Why did my Oath ceremony got descheduled?

andibandi

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I came across this forum, after trying to find out what just happened? I have been searching all afternoon, but found no answer to my problem. So, here it is. I filed for citizenship July, 2009 after living in the US for 13 years. I am now 33 years old. I received my interview notification letter and had my interview on October 19, 2009 in Des Moines, IA. I passed the interview and was told, I will receive a letter letting me know where and when the Oath Ceremony will take place. This letter arrived on November 20, 2009. My Oath ceremony is scheduled to be held on December 4, 2009 at 9.30 am. The best news ever! Until this afternoon...I received a letter in the mail, stating that "due to unforseen circumstances the oatch ceremony was descheduled for this applicant." They also mentioned they are sorry for the inconvenience and I will be informed of any further interview if any or new development in a future notice.
So, here is my question: I called the immigration customer service, explained it all to them. Two interesting things happened. 1, my case status still shows in the system as "to be interviewed or scheduled to appear for interview" (although I have passed it and received the letter showing that.) 2, the IO told me the building might be closed, etc.

I called the court house where my Oath ceremony will take place and the woman in charge told me, the ceremony is still on schedule, not cancelled at all.

I haven't received any information that I need to provide additional documents, anything like that. What could be the reason? Any help would be much appreciated..I am a nervous wreck.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that you can think of which may had caused issues? Like on-the-border physical presence or any arrests??

Make an infopass for tommorrow and see what's going on. Don't trust the 1800 number.

Hi,
Nope, no arrests and no presence in border. I have been minding my business, sort of say, in Iowa City, IA. Doing the same things I do everyday. Work, kids, home. I really don't know what to think of this...

Hi,
Nope, no arrests and no presence in border. I have been minding my business, sort of say, in Iowa City, IA. Doing the same things I do everyday. Work, kids, home. I really don't know what to think of this...

Why dont you make an infopass and find out ?

I just scheduled one for Dec. 7th. I also got the phone number to an IO and was told to call as early as 7.30am tomorrow. I will do that first thing in the morning.

I surely will. I am so curious to find out what they will tell me tomorrow. I hope to find out something. I was so close, told already everyone that on Friday I would be a citizen. I could not wait, so I could register to vote finally. Now, who knows what will happen...

Did you file under 5 or 3 year rule? What was the basis of your GC? Did you have many trips outside the US? Are you a Muslim?
There could be many different reasons why an oath gets canceled..all of which most likely involve an issue that warrants further investigation by USCIS.

Just go to ytour originally scedhuled oath on Dec 4 and pretend
you do not get the cancel letter to see what happens. There is
a chance you can just still take the oath.

Just go to ytour originally scedhuled oath on Dec 4 and pretend
you do not get the cancel letter to see what happens.

That's just silly advice..suggesting to go to the oath eventhough OP got cancellation letter.
Have you been boozing WBH?

That's just silly advice..suggesting to go to the oath eventhough OP got cancellation letter.
Have you been boozing WBH?

There is nothing you can lose. There are reports people go to cancelled interview and still get interviewed. The worst thing it can happen is just
you are told you can not take oath. What can be worse than that? Get arrested for ignoring the cancellation notice?

he made an infopass on Dec 7. Why not go to oath on Dec 4 and still can ask what is the reason for cancellation? If you are told the reason
for cacellation then you can cancel the dec 7 infopass appointment.

There is nothing you can lose.

Potential waste of time and even worse, denationalization later when USCIS discovers that you shouldn't have been naturalized in the first place due to some issue they were investigating. Definitely not something you want to risk, and not at all comparable to going to canceled interview.

There is nothing you can lose. There are reports people go to cancelled interview and still get interviewed. The worst thing it can happen is just
you are told you can not take oath. What can be worse than that? Get arrested for ignoring the cancellation notice?

he made an infopass on Dec 7. Why not go to oath on Dec 4 and still can ask what is the reason for cancellation? If you are told the reason
for cacellation then you can cancel the dec 7 infopass appointment.

He already made enquiries about his oath cancellation. That means USCIS knows that he received the letter. Think what will happen if he proceeds with oath now? His citizneship can be cancelled anytime in future even if manages to get the oath. Your advice is not at all good. Sorry to say that. Best thing is to make that 7:30 AM call in the morning and find out what it is first.

Potential waste of time and even worse, denationalization later when USCIS discovers that you shouldn't have been naturalized in the first place due to some issue they were investigating. Definitely not something you want to risk, and not at all comparable to going to canceled interview.

There is enough time to waste and that is why he made an infopass which
many think can not provide any useful infomation and people still do that
just to feel better by doing something. The same thing about goting to cancelled oath. You can inquire into teh cause for cancellation. Also maybe
the reason is that they made a mistake on the certificate but maybe
already correct it.

He already made enquiries about his oath cancellation. That means USCIS knows that he received the letter. Think what will happen if he proceeds with oath now? His citizneship can be cancelled anytime in future even if manages to get the oath. Your advice is not at all good. Sorry to say that. Best thing is to make that 7:30 AM call in the morning and find out what it is first.

He can go there and show the cancel letter and then ask if it is OK to get oath.

Why always think of the worst? Why not think of the best? If worst thing
always happen in life then even a perfect citzizenship is useless.

I merely give a suggestion. OP can take it or not take it. It is up to him

It will be the same case as the salahis. They got in and had their celebrity moment but they may face criminal charges all cuz they acted as if they belonged there like your advice.

Let's do things the right way.

Why always think of the worst? Why not think of the best?

It's not about thinking the worst. It's about why would you want to chance something like oath after USCIS sent out a oath cancellation letter? Naturalization isn't a game of chance..so why risk it by just showing up at a canceled oath and playing dumb? In the end, there's a reason why an oath cancellation letter was sent out.
But like you said, to each their own.

I am not sure which rule it would have been, the 3 or 5. I married an American citizen (he was born and raised here in the US). I received my GC as a result of the marriage. We were married for 12 years, have two children. I filed for divorce on April1, 2008, which was finalized on November 12, 2009. I only left the country once, in 1997, after my first child was born. We took her home to visit my parents. I have not left the country since. I lived in Iowa City for the past 12 years, and lived in Houston, TX for a few months. I am not Muslim; I am from Hungary.

I agree with the majority of people here; as much as I appreciate your input WBH, I don't think showing up to the oath ceremony is the best thing to do. I have this letter and I want to find out what else is there to investigate.
I want to know what happened between sending out the oath letter on November 20th, and then descheduling my oath exactly one week later. (descheduling letter is dated November 27th.)