Documents needed for Naturalization

If one is applying for N400 based on 5 yr stay but has terminated first marriage is still need to enclose the copy of divorce or marriage certificate with second spouse.

A proof of termination of prior marriage (Divorce Decree) is always required to send along with the application, and also take the certified copy of it with you to the interview.

As for the marriage certificate then you should take it with you at the interview because officer very well could ask for it because adjudication officers are required to update every applicant's marital history in their immigration file. So just take it with you at the time of interview.

Good luck...

I have a quick question...i've the N-400 application ready i'm just going over the doc's to make sure everything looks good...one thing i'm little confused about are they Tax Returns it says last 3 yrs from the USCIS site I was under the impression it was last 5yrs just wanted to double check this part...i got the last 3yrs thanks

JZ

I have a quick question...i've the N-400 application ready i'm just going over the doc's to make sure everything looks good...one thing i'm little confused about are they Tax Returns it says last 3 yrs from the USCIS site I was under the impression it was last 5yrs just wanted to double check this part...i got the last 3yrs thanks

JZ

If you're applying on the basis of a 3 year marriage to a U.S. Citizen, bring tax returns/transcripts for the last 3 years. If you're applying on the basis of a 5 year LPR, bring returns/transcripts for the last 5 years.

Ok, now I have a question about bearing arms which I cannot do because of my faith. I brought this up in another thread and I am not sure what to think now. My faith is not of organized religion so there is no congregation. We all practice at home. How do I get a document saying I cannot bear arms? If I cannot file for citizenship because of this, I understand.

I just came back from an interview and they asked me to bring Voter's Registration Application, Voting Records and evidence of removal from the roll of registered voters. All this because I voted one time back in 2000. I was stupid enough to think it was okay for anyone who is married to a US Citizen can vote too. I am afraid that they will deny my application because of this. I passed the writen and oral exam but I needed to submit those document before a dicision is made. Does anyone know what I have to do in this case to make sure they don't deny my application? please I have until the end of this month to submit these documents. do I have to hire a lawyer?

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the attorney's that I spoke to suggested that I take W2's from the past years, for the interview. I didn't see this listed in this thread.

Additionally, I'm thinking of taking the "driving record" from the "department of licencing" -- not sure if it's required.

Ok, now I have a question about bearing arms which I cannot do because of my faith. I brought this up in another thread and I am not sure what to think now. My faith is not of organized religion so there is no congregation. We all practice at home. How do I get a document saying I cannot bear arms? If I cannot file for citizenship because of this, I understand.

Did you get your question resolved? I have posted an additional response to a similar topic here:

http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=2077244&postcount=17

More references can be found here:

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=2069355#post2069355

If you do not have a congregation, one option would be to write the letter yourself, explain that fact and make sure you cover the three crucial points. You might include a document from your religion that confirms that there is no congregation.

You could also contact Conscientious Objector organizations, such as "Center on Conscience and War":

www.centeronconscience.org

Traffic citations and N-400

Dear friends:

5 years ago, I was very active on these forums as gc-despo. I got my green card in Oct 2004, and since then I had not visited. Imagine my pleasent surprise that my account is still valid.

Now it has been 4 yrs, 9 mo since getting the GC, and I am eligible to apply for citizenship. While filling out the N-400, I came across the question #16:

"Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?" --- Well, I have recieved 2 traffic citations, and my wife 3 or 4. All our tickets were for less than $500.

Do we need to answer "Yes" to this question and then list all those traffic citations on the table in the N-400 form. Problem is that I do not know the exact dates of the citations, nor even the exact location in one case (it was somewhere in Michigan!).

If we have to list all of them, then how do I go about collecting that information. Does local DMV (we are based in Calif) keep records of citations from other states?

Thanks a lot,
GC-despo (now citi-despo!)

Id/dl

As far as the gvmt-issued ID/DL, is it a must to show an ID with a local address? My DL is from a different state that I moved from to attend school somewhere else, and I plan to return back after finishing(within the next 8 months). I do not want to change my DL since this will affect my residency status (for school purpose) at my original state.

Is it possible to just show proof of currnt residence (i.e. lease contract, school ID) during the interview as a proof of residence in the current jurisdiction?

Good question. I would like to know the answer too!

Local DMVs do not keep records of out-of-state traffic violations. The only state that keeps records of out-of-state violations is New York, but only if the violations occurred in Ontario or Quebec provinces of Canada. NYS has a special arrangement with those provinces.

It's my personal opinion that it's not necessary to disclose minor traffic tickets (especially those for which it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to obtain records) that are non-DUI/DWI offenses and are under $500. If the OP insists on disclosing his and his wife's traffic tickets, he should contact the Michigan DMV and obtain copies of their driver records. If the tickets show up, disclose them. If not, don't.

Passport About to Expire....before Citizenship Qualification

Hi All,
I have been reading through this site for years as a guest and it has been very informative. But this time, I NEED help!

Thanks so much JohnnyCash. YOu are indeed a blessing to immigrants! God Bless you.

MY CASE:

1* My national passport Expires May 2010. And I got my GC through Asylum, I had it renewed in 2007 at the Embassy in DC, but the lady told me that I would have to change to the new booklet next time (meaning I have to get new passport, and I dont know that my original country will give me new passport booklet seeing I am an asylee)

2* I will qualify for my 5year LPR March 2010.

3* Can i go ahead and apply now for my Citizenship? I still have 7 more months....but for the time it takes to get the citizenship, I am thinking if I apply now and explain my situation to them, would that help me? Because if I do not get my American Citizenship and Passport by the end of May 2010, then, I will not have any International Passport at all, and wont be able to travel no more. And in my business, international travel is a must.

4* Also, I had traveled to a country that is 4 countries away from my original country, but did not go to my country. Would that bring any suspicion?

5* Presently, due to economic changes in my business, I had disposed of my house in 2007 and also my car in 2008. So, presently, I am staying with a friend, I pay my share of the bills, but my name is not on the rental lease, and the car I drive presently is not registered in my name. Would that be a problem proving where I live?

6* My credit history is a mess at the moment too....credit card collections, closed bank accounts, a hospital bill judgement.....are these considered for Citizenship?

7* I had traffic tickets between 2004-2006....driving on the shoulder, running a red light, driving 10m over speed limit. The shoulder driving and 10km, I went to court and paid the fines because the cops were unfair, but I didnt get any point.....for the red light, I just paid the fine and that was it. Should I write all this in my N400 application? Seeing none of the fines were over $85?

8* A former friend took me to court over a house we owned together, but I was out of country during the court date and he won by default. And I have a judgement on my credit history, is that a problem with N400 application?

9* I am self employed, what do I need to take to the Interview?

This is first question on this site and I am desperately in need of an answer.

Thanks All

Any more docs needed for N400 app?

Hello JohnnyCash:
Thanks so much for posting all this info...
This tread indicates that this list continues...Are there any more documents needed with the N400 application?
Cheers!
-krsn1@yahoo.com

Documents needed to submit along with application for Naturalization (N-400):

Each applicant for naturalization SHOULD submit the following along with their naturalization application:

[1] Cover letter: Though submitting a cover letter along with your naturalization application is not necessary, however it is highly recommended, wherein applicant should explain briefly about the basis of his/her eligibility for naturalization, such as whether applicant is filing the application under 3 yrs rule being a spouse of USC or under 5 yrs rule, or under any other eligibility in the law. This helps greatly to adjudication officers to know the basis of applicant’s eligibility right away at very first glance, otherwise sometimes some people’s eligibility is very hard to determine being complicated. And, not every adjudication officers are that much familiar with all the eligibilities for naturalization even though they are adjudication officers since laws and policies on immigration are kept changing very frequently and rapidly. Besides, at the time of naturalization, adjudication officers do pay attention to a cover letter, believe it or not.

[2] Copy of front and backside of green card. It must be a very clear copy so that information could be read very clearly from there.

[3] Two identical colored photos, wherein applicant’s full name and A# should have written by light pencil in the back of them. Photos should be as same style and size as we need for a passport, means- a front view of the applicant and not the side view as the pictures with side view are no longer accepted for immigration purpose. Further, photos should be taken within 30 days of filing the application.

[4] Check or money order for the right amount of the processing fees for the application: Though it doesn’t make much difference how you would choose to pay the processing fee, however it should be known that sometimes Service Centers, particularly TSC, and some district offices (if you would file any other petition/application with them with fees) do wait for a receipt (NOA) to send out to an applicant until a personal check gets cashed out if an applicant pays the processing fees with his/her personal check.

Nevertheless, it is always better to pay the processing fee with a personal check because if you choose to pay the processing fee by money order then it would not only be hard but also a time and money consuming to track down the proof of payment. Because, then you would require to file a paper work with postal service if money order is purchased from a post office, wherein you would be ended up paying some money (maybe $2 or $3) to track down whether such money order is cashed out or not. And it also takes almost 60 days for a post office to furnish this request. But if you would pay by your personal check then you would be able to receive the cancelled check back from your bank once USCIS will cash that out, which means-there won’t be a waste of time and money, and you would also have a solid proof to prove to USCIS about them having the processing fee from you on your application. But make sure to write your A# and the N-400 on the topside of the check where your name and address is printed.

Actually, there are pros and cons of both these methods of payment towards processing fees.

Using Money Order to pay processing fees:

Advantage: USCIS will post the payment/processing fees right away without any waiting. That means, a quick acceptance and initial processing on the application.

Disadvantage: It's time and money consuming to track down whether it is cashed out or not. Money Orders from American Express, MoneyGram and other private entities are easily traceable but Postal Money Orders are hard to track down right away. Plus, one would need the actual copy of paid money order in order to contact USCIS if they ever have any question on their application in the absence of any receipt from USCIS. It takes up to 60 days and few more bucks to have actual physical proof of cashing it out. That means, one will not have any proof of paying the processing fees to USCIS in the meantime if the application gets lost/misplaced with USCIS, which could be the possibility. However, if USCIS sends you a receipt then one doesn't need to worry about tracking it down.

Using Personal Check to pay processing fees:

Advantage: It's easily traceable, One can check with their bank if it's cashed out or not. Plus, the cancelled check would be the proof right in hand to prove that processing fees was paid to USCIS if application is ever happened to be lost/misplaced.

Disadvantage: USCIS waits for it to be cleared for few days. That means, a little delay in processing.

[5] Divorce/Annulment Decree: If you were previously married, then you must need to send the divorce/annulment decree to INS to prove that your previously marriage has ended legally.

[6] Certified Court record(s): If you ever been arrested or charged for a crime, then you must need to send certified copy of the disposition of your case to INS. If your criminal case is still going on, then don’t bother to file Naturalization because INS will deny your application anyway.

[7] Status Information Letter from Selective Service: If you are man, who was required to register with Selective Service, must need to send Status Information Letter’.

Continues because of the limitation on size of a posting...

Looking for N-400 informations

Hello all,
I need some information regarding to N-400

1- I got my condtional ( 2 year ) GC based on marriage with US citizen on October 2006 and removed condition on ( 10 yr ) on July 2009. My 3 year GC time period ends on October 2009.

Am I qualifying for N-400 ( based on 3 year rules ) . Does 3 years rules for applying N-400 start from conditonal GC (1st GC ) or 3 years count starts from after removing condition ( 10 year GC )

2. If I apply N-400 does It require your spouse to go with you in interview
since I am having some ups and downs with my spouse I am not sure if she will go with me in interview.

thanks you

Hello JohnnyCash:
Thanks so much for posting all this info...
This tread indicates that this list continues...Are there any more documents needed with the N400 application?
Cheers!
-krsn1@yahoo.com

Yes, there is one more doucment should be taken along with others stated in my posting which is W-2s of the spouse if citizenship application is based on 3 yrs rule. I've already included this in my list and reasoning too.

Do I need divorce paper for N400?

I was married and divorced in India while on GC. My ex-wife never been to US.
However, I have been filing my Tax returns as single. I have never mentioned about Marriage & Divorce in any of US documents.
Do I still need to mention about this marriage and submit Divorce certificate when filling for N400?

Appreciate your comments.

I am ready to file N-400 based on employment GC.

Can somebody please provide a list of documents that I need to send along with N400 application?

Regards

Cheru