Who want to be part of action team

Strategy for Project "OCEAN"

1. Team:
a. Organizing ourselves as team is good, since our efforts can be documented and centralized.
b. Each team should have representation from all service centers, so that we'll have balanced team.
c. Let us not try to spend too much time to define roles or team lead, since Coordination team should take lead of all our efforts.
d. Teams should be based on the individual interest, skills, location ....
Petition development team should have people good with writing skills, Consultation team should have people living close to USCIS service centers, Publicity team should have people with good communication skills,.....

2. Petition:
a. I contacted Sulekha.com regarding hosting our petition there. If I don't hear from them shortly, I'll follow up with them (first e-mail and call them over phone).
b. Next we should plan to Contact USCIS directors of all service centers, not one at a time since it will be handled by members living close to service center. Let us not waste too much time to contact USCIS officials.
c. Next comes our main strategy link. We should plan to contact all House of representatives, we need at least(!!!!) 435 active member. We should discuss with them about GC and Citizenship issues. We should document all these personal visits, so we should establish a spread sheet.
Let us try not to invent wheel by writing one more petition and wasting some more time. I accept we need better write up but we can handle that parallely.
d. Publish our Petition using News Distribution service like Business Wire and Internet News Bureau. We can target National Media,Goverment and Ethnic groups. For this we have to spend some money.
There are some free news distribution service(PRWeb), I'll post our petition there but it might not reach lot of people.
e. Next should be lobbying congress. We need to hire strategist, for this we have to spend some money.
Now, I'm in the process of contacting Ethnic Lobbying groups and Republicans Lobbying groups.

3. Class action law suit if nothing works

Please remember when AC21 bill was passed. President signed that bill in October 2000 just before election. So we should act immediately to contact our local Congressional office and move forward accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Sai. It seems like we are deviating from our goal.
And lets target Backlongs first. The idea is not to create another group like ISN, but we want to take few leaves from their book. We are already a community. "www.immigrationportal.com (IM) online community", we dont need to form another organization. But we would like to have a co-ordinated action.

Lets think about it,

All the Congressional members gets petitions from aeast 10 constitution members, either personally or by FAX and
as Kashmir told, by receiving Faxes from 3 persons they srtated noticing the activity.

All the senators receive same amount of petitions. Then it obviousely becomes an issue for these "Politicians" to talk about at the Capitol hill. Thats what we want isn't it.

And about action committe, a small action committe out of IM is better to co-ordinate this effort.

And again, these are my opinions, and I'm OK with whatever we all want to do.

Re: Strategy for Project "OCEAN"

Originally posted by Edison

a. I contacted Sulekha.com regarding hosting our petition there. If I don't hear from them shortly, I'll follow up with them (first e-mail and call them over phone).

Do we still need to move the petion to Sulekha.com? We are any way not looking for support for Lawyers. Then isn't it OK to keep the petition at this portal it self?

Re: Re: Strategy for Project "OCEAN"

Originally posted by rk4gc
Do we still need to move the petion to Sulekha.com? We are any way not looking for support for Lawyers. Then isn't it OK to keep the petition at this portal it self?

This was aimed not to get attorneys support but to get the support of immigrant community. Only few visit this site but lot of us visit portals like Sulekha.com .

Re: Strategy for Project "OCEAN"

2. Petition:
b. Next we should plan to Contact USCIS directors of all service centers, not one at a time since it will be handled by members living close to service center. Let us not waste too much time to contact USCIS officials.
c. Next comes our main strategy link. We should plan to contact all House of representatives, we need at least(!!!!) 435 active member. We should discuss with them about GC and Citizenship issues. We should document all these personal visits, so we should establish a spread sheet.
Let us try not to invent wheel by writing one more petition and wasting some more time. I accept we need better write up but we can handle that parallely.
d. Publish our Petition using News Distribution service like Business Wire and Internet News Bureau. We can target National Media,Goverment and Ethnic groups. For this we have to spend some money.
There are some free news distribution service(PRWeb), I'll post our petition there but it might not reach lot of people.
e. Next should be lobbying congress. We need to hire strategist, for this we have to spend some money.
Now, I'm in the process of contacting Ethnic Lobbying groups and Republicans Lobbying groups.
Edison's strategy looks good.
Some comments for petition part:
a) I think the number of signatures doesn't matter right now. We may move forward to the next step.
b) I'd like to skip this one because it's a waste of our valuable resource.
c) We should focus it for a couple of weeks.
-kashmir

Edison,
I liked your idea. Here is the problem comes,

So far only 66 members are favorable to contribute. I don't think we can hire strategist with this money. Only thing we can do is send attorneys and volunteers to each center.

Re: Re: Strategy for Project "OCEAN"

Originally posted by kashmir
Edison's strategy looks good.
Some comments for petition part:
a) I think the number of signatures doesn't matter right now. We may move forward to the next step.
b) I'd like to skip this one because it's a waste of our valuable resource.
c) We should focus it for a couple of weeks.
-kashmir

a. Even I don't care about total number of sigatures at this time. But I would like to do this parallely so that we might reach all our immigrant community. Also it might be useful if we gather thousands of signatures. It's just a parallel effort not a starting point.
b. I really don't care about USCIS officials. But I always prefer to hit all the possibilities.
c. Contacting our Honorable House of representatives should be our main goal for coming weeks.

Originally posted by manumahi
Edison,
I liked your idea. Here is the problem comes,

So far only 66 members are favorable to contribute. I don't think we can hire strategist with this money. Only thing we can do is send attorneys and volunteers to each center.

I outlined just the path. If we get only minimum fund we should use that for News distribution system. Even personally I'm planning to spend something for the News distribution service.

Also we can target ethnic lobbying groups who can lobby for us, so that we need not establish another lobbying organization.

Kashmir,
Already you have done a nice job in writing initial petition. What I am worried about is as long as petition is in the form of papers no body will give a dime about it.

I am not saying we have to do it ourselves. All portal sites hire documentation guy. He will write contents for web site. We need to hire some body to do this job for us. It is going to cost us couple of grand. But once it is done we can use it for all our purposes.

Guys correct me if I am wrong.

These are advantages of having nice booklet.

It gives better outlook
It gives nice image for our group.
It makes them to feel we are from big organization.

What do you guys think? Lets do it once for all or forget about it.

Re: Re: Re: Strategy for Project "OCEAN"

a. Even I don't care about total number of sigatures at this time. But I would like to do this parallely so that we might reach all our immigrant community. Also it might be useful if we gather thousands of signatures. It's just a parallel effort not a starting point.
b. I really don't care about USCIS officials. But I always prefer to hit all the possibilities.
c. Contacting our Honorable House of representatives should be our main goal for coming weeks.
I got it, Edison.

> c. Next comes our main strategy link. We should plan to contact all House of representatives, we need at least(!!!!) 435 active member. We should discuss with them about GC and Citizenship issues. We should document all these personal visits, so we should establish a spread sheet.

We have 53 districts in California (out of 435).
We have already covered 10%.
I think most of us live around the large cities.
I quickly checked the map of congressional districts in California.
Maybe, we can have 10 around San Francisco Bay Area, and 15 around Los Angeles, and 2 around San Diego.
It should cover 50% of California.
I think it's maximum.
-kashmir

Guys correct me if I am wrong.

These are advantages of having nice booklet.

It gives better outlook
It gives nice image for our group.
It makes them to feel we are from big organization.

What do you guys think? Lets do it once for all or forget about it.
Hi, manumahi,
I think it is a good idea.
But creating the booklet should be done independent from the current focus of contacting Congresspersons.
We cannot wait until the booklets being completed.

I wonder if the CSC forum can provide such a resource for the booklet.
I believe the VSC forum have rich resource for that.
The CSC forum can contribute in another way, I hope.
-kashmir

Kashmir,
Already you have done a nice job in writing initial petition. ...
Thanks, manumahi,
but almost all works writing initial petition were done by members of only VSC forum.
It was really great, and I'd totally appreciate it.
I just started taking an action using that petition.
-kashmir

Edison and others,
Let me know What do guys think about booklet idea?

That's good. But let us not spend too much time on that. As mentioned in the strategy, we can do that parallely. Let us not postpone any of the meetings with Congressional offices or USCIS officials just for this booklet.

Our main focus should be contacting Congressional offices.

booklet will not work

In my opinion, booklet will not work for:
1) People other than members of this forum really do not care about our plight.
2) None have time to go thru a booklet and respond to it.

The best thing is to take the matter dirctly to the BCIS center's Directors, Senator and to the respective country's Caucus and high commisionners.

Re: booklet will not work

Originally posted by Pacchai_Picchai

The best thing is to take the matter dirctly to the BCIS center's Directors, Senator and to the respective country's Caucus and high commisionners.

The Honorable Congressman Joe Knollenberg of my district is a member of Indian Caucus. I'm planning to stop by his Office to handover our petition with signatures, also I'll try to schedule a meeting with him.

I outlined just the path. If we get only minimum fund we should use that for News distribution system. Even personally I'm planning to spend something for the News distribution service.

Also we can target ethnic lobbying groups who can lobby for us, so that we need not establish another lobbying organization.
Considering ethnic lobbying groups,
I'd like to amend 6th request of our petition as follows:
Remove "through Employment".
Removing this condition makes our request simple and it will support not only EB but also Family based and even illegal ones.
We have a chance to incorporate it into another bill currently targeting illegal immigrants.
Maybe, we should discuss it at another thread.
-kashmir

Re: Re: booklet will not work

The Honorable Congressman Joe Knollenberg of my district is a member of Indian Caucus. I'm planning to stop by his Office to handover our petition with signatures, also I'll try to schedule a meeting with him.
> I'm planning to stop by his Office to handover our petition with signatures, also I'll try to schedule a meeting with him.

Not only core members but also everyone should do that.
If 100th member would do that, the rest of members would follow us.
It should happen within a couple of months.

During that term, the core team can implement the next item of our strategy.
-kashmir