Misc. OCI Application Questions

Kids with PIO and parents with OCI

will there be any issue if the Kids continue to stay in PIO and just apply OCI for me and my wife
I can avoid some hassle and of course money - I do not see any mandatory requirement that everybody in house got to convert to OCI

Why cannot kids stay in PIO for next odd years- can they? save some money and hassle more of the latter
Just do OCI for parents

Sorry for double post and I couldn't delete the earlier one I did

Ginnu,

my minor kids have PIO. So the fees is $145.00
me and wife is $275 * 2 = $550.
kids = $145 * 2 = $290

$550 + $290 = $840.

I will be sending a single Casheirs Check for $840.

the $20.00 for return fee, I am going to send only after the OCI is granted and when I send my passports.

Why cannot kids stay in PIO for next odd years- can they?
save some money and hassle more of the latter
Just do OCI for parents

Sorry for double post and I couldn't delete the earlier one I did

-------They can stay PIO but OCI is much better and for life and they dont have to file PIO or OCI in future. nobody knows what fee they will have in future. FYI till september if One had PIO and wanted OCI one only needed to pay $25 and now PIO has to pay $145. better to be done for parents and kids at same time.

will there be any issue if the Kids continue to stay in PIO and just apply OCI for me and my wife
-------------That is OK.
I can avoid some hassle and of course money - I do not see any mandatory requirement that everybody in house got to convert to OCI
------------------- Please remember PIO is for 15 years then again the Fees for PIO and nobody knows what will be the fees for PIO in future. if one has PIO then after some years wants OCI the Fee for OCI is not going to be current fees.
I prefer OCI for family you have your reasons to keep Kids on PIO. do what is best for your family .

You are right and its better to keep all in one place and I was just checking will there be an issue
that's all - they still have 25$ conversion for all adults and they figured easy way to make money with minor kids

You are right and its better to keep all in one place and I was just checking will there be an issue
that's all - they still have 25$ conversion for all adults and they figured easy way to make money with minor kids

Do it when their passport expires. I do not know if PIO has a link to the passport, but OCI does. So get OCI on the new passport. Gives you a few years to think and decide ... since there is no hurry.

OCI Fee not consistent between CGI, NY and MHA, India

Fee listed for OCI links is not consistent. Experienced experts, pl clarify what is the correct fee.

In CGI, NY:
http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=176&partid=100&sub=sub6
15. What is the fee for application for registration as OCI?
US$ 275 for each applicant to be drawn by certified check/money order in favor of Consulate General of India, New York. In case of PIO card holder, US$ 145 for each applicant. The OCI fee for more than one applicants, including mailing fee, can be consolidated in to one certified check/money order.

http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=175&partid=100&sub=sub4
In Step2:
Application Fee is US$275 per applicant. A separate fee of US$20 for return mailing is also charged (this mailing charge can be sent at the time of collection of OCI Card). For PIO Card Holders, the fee for OCI is US$145. (Applicants can send PIO card, U.S. passport and mailing charges at the time of collection). Fee will be accepted in money orders & certified cheques only (in favour of Consulate General of India, New York) and not by Personal cheques. This money will not be refundable.

In MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS site
http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-chart.pdf
5. US $ 275 or equivalent in
local currency. In case of
PIO card holders, it is US
$ 25 or equivalent in
local currency.

275 is the correct fee for new OCI.
145 is the correct fee for PIO to OCI conversion. This changed a few months back (September 2009 I believe), but yes not all websites are consistent.

Thank you. DC site specifies it better.

http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp
H. Fee:

Application fee: Cashier check/Postal Order of $ 275 (two hundred and seventy five only) per new application and $145 for each MINOR PIO Card holder and $25 for each adult PIO Card holder.

Mailing Fee: $20 or SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED UPS ENVELOPE

Please make payable to “Embassy of India, Washington DC”. One Cashier check/Postal Order for entire amount for a family is accepted

Cash, Personal Checks, credit cards or any other form of banking instruments are not accepted.

Remember this applies only to Washington DC - also I noticed the part-B reprint form differs from original (it drops one question all together)

new or renew indian tourist visa?

I am a US citizen visiting India on a one year tourist visa. It was issued Jan 28, and I entered India on February 28. I wish to return to the US October 4, but I need to do something to start a new stay in India. Do I have to renew a visa, or just leave the country and come right back in? I guess Bangladesh is the safest area at the moment, (Pak and Sri Lanka dont scream "safety" to me). The visa says that I can only stay for 180 days per visit. Do I have to renew a visa, or just leave the country and come right back in?

Indian visa rules for such visas are evolving. Till recently, it was ok to reuse a multiple entry tourist visa and come right back. A few months back they put in a restriction of waiting out of India for 2 months before being allowed to re-enter --- due to some terrorist activities a year back which had an American citizen involved. Then they relaxed it for many categories, but not all. You never know how things will be in 6 months time since the security situation is being tightened again the last couple of days due to a bombing in Pune.

BTW, today is Feb 16 - how did you enter Feb 28???? If you are still in US, your best option at this time, without knowing future in advance, will be to get a 1 year visa if you can.

Also, if you are of Indian origin, you can get an entry visa valid for much longer duration. It might be cheaper to get a second visa than travel back and forth to Bangladesh and with no guarantee of return.

If you can describe your situation a bit more, I or others can throw out some more ideas.

Question 16 missing in PartB after reprinting..

Weird...

When I reprint the form the question 16 "Does the country of applicants permit Dual citizen..." is missing. I saw the question when I printed initially. Later when I print again dont see it...:confused:

How about a PIO or OCI? they do not carry the same restrictions yet

Correct. PIO and OCI do not have same restrictions. However, PIOs must register with FRRO every 6 months ... which is a hassle that can be avoided with OCI.

Another thing - conversion of a visa to OCI (and maybe PIO) can be done within India. However, India does not allow you to change visa type / purpose so easily. It depends - I know that with an employment visa they would not even let you change employer without going out of the country and getting a new visa first.

All this depends on the OP's eligibility for such visas or PIO or OCI.

US passports sent without Indian passports

Greetings,
OCI approved and docs recd at CGINY on Feb 6th.
My Indian passports have been already cancelled, do I still have to send them along with the US passports ?
My Indian passports have been cancelled, as I recently traveled to India with Indian visas, and they had cancelled our Indian passports.

Someone with similar experience please reply.

Regards.