are large sections of the form that do not apply to me, such as information about current and prior marriages or children. Here comes the stupid part...are we supposed to put N/A in all these boxes? or should we just leave sections that don't apply to us as blank?

An example of this is Part 6. Info on children, after stating that I have none, am I then supposed to put N/A in all the following boxes?

Thanks,
Aaron

Hey guys,

Please be aware this is probably a stupid question, however I've always believed there are no stupid questions only stupid mistakes...

The instructions for filling out the I-485 form state that "If something does not apply to you...type or print N/A". This is a little confusing as there are large sections of the form that do not apply to me, such as information about current and prior marriages or children. Here comes the stupid part...are we supposed to put N/A in all these boxes? or should we just leave sections that don't apply to us as blank?

An example of this is Part 6. Info on children, after stating that I have none, am I then supposed to put N/A in all the following boxes?

Thanks,
Aaron

Please find a snapshot of I-485 - Part 6 that I submitted for AOS DV2018. I hope this will help.

IMG_20180209_102912_small.jpg

Please find a snapshot of I-485 - Part 6 that I submitted for AOS DV2018. I hope this will help.

View attachment 800

Thanks mate.
Did you submit this awhile ago? In other words did it all go through ok?
Seems a little weird to be writing N/A in locations where there is no spot for it (E.g. Yes/No tick boxes) especially as I'm filling it out digitally. I would be more inclined to leave blank..

What is your take on this mom?

Thanks,
Aaron

Thanks mate.
Seems a little weird to be writing N/A in locations where there is no spot for it (E.g. Yes/No tick boxes) especially as I'm filling it out digitally. I would be more inclined to leave blank..

Thanks,
Aaron
I think you are overthinking this. Just put "0" where it asks you how many kids you have, and leave the rest blank.

Thanks mate.

Thanks,
Aaron

Yes, I submitted the I-485 in Nov 2017.
I read/followed spreadsheet of this forum and completed the DV2018 AOS process (green card received in early Feb 2018, please find my timeline in the spreadsheet).
All the best.

Thanks mate.

Thanks,
Aaron
I think you are overthinking this. Just put "0" where it asks you how many kids you have, and leave the rest blank.
Yup
Yes, I submitted the I-485 in Nov 2017.
I read/followed spreadsheet of this forum and completed the DV2018 AOS process (green card received in early Feb 2018, please find my timeline in the spreadsheet).
All the best.

Bottom line...
It’s human beings reading the forms, deciding your case based on the merits. They’re not going to deny you because you filled in one more or less N/A than you’re technically supposed to.

Thanks mate.

Thanks,
Aaron

My take is you have accurate answers from @pegnyon and others who have responded.

Just as a side note, looking at how I-485 is evolving I think USCIS is trying to minimize the impact of empty space vs N/A (or None). As an example, the question regarding present and past membership in various organization not so long ago used to be just a table that you filled directly. Not typing explicitly NONE in the first row, often resulted in RFE. However, in the current version of the form, there's an explicit question (Part 8. Item.1), and only if you answer 'Yes' they ask you to fill Item 2.-13.b.
Bottom line I'd say always apply common sense, though bear in mind that DV's gonna be only my 2nd time when I file this form :)

Yup

Bottom line...
It’s human beings reading the forms, deciding your case based on the merits. They’re not going to deny you because you filled in one more or less N/A than you’re technically supposed to.

100% overthinking that's why I prefaced it with being a "stupid question".
The attorney I spoke to awhile back prior to deciding to submit by myself, scared me a little by saying that it can easily be rejected for incorrectly filling out the form. Probably just trying to fear me into paying thousands for essentially filling it out for me.

Also - I believe the form is actually scanned and read by a computer initially to catch any obvious errors, hence the need for strict guidelines in how it is filled out

100% overthinking that's why I prefaced it with being a "stupid question".
The attorney I spoke to awhile back prior to deciding to submit by myself, scared me a little by saying that it can easily be rejected for incorrectly filling out the form. Probably just trying to fear me into paying thousands for essentially filling it out for me.

Yup

I assume any such obvious errors as you refer to will be marked for correction prior to it being accepted as submitted

I received my bio letters today and they actually scheduled my 13 years old (turning 14 in April) an appointment as well, not complaining but does that make sense?
I only paid the $750 for him and no bio fees!!!!!!

I received my bio letters today and they actually scheduled my 13 years old (turning 14 in April) an appointment as well, not complaining but does that make sense?
I only paid the $750 for him and no bio fees!!!!!!

Yes, that is normal. His picture and thumb print still gets captured for the GC. His fingerprints however will not be captured since no background check will be conducted.

So if your CN is expected to become current in April, you find out in February and can file same month based on the early memo filing guidance (and fingers crossed your FO/assigned IO is familiar with that and wouldn’t cause you unnecessary griefs).

When you get interviewed depends on your FO’s workload and your background check clearance. A lawyer cannot speed up the process. Reaching out to your congress person in advance will not move the needle either - they assist with following up on pending cases to find out what is causing the delay, not with expediting the process.

You should have gone the CP route in this case, but then I don’t know what other issues you had to contend with before deciding on going with AOS.

Thank you, Mom.

I must translate my birth certificate, do you have any translators to suggest me?

Also, I feel my situation is very delicate and complex and it would be worth speaking with a lawyer before filing for AoS (For example, it is not clear to me if I should file for EAD). I read a post of Simon saying that you risk finding a lawyer that is not well knowledgeable about the whole process. Would you be able to suggest me a lawyer that has been dealing with AoS?

Thanks

Thank you, Mom.

I must translate my birth certificate, do you have any translators to suggest me?

Also, I feel my situation is very delicate and complex and it would be worth speaking with a lawyer before filing for AoS (For example, it is not clear to me if I should file for EAD). I read a post of Simon saying that you risk finding a lawyer that is not well knowledgeable about the whole process. Would you be able to suggest me a lawyer that has been dealing with AoS?

Thanks

1. No I don’t have any translation service I can recommend. Do a google search for that.

2. Sorry, can’t do a lawyer recommendation either.
+ 1 re what Simon told you on his blog. Simon is truly a sage regarding DV lottery, he knows his stuff!

I really don’t see anything delicate and complex regarding your case based on what you’ve posted to date except of course for the fact that you wish to get the GC early to aid your medical residency program. And frankly speaking, there’s absolutely nothing any lawyer can do regarding that.

The AOS process spreadsheet has simplified and demystifed the entire process. If you carefully go over it, then return to ask specific questions about any other thing that isn’t quite clear to you, I see no reason as to why anyone will need the services of a lawyer, except of course those having complications such as status violations or deemed ineligible to process AOS. But I get it, it is your case and your future, so to say. So if you think your mind will be at rest by using the services of a lawyer, then do so.