Waiting Asylum decision

I have a question with regard to job authorization for asylum applicants. After how many days we could apply for it? is it 150 days or 180 days after application filled? and the second question is , once we get a job authorization, let's say for one year, what happens if we lose the case both from immigration and from court before one year ends? I mean could we stay in the US for one year no matter we lose the case?

Regarding the 180 days question:
"An applicant may not apply for an EAD until an asylum application has been pending for 150 days or the applicant has received a recommended approval or final approval of asylum. USCIS has 30 days from receipt to adjudicate the EAD application and cannot issue an EAD until the asylum application has been pending for 180 days or more"

This 180-day period is referred to as the 180-day clock. .. if you, for example, re schedule or didn't show up to your interview date, the clock stops.

I'm not sure what happens with your EAD, if your application is denied before the one year expiration.

I have a question with regard to job authorization for asylum applicants. After how many days we could apply for it? is it 150 days or 180 days after application filled? and the second question is , once we get a job authorization, let's say for one year, what happens if we lose the case both from immigration and from court before one year ends? I mean could we stay in the US for one year no matter we lose the case?

Hello Everyone,
Thanks to "assylum" advise, I went to the Asylum Office to request information about the status of my application, I was informed that desicion was already made and that will be in the mail very soon.
I'm very confident that I have a strong case, and I am in GOd Hands, but please keep me in your prayers!
I will post the news as soon as I have a chance....

Hi LadyLee,
We are in exact same situation. After "Assylum's" advice, i called the asylum office and i was connected to the lady who interviewed me. She told me the same thing that the decision has been made and i should probably receive it in a week. It has been three weeks now...even the mail man know me now cos he finds me at the mail box all the time! Let's pray for positive decisions for both of us. I believe so strongly that i had a strong justified case too. I am already out of status though i applied when i was in valid status, probably that's the reason why cos i read in their memo that cases of out-of-status applicants are of higher priority than those in valid status. All the best! I will keep you posted too.

As I said in my previous posts, you will see the status online only after you get approved by USCIS.

If you are not approved yet or if you are refered to court, then the online system will not recognize the I-589 receipt number.

If you are refered to court, then you will have a record in the automated EOIR phone system. You can check out the EOIR phone system by using your alien number. Call 800-898-7180 and follow the instructions.

Wow, assylum, i just called the EOIR Phone system number and my case has not been referred to court since it said "the A# do not match any document in the system or the case has not been referred to a court" So this gives me a little more hope for a positive decision. Thank you for your advices! My receipt number starts with Z....and the USCIS website does not show my case status. I had called them and they confirmed to me that there is no error in my rcpt# though the site could not accept it.

Mr. bird, I have quite the same case as yours and ladylee, i mean in terms of the time frame. I also called the number and it says the same thing as yours. I am wondering how you could get in touch with your immigration officer, because when I call the asylum office they say they don't answer asylum cases by phone, we have to either go to their office or fax them. One more question, are you in north-eastern region too?

If you lose your case at the court and you decide not to take your case to higher court within 30 days, then any valid EAD that you have will be revoked in the verification database system called " SAVE". This system is used by E-verify, SSA office, DMV, and many other state and federal agencies.

Don't worry, I have a feeling that you will be approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Asylum for your information,, as everyone else here,I am very worried about my future so there are a lot of tension and stress ,, but hopefully things work fine, thanks for your words

Hey .... LadyLee

How is situation so far ? I hope you get approval ? I know its very hard to wait but i pray for u, everything will be better, just keep have faith :)
Dont forget pls keep posting....

Yes, we need to keep praying for a quick and positive decision!
Im still under status, but I checked the 1800 number anyways because my husband is out of status, but says no records available.
Today Im really tired emotionally, I dont even want to go to check the mailbox!!
I dont know if I should being applying for jobs or if I should be reviewing my statement and getting togheter more information in case that Im in need to present appeal.
neither options makes me feel better.. :(
I read posts in this forum of people who were approved in two weeks, a month .... so, I don't understand why is taking that long to mail a desicion that is made already! I just don't understand.

Hi LadyLee,
We are in exact same situation. After "Assylum's" advice, i called the asylum office and i was connected to the lady who interviewed me. She told me the same thing that the decision has been made and i should probably receive it in a week. It has been three weeks now...even the mail man know me now cos he finds me at the mail box all the time! Let's pray for positive decisions for both of us. I believe so strongly that i had a strong justified case too. I am already out of status though i applied when i was in valid status, probably that's the reason why cos i read in their memo that cases of out-of-status applicants are of higher priority than those in valid status. All the best! I will keep you posted too.

Thanks Alex987!
I really appreciate if you keep praying for me... I have faith.. but I have lost my strenght, and everyday is a new challenge.
Im trying to climb the mountain with hapiness and in peace, but some days I just can't.
I hope today is the day!

Hey .... LadyLee

How is situation so far ? I hope you get approval ? I know its very hard to wait but i pray for u, everything will be better, just keep have faith :)
Dont forget pls keep posting....

Hi every one ,

I am in the same situation ,My number is also started by Z# and the site doesn't accept it . I am really nerves .

Hi alex ,

how long did it take you get a approval letter ,I was in the same situation like you .the IO asked me send more documents to him .Now it is 15 days after his deadline . I am really nerves .

It takes time guys, i definitely i know its very hard to wait, but there is no anything you can do :( My interview was on 5th august and i got the letter on 30th September.I ll pray for u .....

By the way LadyLee !!!

You are very welcome...Dont worry everything will be okey, try to not think about it, do some different staff , it would help you to calm you down....
I hope soon you will share with us approval letter :))

Mr. bird, I have quite the same case as yours and ladylee, i mean in terms of the time frame. I also called the number and it says the same thing as yours. I am wondering how you could get in touch with your immigration officer, because when I call the asylum office they say they don't answer asylum cases by phone, we have to either go to their office or fax them. One more question, are you in north-eastern region too?

Hey heyhey, i am in MA. I called the USCIS number and the customer representative asked me if i have the number of where i sent my application, i told her no and she was kind enough to give it to me. When i called the office where i sent the application the humble guy asked me my details, name date of birth, A# and then asked me " were you interviewed by a lady called....." i said yes and he transferred me to her office which is out of that state. She told me the decision has been made and mailed to other authorities so i wait for a bout a week. It's almost a month now and about 3months since interview.

Thanks Mr.bird,,, they might have different policies at MA office, but they told me they don't answer by phone. It's almost three months for me too, so I am also hoping they already made a decision,,,, "other authorities"? anyone has any idea what this means? Isn't the USCIS the one which makes the decision and prepare the materials ?

Thanks Mr.bird,,, they might have different policies at MA office, but they told me they don't answer by phone. It's almost three months for me too, so I am also hoping they already made a decision,,,, "other authorities"? anyone has any idea what this means? Isn't the USCIS the one which makes the decision and prepare the materials ?

Other authorities means the staff admin people at the asylum office who do the paper work. For examlpe, scheduling master hearing with EOIR and issuing NTA if you lose your case or issuing I-94, approval letter, or recommended approval if you win your case.

I hope you get approved.

I read some thing in this forum that when you were out of status or your visa expired then you applied for asylum that's a main reason maybe the IO refer your case to the court ! Do you think this is true ? because when I was going to apply for asylum my visa was going to expire and my lawyer told me don't worry you have one year to apply until that time you arrived to the us ! even during the interview never IO asked me about why didn't you apply for asylum before your visa going to expire !! do you guys think ,should I concern about it ?

Anyone in the country can apply for asylum within 1 year of entry, even illegal enty (entry without inspection--EWI).