Voting Before Naturalization Can Cause you Problems

It is a big deal if they vote. Not a big deal for the students personally if they leave the US permanently, but it is a big deal for citizens who have to live with the fact that those noncitizens may have altered the election.

The consulate doesn't have to say anything about AOS or citizenship. Voting or registering to vote for an election where citizenship is required can result in losing their F-1 status, if the incident is discovered while they still have F-1 status.

Well, the bottomline is that government think it is citizens' and noncitizens's responsibility to know how law works. I don't think this issue is only related to immigrants. Even many good citizens can end up in big trouble simply because they do not know what they do is illegal.

Well, the bottomline is that government think it is citizens' and noncitizens's responsibility to know how law works.
It is each individual's responsibility to know and follow the law, but it is also the government's responsibility to avoid practices which encourage people to break the law. I don't think there is any other scenario where it is common for government employees to promote violations of the law.

It is each individual's responsibility to know and follow the law, but it is also the government's responsibility to avoid practices which encourage people to break the law. I don't think there is any other scenario where it is common for government employees to promote violations of the law.

I think breaking the law in in the nature of men. If you don't believe me, then watch other drivers when you are driving. Don't forget to watch yourself because you will be going at high speed. There is always someone who is going to vote even though they re NOT suppose to do so. When I moved to Maryland, I went to DMV to change my drivers license and the gentleman asked me if I wanted to register to vote. I nicely told him NO, I AM AGAINST democracy and what it stands for, so NO I REFUSE TO REGISTER to vote...:)

Wal Mart and other store should change the sign "shoplifter will be prosecuted" to "shoplifter will be prosecuted and DEPORTED" to
scare off potential shoplifters

I think they should ask the question "Are you a citizen?" before handing out the voter registration form. Also they should have a field that says "Citizen?" on top of the form and if not, they should reject the form.

CPZINGA: My friend there is a statement that you sign when you fill voter registration card that read"
I have reviewed my state's instructions and I swera/affirm that"

I am a United States Citizen
I meet the eligiblity requirement of my state and subscribe to any oath required.
The information that I have provided is true to the best of my knowledge....I may be fined (if not a us citizen) deported from or refused entry to the United States."

Wow, that's cool. That is exactly what I wanted.
Also, as my second requirement states, they MUST be denying the form if the applicante doesn't check the field or sign it.
:D:D

CPZINGA: My friend there is a statement that you sign when you fill voter registration card that read"
I have reviewed my state's instructions and I swera/affirm that"

I am a United States Citizen
I meet the eligiblity requirement of my state and subscribe to any oath required.
The information that I have provided is true to the best of my knowledge....I may be fined (if not a us citizen) deported from or refused entry to the United States."

I went to DMV to change my drivers license and the gentleman asked me if I wanted to register to vote. I nicely told him NO, I AM AGAINST democracy and what it stands for, so NO I REFUSE TO REGISTER to vote...:)

Hello Weird Al,
Do not say you are against democracy, as there is a specific question in N400 form whether you support the govt of united states ( i.e democracy)...
In fact when you fill N400, mention that you would love to kick the soccer out of lil"Kim_Jong_Ils butts. :D:D

I think LPR was just joking. He has been a good help in this forum.
I would train DMV employees to ask the question Are you a U.S Citizen? before they ask anyone if they want to register to vote. Also make sure the question is clear and has a check box next to it for YES or NO so no one can claim they did not see it.
So you have the verbal question before handing the registration form and the written question on the form itself. I think this will be more than enough.
I think DMV had most of the cases like this but I am sure there are other ways to claim U.S citizenship as lying in your employment application to get a job or to benefit from a program that is designed for citizens only. This one must be punishable.

The waiting, stress and fear is all over now guys. I received my letter yesterday and I thank God for answering my and everyone else prayers for this. I thank you all for the support and the help you have provided me with during these crazy times and I am very proud to be a citizen of this great country. USA USA USA USA.
I cannot wait until the ceremony day.
Please keep helping others, and remember what goes around comes around so make sure you do good for others so good can come back at you and bless your lives.
Thank you so much for everything.

Maslouj! That is fantastic, absolutely brilliant news. I am really happy. I haven't posted here for a while, been busy, but I have just spent half an hour catching up on your posts. I cannot stress enough how happy I am for you.
I am sure now the pressure of all that stress is off of you you will be floating on air from here on.
When is the actual oath date? You don't have to say if you don't want to. I was just curious.
I had my oath ceremony on September 8th. I still can't believe I am actually a US citizen. It is a rather amazing feeling actually.
So very happy for you and your family. :D:D

Maslouj! That is fantastic, absolutely brilliant news. I am really happy. I haven't posted here for a while, been busy, but I have just spent half an hour catching up on your posts. I cannot stress enough how happy I am for you.
I am sure now the pressure of all that stress is off of you you will be floating on air from here on.
When is the actual oath date? You don't have to say if you don't want to. I was just curious.
I had my oath ceremony on September 8th. I still can't believe I am actually a US citizen. It is a rather amazing feeling actually.
So very happy for you and your family. :D:D

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy for you too.
My Oath Ceremony will be on the 23rd of this month. I cannot wait. How long did it last? Did they go through all the paper work again or just a questionair?

I think LPR was just joking. He has been a good help in this forum.
I would train DMV employees to ask the question Are you a U.S Citizen? before they ask anyone if they want to register to vote. Also make sure the question is clear and has a check box next to it for YES or NO so no one can claim they did not see it.
And make sure the DMV employee doesn't mark the YES checkbox. Some of them have a habit of marking it before giving the form to the applicant.

Maslouj the whole thing, including the registration, ceremony etc took about 40 minutes.

I have just learned though that my certificate is supposed to have a seal on it. I had not heard of this. I can't get a passport now because this seal is missing of the certificate. I would ask them about that at your oath. You don't want to end up like me after all this time and find out your certificate is missing a vital part you didn't even know it should have!

I will be thinking of you on the day. It is a wonderful feeling, I enjoyed the ceremony and I know you will.

Oh regarding the paperwork, nope, all they wanted to see was the form you have to fill in since the interview stating you haven't joined anything you shouldn't have etc. And your greencard of course is taken from you. They didn't want anything else, even though I took it all. It's all very easy and un stressful.

Actually, I think you have to already be a criminal to apply to be the CEO of Morgan Stanley. Or Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan or Bank of America or any of those other big financial institutions that wrecked the economy. Honest people not allowed :rolleyes:

Comment of the month.

:D

My lawyer told me of an interesting situation that took serious amount of legal work to un-tangle. Client renewed driver license, was not even asked to register to vote but somehow ended up registered by the clerk at the DMV who did not know GC's don't vote. Long Story Short, dude shows up for interview and falls from the sky when his name appears in the voting rolls...

It took a few thousand dollars and depositions from the DMV to unravel this.

My lawyer told me of an interesting situation that took serious amount of legal work to un-tangle. Client renewed driver license, was not even asked to register to vote but somehow ended up registered by the clerk at the DMV who did not know GC's don't vote. Long Story Short, dude shows up for interview and falls from the sky when his name appears in the voting rolls...

It took a few thousand dollars and depositions from the DMV to unravel this.

I don't even believe it. It can not be as this as your lawyer told you.
The IO has no reason to go to get hold of voter registration list withoout anything happening leading to it first.

By this logic, anyone of us can get a big surprise during inetrview because we can all be registered as voters without our knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks NoInterviewDate for the heads up. I will make sure to pay attention to that.:) I cannot go through any more stress:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy for you too.
My Oath Ceremony will be on the 23rd of this month. I cannot wait. How long did it last? Did they go through all the paper work again or just a questionair?

It varies from one Do to another but here is one kind of process

(1) report to the oath ceremony room
(2) be seated and wait for your name to be called
(3) When your name is called, bring your oath letter and GC to the clerk to finish the paperwork, answer questionnaire, surrender yoru GC, sign your certificate but you don't get your certificate
(4) come back to your seat and be seated
(5) The clerk make sure everyone finish step (3) and if some people are not present, the clerk call these name many times and then say "going once, twice ... "
(6) a judge come and call all oath taker to stand up and take oath. It is at this moment you become a citizen
(7) Then everyone (oath taker and guests and USCIS staff) stand up and reciet flag ppedge
(8) the clerk call name one by one again. Wait for yoru name to be called
(9) When your name is called, go to get your certificate and a citizen's handbook
(10) A video clip is being played with Obama's speech
(11) The end of ceremony

Voter registration from the state may be there for you to register to vote.

I don't even believe it. It can not be as this as your lawyer told you.
The IO has no reason to go to get hold of voter registration list withoout anything happening leading to it first.

By this logic, anyone of us can get a big surprise during inetrview because we can all be registered as voters without our knowledge

I had to reschedule an appointment with my lawyer due to him having to make a court appearance for the client mentioned. While apologizing he explained... In Indiana, I can believe it could happen quite easily. My wife (naturalized USC) registered to vote and the option to register for voting when you renew your DL is available here. The voter registration rolls are just that, a big binder with people's names. Not so difficult to run into an incompetent DMV clerk that will see a GC and with minimal checking register one to vote. The IN DL process used to be quite (ehem) flexible in terms of documents, and now they have tightened it considerably for GC's and non LPR's...

The client was a vanilla-flavored N-400 dude from India, no other reason. If voter registration information is easily available by the election commission, it is easy to verify.

Bottom line - surprises are part of the process :confused:. Today I received my Indiana DL record for the last 10 years. It should show one ticket (dismissed after deferral) and maybe 1-2 written warnings. It showed none of that. I did not include the written warnings in my N-400, but in retrospect, they would be worth mentioning during interview (i.e. my license plate renewal sticker fell off in a car wash... :eek:)