Waiting Asylum decision

I got my ead approval notice .. Do you guys have any idea ,how long does it gonna take to get social security number after that?? Need your reply

It really depends on where you live and how fast USPS is in that area. Also, I'm not sure if they really mail decisions as soon as the status changes, it could be 1-2 days before they are actually picked up by USPS. Judging by the 'fees were waived though, that means for the EAD, so your case was approved!! Congratulations! =D
"Case decisions may be delayed, however, due to pending security or background checks. Longer processing times also may be required for an applicant who is currently in valid status, was interviewed at a district office, or whose case is being reviewed by Asylum Division Headquarters staff. The decision is generally mailed to the applicant in these situations. "
Is this the reason why still I don't receive the decision? My valid status ends at Aug. 26th

Hello!

Yestarday, 2 weeks after my interview i went to picked up my answer. I got recommended for approval.

Does anyone know how long is it going to take for them to send me the approval notice?

Also, today i applied for my work permit, ho long will it take to be sent?

Thank you so much for the info!!

I've been waiting 17 Months to get my final approval after being recommended for approval

I got my ead approval notice .. Do you guys have any idea ,how long does it gonna take to get social security number after that?? Need your reply
If you tick the option on the form that uscis should notify ssn office about the insuance of a number then it's few days. You don't need to do anything until after a while. My EAD card got into my post box on Saturday and ssn card came in on Monday. I never made any separate application or contact ssn office

Hi got reffered to cout
Applied june 2018
First interview aug 2018
Second interview jan 2019
Status changed - 1st aug 2019 (Decision was mailed clock stopped counting days but it says clock running"
Mail recieved - 8th aug reffered to court

Hi Friend
I am a Ph.D. student and f1 visa holder. My wife is f2 and applied for asylum and she is the main applicant and I am as dependent on her case. She used the asylum EAD and I have not used the asylum EAD and maintain my F1 status. Now I want to apply for NIW EB2 Visa category since my scientific background now is in good shape and this way is very fast to get a green card based on. I was wondering whether it is possible to apply for EB2 while I am a dependent asylum applicant. Appreciated if you share any experience or knowledge here about my situation if you have.
Thanks in advance,

Hi Friend
I am a Ph.D. student and f1 visa holder. My wife is f2 and applied for asylum and she is the main applicant and I am as dependent on her case. She used the asylum EAD and I have not used the asylum EAD and maintain my F1 status. Now I want to apply for NIW EB2 Visa category since my scientific background now is in good shape and this way is very fast to get a green card based on. I was wondering whether it is possible to apply for EB2 while I am a dependent asylum applicant. Appreciated if you share any experience or knowledge here about my situation if you have.
Thanks in advance,
I asked this question from a lawyer. The answer is that as long as you have maintained your student status, you can apply for EB. However, having applied for asylum EAD has made your case complicated because it sort of violates your student status. For example, under F1 restrictions you are not allowed to work off campus (without CPT or OPT EAD) but the asylum EAD allows you to do that. I know for a fact that USCIS won't give you OPT as long as you have a valid Asylum EAD. I wonder why on earth you applied for EAD if you did not want to use it. Consult with an attorney who is specialized in EB. Do NOT use your asylum EAD to wok off-campus.

My personal advice is to wait until your asylum EAD expires and then file I-140. Do NOT file I-485 concurrently with I-140. If your wife applied for asylum after Jan 2018, I suggest you guys be patient and wait for the asylum decision because it won't take more than a year. If it is an approval, it is a faster way to green card than NIW. I don't think you guys applied after Jan 2018 though because it took long enough so that you get EADs. in the new system, the applicants often are not given the chance to be eligible for EAD cuz it's fast.

Another thing is that if both your asylum and your I-140 is approved, I don't think you file change of status to GC (I-485) based on EB2 because your status is asylee not student (asylee supersedes DS status) and there is no way for an asylee to change their staus to GC through an employment based category.

Last edited:
I asked this question from a lawyer. The answer is that as long as you have maintained your student status, you can apply for EB. However, having applied for asylum EAD has made your case complicated because it sort of violates your student status. For example, under F1 restrictions you are not allowed to work off campus (without CPT of OPT EAD) but the asylum EAD allows you to do that. I know for a fact that USCIS won't give you OPT as long as you have a valid Asylum EAD. I wonder why on earth you applied for EAD if you did not want to use it. Consult with an attorney who is specialized in EB.

My personal advice is to wait until your asylum EAD expires and then file I-140. Do not file I-485 concurrently with I-140.
I did not know that having asylum EAD without using it will violate the F1. So, now I violated the F1? But how I violate the f1 when I just worked on campus and outside only with CPT? The problem is EAD valid 2 years and I cannot wait till 2 years to expire. Anyway, thank you for your advice. My attorney just told me to not use my asylum EAD and just work on campus and on CPT and then I will be in good shape of maintaining my student status.

I did not know that having asylum EAD without using it will violate the F1. So, now I violated the F1? But how I violate the f1 when I just worked on campus and outside only with CPT? The problem is EAD valid 2 years and I cannot wait till 2 years to expire. Anyway, thank you for your advice. My attorney just told me to not use my asylum EAD and just work on campus and on CPT and then I will be in good shape of maintaining my student status.
getting an asylum EAD will not annul your DS status. However, the USCIS officer who views your I-140 application would regard it as very questionable that you had an asylum EAD while being a student. So they might reject your I-140 based on that. Remember that the officer's decision on these cases is very subjective. While one officer may not think of this as a big deal, the other one might.

Do not file I-485 unless either your asylum is approved or your I-140 is approved.

Here is another complication. Since you have an EAD, you can't apply for OPT. Therefore, as soon as you defend your PhD, you will fall out of status. In case your asylum gets denied by the IJ, you will get deported because you are not on status. Ask your lawyer if it possible to ask USCIS to invalidate your asylum EAD.

Hi got reffered to cout
Applied june 2018
First interview aug 2018
Status changed - 1st aug 2019 (Decision was mailed clock stopped counting days but it says clock running"

Sorry for this. Hopefully you’ll get a better outcome in the court. Can I know the reasons behind referring you to the IJ? What did the AO said ?

Hi got reffered to cout
Applied june 2018
First interview aug 2018

Hi @Paul_kp what's your reason for referal please?

They said Fear is not througout the country you can relocate

It is good that the reason has nothing to do with consistency or credibility. I mean you can just defend and give reasons that you cannot in any part of your country. Good luck

I expect to have such a decision and I don’t know why I feel this.

when you filled your application did you allow the USCIS to share your information with SSA so the SSA can issue your social. if it is the case, you will get your social within

getting an asylum EAD will not annul your DS status. However, the USCIS officer who views your I-140 application would regard it as very questionable that you had an asylum EAD while being a student. So they might reject your I-140 based on that. Remember that the officer's decision on these cases is very subjective. While one officer may not think of this as a big deal, the other one might.

Do not file I-485 unless either your asylum is approved or your I-140 is approved.

Here is another complication. Since you have an EAD, you can't apply for OPT. Therefore, as soon as you defend your PhD, you will fall out of status. In case your asylum gets denied by the IJ, you will get deported because you are not on status. Ask your lawyer if it possible to ask USCIS to invalidate your asylum EAD.
Hey guys, is it okay to apply for driver’s license with pending asylum in LA?
there is a temporary drivers license for those without SSN. I don’t know if it applies to asylum applicants