Why did my Oath ceremony got descheduled?

The finalized divorce of nov 12 may have raised flags however you were applying based on 5 yrs so it shouldn't matter. I m thinking they just wanted to review it. It will be ok once they check it. Do call the io though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, a lot of discussion has happened so a general comment.

Going to oath ceremony. Irrespective of whether it is in DO, or an outside place (like San Jose), they will have the certificates printed. If you are not scheduled for oath, they don't have certificate. Can't do much.

However, the IOs are there ... could they answer questions. Unlikely, as they would not be carrying computers to check. If your certificate is not there, they will just ask you to make an infopass.

De-scheduling sure does sound irregular - other people have reported because the complete ceremony was canceled.

Most likely, it is because the divorce got finalized between interview and oath. Once the CIS got notified, they need to check.

So they will call you for another interview (based on the status you got from customer service), ... I think the main scrutiny will be on what you reported in terms of your marriage - if you called yourself married and kept quiet about the rest, was it discussed, was the separation discussed. I am not sure what are the disclosure norms regarding divorce in progress, but based on your 12 year marriage history, I would not be too worried ... unless you said something misleading.

EDIT (Add): Keep calling once a week until they send you an oath letter or an interview letter.

Potential waste of time and even worse, denationalization later when USCIS discovers that you shouldn't have been naturalized in the first place due to some issue they were investigating. Definitely not something you want to risk, and not at all comparable to going to canceled interview.

Keep in mind that since the oath was canceled, they won't have a naturalization certificate for the applicant. There's no point at all in going to the originally scheduled oath.

Keep in mind that since the oath was canceled, they won't have a naturalization certificate for the applicant. There's no point at all in going to the originally scheduled oath.

You really do not know unles syou go there. Maybe the cert. is there and you show yoru cancel letter and they still allow you to take oath, then it is over

In a perfect worlds that's true, but there's always the remote possibility with the USCIS that things gets missed and oath certificate got printed out anyways.

I am not sure which rule it would have been, the 3 or 5. I married an American citizen (he was born and raised here in the US). I received my GC as a result of the marriage. We were married for 12 years, have two children. I filed for divorce on April1, 2008, which was finalized on November 12, 2009. I only left the country once, in 1997, after my first child was born. We took her home to visit my parents. I have not left the country since. I lived in Iowa City for the past 12 years, and lived in Houston, TX for a few months. I am not Muslim; I am from Hungary.

Did you fill out the application?
It had to be 5 year rule since they wouldn't have approved you in the first place had it been filed under 3 year married to US citizen rule (unless you didn't disclose divorce) . Likely they are reviewing your case due to the finalization of your divorce.

Did you fill out the application?
It had to be 5 year rule since they wouldn't have approved you in the first place had it been filed under 3 year married to US citizen rule (unless you didn't disclose divorce) . Likely they are reviewing your case due to the finalization of your divorce.

OP never confimed whether it was a 3 yr or 5 yr application. Yes the OP was married for 12yrs so completed 5 yr GC . but what if the OP check the 3 year option ?. Hope the OP can comeback and update the status

OP never confimed whether it was a 3 yr or 5 yr application. Yes the OP was married for 12yrs so completed 5 yr GC . but what if the OP check the 3 year option ?. Hope the OP can comeback and update the status

If he did check 3 year box, is it too late for him to change to 5 year after interview?

Update on the case... USCIS descheduled his naturalization because apparently in his application, he wrote that his country of origin was Hungry. So, USCIS had to investigate whether such a country exist, so they realized that he's actually was from Hungary...:):)

Is Hungary still a country? :eek:

Looks like the OP's call with the IO this morning didn't go well. I wonder why there was no update from the OP yet.

Looks like the OP's call with the IO this morning didn't go well. I wonder why there was no update from the OP yet.

A lot of cases/situation you read in this forum has no follow-up/update.
The reason could be

(1) Update is good so there is no further need for help
(2) Update is bad so it is a shame to share
(3) Has nothing to do with good or bad result, simply no mood to post anymore.

Hello All,
So, I called this morning the IO. She was quite friendly, actually a surprise. I told her what has happened, her first reaction was this: "ok, so since you received the letter make sure you DO NOT show up tomorrow! It is probably, because there were too many people scheduled for the ceremony tomorrow or there is something they need to check." She said I just have to wait my reschedule letter. I asked her if she could look at my case if I give her my receipt number, to see if there is anything else going on that I should know about. She said she doesn't have a way to look at it. Ha???
I just wonder, how can they schedule me for the ceremony and "realize" 2 days before it is too full???

I would think it is under the 5 year rule. I filled out my N400 in July. When I went to my interview, I took all papers requested that came with my IL. Since we got affected by the floods in Iowa last year, I ended up taking copies of my daughters' passports, as well as my exhusbands birthcertificate to show he is a born citizen. I also took all the tax returns, etc. The IO said, I didn't even need my ex husbands info, since I was married to him for over 12 years. I told her during the interview, that at that time my divorce was pending and would be finalized sometimes soon. My interview was on october 19, 2009 and my divorce got finalized on november 12, 2009. I got my Oath letter on November 20, 2009 and the "descheduling" letter on December 2, 2009. Does this timeline mean anything to anybody?

Hello All,
So, I called this morning the IO. She was quite friendly, actually a surprise. I told her what has happened, her first reaction was this: "ok, so since you received the letter make sure you DO NOT show up tomorrow! It is probably, because there were too many people scheduled for the ceremony tomorrow or there is something they need to check." She said I just have to wait my reschedule letter. I asked her if she could look at my case if I give her my receipt number, to see if there is anything else going on that I should know about. She said she doesn't have a way to look at it. Ha???
I just wonder, how can they schedule me for the ceremony and "realize" 2 days before it is too full???

Did you talk with an IO or a customer service rep?

Did you talk with an IO or a customer service rep?

I believe it was an IO. I called yesterday the court house where the ceremony is to be held, and the woman who handles ceremony related questions, gave me the phone number to another lady at the citizenship office. I have her name and office phone number. Not an 800 number, thank goodness! She picked up her phone, answered with her name, I guess it rings out in her office.

IOs can view your case status and details via your A number, so the person you talked to may not have been an IO. Perhaps she was a liaison or a customer service rep.

Is Hungary still a country? :eek:

Are you serious?

As for the discussion subject, after the interview we get a letter stating that the case has been approved. Even if the Oath is descheduled, we do not have any information that the decision to approve the case is canceled.