• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with a question I have re filling out the DS260 please? I'm up to the part where I enter my parents details. I'm entering where my mum was born (Glasgow, Scotland) and I swear I've been looking at the list of countries till my eyes go fuzzy and there is no Scotland to choose from.

Is this a big deal or could I just enter Glasgow in the City field and Scotland in the State/Province field and then just select United Kingdom? I thought of doing this as Scotland is technically part of the UK but so is Northern Ireland and Northern Ireland is listed as one of the countries to choose from in the drop down menu.

Not sure how important the answer to this question is or if I'm over-thinking.

Thanks guys!

UK

Hi everyone,

Just checking in to say hi and thanks for all the support over the last few months. I've been lurking in the background and sopping up all the information I can.

Don't know how my sanity would have survived without the pages of reassurance everyone on here has provided.

I have a pretty good case number OC09X so I'm hoping for an October interview. I filled in the DS-260 early May and reopened it for a day in July to fix up an error with my dad's place of birth and add a trip to the US. We'll see if that make a difference.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and I'll let you all know any updates as I get them!

Hi All just found this forum i was selected with a number of OC 20XX . Do i have any hope of being selected?

I notice this years bulletin has gone current, doesnt that mean all numbers will be accepted?

Hi and welcome to the forum!
There's a comprehensive analysis of DV2018 selectee numbers here
I think it answers both your questions.

Thank you. Ok so odds aren't in my favour but who knows what may happen. My wife also won and has a 10XX number but she is claiming on Work Experience and i know this can be quite a hard route to take and end up being a waste of money, hence hoping i could go on my entry

Your wife will definitely get an interview and claiming on Work Experience isn't as hard as people think. @Britsimon will have some great advice for her on how to succeed via that route, if you ask him.

Hi everyone,

I've read a lot about either claiming on work experience or education, but at what point do you make that choice? When I filled out the DS260 I just answered all the Qs about work and education as prompted. There didn't seem to be an opportunity to elect one or the other as a basis for being assessed on. Do you make the choice at the interview stage?

I also read that the US consulate would take your passport at the interview. How long do they usually need it for? (E.g. a few moments, hours, weeks?)

Thanks for everyones contributions on this forum!

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I've read a lot about either claiming on work experience or education, but at what point do you make that choice? When I filled out the DS260 I just answered all the Qs about work and education as prompted. There didn't seem to be an opportunity to elect one or the other as a basis for being assessed on. Do you make the choice at the interview stage?

I also read that the US consulate would take your passport at the interview. How long do they usually need it for? (E.g. a few moments, hours, weeks?)

Thanks for everyones contributions on this forum!

Cheers

You don't get to make the selection before hand. The default criteria is via education, so you will be asked for your diploma/certificate at the time of your interview. If you don't meet the educational criteria that is when you indicat your using work experience.

Passport is retained on average for a couple of days which could be end up being weeks or months if one ends up on AP.

Hi all, I'm a fellow DV 2018 OC selectee. I have been reading the forum over the past few months, gleaning as much useful info as I can. It's been a fantastic resource. I have an OC 03xx number so am hoping for a November interview.

Just saying hi for the moment!

Your wife will definitely get an interview and claiming on Work Experience isn't as hard as people think. @Britsimon will have some great advice for her on how to succeed via that route, if you ask him.
Thank you, ill check his blog for details. Ive just never seen any info on what paper work is required to prove your job.

Look through his blog and do a search on this forum, as there are many who qualify on work experience and have shared their experiences.

To be fair, there are also many who have failed trying to qualify by work experience - some of those admittedly were dodgy attempts. The key is to genuinely have been doing a job that meets the requirements AND being able to prove it.

Hi All,
Please excuse if this has already been answered but I am trying to cover all basis.
I have my interview in 7 weeks. I need my Year 12 completion certificate but do I need to find my primary school one also? If I have that I do not need any letters from employers etc, is that correct?
Also regarding the National Police check and the Queensland Police Check. Do I also need fingerprints to go with that?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi All,
Please excuse if this has already been answered but I am trying to cover all basis.
I have my interview in 7 weeks. I need my Year 12 completion certificate but do I need to find my primary school one also? If I have that I do not need any letters from employers etc, is that correct?
Also regarding the National Police check and the Queensland Police Check. Do I also need fingerprints to go with that?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi James

High School is a must if you want to qualify through education. Primary school not needed.

You need an AFP check, which covers all states (so Qld Police check not needed). The consulate website says fingerprints are preferred but they will accept a no fingerprints report if it covers both spent and unspent offences. Pretty sure it's report "33" when you apply on the AFP website.

Congrats on the interview!

Last edited:
Hi All,

figured I should introduce myself rather than lurking. I managed to jag 2018OC000016XX first time around. I was pretty excited and rushed to get my DS260 in and 'beat the queue'. Wondering whether to expect an interview in October I did some digging around this site and, well, needless to say I've now seen the error of my ways.:p So, from what I've managed to pick up from the wealth of info on this forum, we could be in for a wild ride.

My wife and I feel fortunate to be in with a shot (plenty missed out completely) but that CN will keep us hanging for some time yet. Come what may I'll be trying my best to stay chill and enjoy the process, so best of luck to all you OC'ers out there and stay tuned for plenty of noob questions.

Hi All,

figured I should introduce myself rather than lurking. I managed to jag 2018OC000016XX first time around. I was pretty excited and rushed to get my DS260 in and 'beat the queue'. Wondering whether to expect an interview in October I did some digging around this site and, well, needless to say I've now seen the error of my ways.:p So, from what I've managed to pick up from the wealth of info on this forum, we could be in for a wild ride.

My wife and I feel fortunate to be in with a shot (plenty missed out completely) but that CN will keep us hanging for some time yet. Come what may I'll be trying my best to stay chill and enjoy the process, so best of luck to all you OC'ers out there and stay tuned for plenty of noob questions.

Make sure you re-enter for DV2019 to give yourself a shot at plan B

Hi
I have moved since filing my DS-260 . what would be the best way to inform KCC about this and to make sure i will get contacted regarding the interview.
Thank you