Voting Before Naturalization Can Cause you Problems

maslouj

Registered Users (C)
I just came back from an interview. I passed the written and Oral exams but they asked me to bring Voter's Registration Application, Voting Records and evidence of removal from the roll of registered voters. All this because I voted one time back in 2000. I was stupid enough to think it was okay for anyone who is married to a US Citizen to vote too. I am afraid that they will deny my application because of this. I passed the writen and oral exam but I needed to submit those document before a dicision is made. Does anyone know what I have to do in this case to make sure they don't deny my application? please I have until the end of this month to submit these documents.
I contacted a lawyer and he wanted to charge me $600 just to write a letter to the immigration officer stating my good criminal and employment records....etc. I don't have money to hire a lawyer. I will write this letter myself and leave things in the hand of IO.
Does anyone know what other alternative I have here. Please.

I just came back from an interview. I passed the written and Oral exams but they asked me to bring Voter's Registration Application, Voting Records and evidence of removal from the roll of registered voters. All this because I voted one time back in 2000. I was stupid enough to think it was okay for anyone who is married to a US Citizen to vote too. I am afraid that they will deny my application because of this. I passed the writen and oral exam but I needed to submit those document before a dicision is made. Does anyone know what I have to do in this case to make sure they don't deny my application? please I have until the end of this month to submit these documents.
I contacted a lawyer and he wanted to charge me $600 just to write a letter to the immigration officer stating my good criminal and employment records....etc. I don't have money to hire a lawyer. I will write this letter myself and leave things in the hand of IO.

Did you vote in local and state elections? If so, it maybe okay.

If you register or vote in an election for which you do not meet the citizenship requirements, you can face criminal penalties which may include a fine and or imprisonment, and possibly deportation. see http://immigration.about.com/od/immigrationlawandpolicy/f/Elctns_Penalty.htm

I do not want to be rude--but it is pretty obvious that voting as an alien can cause you serious problems. Your green card is in jeopardy and you need an attorney.

Oh my God man!!! This will ruin all my life. I honestly thought and my x-wife too (who is a native born) that I was able to vote just for being married to her.
I am sick to my stomach now.....

I remember a case here of someone who had only registered to vote ( he did not actually vote ) and they gave him hell,, he had to pay the 600.00 appeal fee because they denied his case, he had to get a lawyer and fight it until he won and received citizenship.

In your case you voted so consulting a lawyer may be your only chance.

good luck

There are some local/state elections that let non-citizens take part...but if you voted in a federal election which specifically requires US Citizenship..then you're in deep sh-t...US Citizenship approval should be least of your concern now ( if you really indeed voted in the 2000 Federal elections ) ...cover your bases before it is too late..get an attorney asap..get a better one than the one who thinks writing up a letter would be sufficient to clear you up..don't think he knows what he is doing...

I remember a case here of someone who had only registered to vote ( he did not actually vote ) and they gave him hell,, he had to pay the 600.00 appeal fee because they denied his case, he had to get a lawyer and fight it until he won and received citizenship.

In your case you voted so consulting a lawyer may be your only chance.

good luck

When I went to my GC interview, I was asked the same thing and I answered it the same way but I did not have any issues. Why was not a problem then and it is now. Is it because it is a citizenship?
I have a 4-year-old baby who has not done anything to anyone yet. I hate for her to leave and suffer with me because of this. I will live all my life with the guilt that I ruined her life because of a stupid mistake like this......ohh mannnnnnn!!!!

When I went to my GC interview, I was asked the same thing and I answered it the same way but I did not have any issues. Why was not a problem then and it is now. Is it because it is a citizenship?
Probably. They tend to make more erroneous approvals or let things slide with green cards than with citizenship, because it is much more difficult to revoke citizenship than to revoke a green card.

I am not 100% sure how they will follow up on your case,,,

If you only get a standard denial of citizenship with no further action to deport you then count your lucky stars and don't appeal or try to apply again until you can hire a GOOD lawyer to get some answers,,

however if they do intend to deport you then you will need the lawyer ASAP.

Tough break for you but they treat voting without citizenship like a big time crime :-(

If you only get a standard denial of citizenship with no further action to deport you then count your lucky stars and don't appeal or try to apply again until you can hire a GOOD lawyer to get some answers,,
If they don't follow up with deportation, I would say don't ever apply again, lawyer or no lawyer.

Oh my God man!!! This will ruin all my life. I honestly thought and my x-wife too (who is a native born) that I was able to vote just for being married to her.
I am sick to my stomach now.....

Relax maslouj,

First let us know more about your case such as your DO (post timeline!), which election you voted, and how you registered in the first place. Remember, this is America and there is always a way out.

Talk to you soon!

:)

Thanks everyone. I cannot concentrate in my work today. I spent the whole day calling lawyers for advices, some told me that it will be just matter of writting a letter to the officer and showing my good records and attentions. Others tell me that they will deny my application and other told me that I may face even deportation. i don't know who to believe.
I came to the US in September 1998 got married in 02/2000 and in November of 2000 I went to the election office with my x-wife for her to register for voting (I just thought about something) I don't remember if I was asked if I want to register to vote when I applied for my ID or when I went to registration office with my wife for her to register.
Is is possible that they ask people to register to vote in DMV?
I would know when I will recieve my application from registration office this week.
I did not really know that I was not supposed to vote and when I did (I don't remember how) I stopped and did not vote since then. I have an excellent criminal, employement and crdit records. I have a baby who was born here and I am in school getting a B.S I am only 2 quarters away from graduation. All my dreams will be ruined for a stupid mistake that I made 9 years ago.

Thanks everyone. I cannot concentrate in my work today. I spent the whole day calling lawyers for advices, some told me that it will be just matter of writting a letter to the officer and showing my good records and attentions. Others tell me that they will deny my application and other told me that I may face even deportation. i don't know who to believe.
I came to the US in September 1998 got married in 02/2000 and in November of 2000 I went to the election office with my x-wife for her to register for voting (I just thought about something) I don't remember if I was asked if I want to register to vote when I applied for my ID or when I went to registration office with my wife for her to register.
I would know when I will recieve my application from registration office this week.
I did not really know that I was not supposed to vote and when I did (I don't remember how) I stopped and did not vote since then. I have an excellent criminal, employement and crdit records. I have a baby who was born here and I am in school getting a B.S I am only 2 quarters away from graduation. All my dreams will be ruined for a stupid mistake that I made 9 years ago.

I would hold tight. This could or could not be a problem. Just remember - there is a human being sitting behind every court decision therefore you have a good chance of proving that you voted out of ignorance and not to intentionally violate the law. I would attempt to do several things while you are waiting:

1. Gather affidavits of good moral character from friends and respected colleagues (or classmates) that can speak about the quality of your character.
2. Get a letter from your school explaining that you are in good standing.
3. Get something that resembles college recommendation letters from professors, colleagues, etc.

You get the gist.

While you did break the law, the point here is to demonstrate that you did it out of ignorance and not out of contempt.

Again maslouj,

Relax, I think there should be a resolution in your case since breaking this law was unintentional on your part. I would advice you to contact/hire a good lawyer (why not RAJIV S. KHANNA) before sending in the voter registration record to USCIS.

Keep positive, you will be fine.

:)

Well, sorry to hear that. I couldn't help you but just listen to lawyer's advice. Did you try this lawyer Rajiv Khanna? I don't think you will be deported.

The worse case scenario is to apply for cancellation of removal before an immigration judge. You would be a good candidate for this. If approved the slate is wiped clean.

When I went to my GC interview, I was asked the same thing and I answered it the same way but I did not have any issues. Why was not a problem then and it is now.

All applicants pending with GC application can be said to be deportable but depotation must be held until a decision is made on GC. When granting a GC, USCIS consider inadmissbility. If voting was not inadmissible offense, then by
law they should not reject your GC application and once your GC was granted,
then they can not use prior voting to deport you anymore.

So don't worry too much. The people here may have a habit to
cause fear because we are all being frustrated so if fellow applocants
get frustrated too we can get comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they don't follow up with deportation, I would say don't ever apply again, lawyer or no lawyer.

That depends. For some living deportable life here is much worse than
being deported.
America is great but our home countriese nare not all hells.
So it depends upon conrcrete case of the individuals. If you are still young
maybe go ing home is a better choice. If one can settle on that, there is no hurt in reappllying again.
Then either way you are done with it.

The bottom line is a deportable life is only living if you are free of fear of deportation.
To overcome fear, either you should assume chance of being caught is small
or you can live with deportation. If the case is later, I say you can still
consider applying for citizenship as long as there is a chance for approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worse case scenario is to apply for cancellation of removal before an immigration judge. You would be a good candidate for this. If approved the slate is wiped clean.

Can USCIS use offense prior to cancellation of removal to remove you again?
It can be come a dead loop.

I believe the OP is OK because his voting occured before getting the GC
and he disclosed it so getting GC already serves as cancellation of removal.

There are news that some people were in removal proceeding for voting but I am not sure it if true or not since there is no follow-up. I beleive most of them
ecentually got off the hook.