VSC N-400 Timeline - August/September 2007

I was. But punching that in for status returns nothing. So i'll just wait for the notice.

I punched in arbitrary numbers, and the latest receipt number that shows up in the system is esc*002065100, which is about 15,000 before mine.

Hey all,

Here is the timeline of my wife's N400 application:
Application dispatched: May 14, 2007
PD: May 17, 2007
Check Cashed: May end 2007
FP Notice: June first week 2007
FP done: June 11, 2007
Infopass on Nov 21: She was informed that her interview date is Jan 17, 2008 (although her online status has not changed)

Just bumping this thread up.

Also, I just realized that the actual receipt number is the one that's printed on the back of the cashed check, not the one that's handwritten on the front of the check. In the "ENDORSE HERE" section on the back of the check, there is a computer printout that resembles something like this (I used the number 9 arbitrarily):

For Credit to the U.S. Treasury
DOJ/USINS 9999999999
999999 COW9999D 99-99-9999
-------------------------------
ESC*009999999---------------

Obviously, the ESC number is the receipt number. I plugged the number into the USCIS website, which then informed me that "On September 18, 2007, we received your N400...". The dates are definitely off, as my N-400 was received on 9/4, and other forum members have reported date discrepancies of as much as 4 weeks.

Hi Vorpal,

You may have stumbled onto something here... I noticed the ESC number on the back of the check, but did not consider it because of the $ after ESC. However, when I substituted the $ sign with an * (asterisk), the number came up online. And, it states "On August 30, 2007, we received your N400...".

I am still confused on which number (front or back) is the correct one.

Hi Vorpal,

You may have stumbled onto something here... I noticed the ESC number on the back of the check, but did not consider it because of the $ after ESC. However, when I substituted the $ sign with an * (asterisk), the number came up online. And, it states "On August 30, 2007, we received your N400...".

I am still confused on which number (front or back) is the correct one.

This is actually starting to make a lot of sense. I am sure that the USCIS has bank-style check readers (when you deposit a check, a teller inserts it into a reader that scans the routing number and the account number), which explains the computer-printed endorsement on the back of the check. This also suggests that the receipt is automatically generated by the computer, once the check is deposited.

Are there any April app still pending? Please advise.

I sent my app on 04/02/2007 and it was received on 04/11/2007.

Thanks,
BrooKlyn2007

I have update for 2 citizenship case:
VSC

N-400 Mailed: ... 8/28/2007
N-400 received by VSC: ... 8/31/2007
Check cashed: 11/15/2007
Receipt Date: ?
FP Date: ?
Interview Notice ... ?
Interview Date ... ?
Oath Notice ... ?
Oath Date ... ?

Thanks!

I have update for 2 citizenship case:
VSC

N-400 Mailed: ... 8/28/2007
N-400 received by VSC: ... 8/31/2007
Check cashed: 11/15/2007
Receipt Date: ?
FP Date: ?
Interview Notice ... ?
Interview Date ... ?
Oath Notice ... ?
Oath Date ... ?

Thanks!

That just about matches my timeframe. Seems like they actually may be working in some sort of order. Does your ESC number appear online?

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the assumption mentioned in this thread to verify the ESC #, our ESC # does appear online.

USCIS seemed to have received the application Sep 17, 2007 and seemed to have mailed a notice.

But i have not received anything.

:)

Based on the assumption mentioned in this thread to verify the ESC #, our ESC # does appear online.

USCIS seemed to have received the application Sep 17, 2007 and seemed to have mailed a notice.

But i have not received anything.

:)

Ignore the Sept. 17 date. I can confidently say that it's NOT the priority date. The ESC number printed on the back of the check is the actual receipt number, so it's safe to conclude that our applications have entered the system. It's just a matter of time until we receive the receipts. Considering that this Friday will be 13 weeks since I submitted my N-400, my guess is that my receipt should be arriving within the next couple of weeks, provided that VSC decides to stick to the 15 week timeframe.

NSC service center initially lagging in I-485 receipt updates into the system. But for N400 NSC service center leads other service centers. Many people got their receipts and FP notices. But our VSC service center is very slow and we keep our fingers crossed for any miracle to happen here in our area.

.... It's just a matter of time until we receive the receipts. Considering that this Friday will be 13 weeks since I submitted my N-400, my guess is that my receipt should be arriving within the next couple of weeks, provided that VSC decides to stick to the 15 week timeframe.

The posted notification receipt times for both TSC and VSC are now both well beyond the 15 week mark. (17 weeks and counting). I have previously suggested that USICS remove or update the 15 week statement on their website but so far they haven't taken action.

NSC service center initially lagging in I-485 receipt updates into the system. But for N400 NSC service center leads other service centers. Many people got their receipts and FP notices. But our VSC service center is very slow and we keep our fingers crossed for any miracle to happen here in our area.

Has your check been cashed yet?

The posted notification receipt times for both TSC and VSC are now both well beyond the 15 week mark. (17 weeks and counting). I have previously suggested that USICS remove or update the 15 week statement on their website but so far they haven't taken action.

Your check STILL hasn't been cashed? I'm speechless...

One of the recent newspaper articles mentioned that it's taking up to 5 months to get a receipt. I wonder if that 5 months is factored into the newly established processing timeline of 16-18 months. If it's not.....2 years to become a citizen?

Your check STILL hasn't been cashed? I'm speechless...

One of the recent newspaper articles mentioned that it's taking up to 5 months to get a receipt. I wonder if that 5 months is factored into the newly established processing timeline of 16-18 months. If it's not.....2 years to become a citizen?

Many who filed to TSC after July 30 have yet to see their checks cashed. As for the 5 month timeline to get a notice receipt, the October 12 ombudsman conference call did confirm that it may take until mid January for the July-August applicants to receive receipt notices (August -January = 5 months). Why USCIS hasn't updated it's website to reflect this is anyone's guess. The clearly need to update their 15 week timeframe they have posted.

Many who filed to TSC after July 30 have yet to see their checks cashed. As for the 5 month timeline to get a notice receipt, the October 12 ombudsman conference call did confirm that it may take until mid January for the July-August applicants to receive receipt notices (August -January = 5 months). Why USCIS hasn't updated it's website to reflect this is anyone's guess. The clearly need to update their 15 week timeframe they have posted.

I do remember the Ombudsman mentioning that some applicants may receive their receipts as late as January. I guess by "SOME" he meant "ALL" who have filed at TSC/VSC. Truthfully, I can't help but wonder how long it takes to get a receipt after the check has been cashed. Judging from some posts, the 2-3 week timeframe between check cashing and receipt issuance has gone out of the window as well.

I haven't seen a VSC timeline here, so I'm starting one for all the applicants who mailed in their N-400 during August/Septmeber 2007. I sent mine in on August 31, 2007, via Priority Mail. Needless to say, the check hasn't been cashed, and I haven't gotten a receipt. I sent in my FOIPA request today (10/15). I'll keep posting more updates as time progresses. Anyone else is welcomed to chime in.

What is FOIPA request ?

There was a newspaper article regarding the VSC a few days ago that said they are cutting the hourly rate of the folks there.

Maybe there is unrest at that location which is affecting us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen a VSC timeline here, so I'm starting one for all the applicants who mailed in their N-400 during August/Septmeber 2007. I sent mine in on August 31, 2007, via Priority Mail. Needless to say, the check hasn't been cashed, and I haven't gotten a receipt. I sent in my FOIPA request today (10/15). I'll keep posting more updates as time progresses. Anyone else is welcomed to chime in.

Can someone tell me what is FOIPA request ?