Voting Before Naturalization Can Cause you Problems

The client was a vanilla-flavored N-400 dude from India, no other reason. If voter registration information is easily available by the election commission, it is easy to verify.

I don't believe that without applicants answering Yes to the ever voted or registered to vote question the USCIS would do an independent research on each applicant whether he had ever registered to vote or not

I got a Voter Registration form yesterday at the Oath Ceremony.

Just above the signature box it had...

Check one box
[ ] I am an American Citizen
[ ] I am not an American Citizen
If you checked "I am not an American Citizen" STOP, you cannot lodge this form as you are not eligible to vote.

That's from memory, but it was worded pretty much like that. Seems like they are fixing the problem.

I don't believe that without applicants answering Yes to the ever voted or registered to vote question the USCIS would do an independent research on each applicant whether he had ever registered to vote or not

I agree... however, given how computerized things are, little surprises me any more. There had to be some 'nervous tick' for the interview process to go that way, perhaps the applicant found out while getting his paperwork in process?

--Added---

Going by my wife's experience, she did get a nondescript postcard notification after she was added to the voter rolls. Indiana has no voter registration card per se and she brought the card with her to vote.

Perhaps said Indian dude only realized the issue when he received the postcard and reported it as he should on the N-400?. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't, and in his case, the simple explanation did not work as it went to court when according to my lawyer he had to drag the DMV clerk to testify...

Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of today, I am a US Citizen:):D. Thank you all for your help and support and remember that every case is different and the decision is in the hand of your Immigration Officer. I hope my case helped others and made a difference. God Bless The United States of America.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!!

I vote this as case of the year in this forum so far.

Now you should go to register to vote

even though is old but I am still gonna congratulate you buddy.you have gone through a hard time and being able to obtain American citizenship is so relieving!!!!

Hi guys how are you?

Please I need some advices from you guys

I just filed n400 last week and sent it to Dallas Texas, I'm a permanent residence since 11/17/2010 so I applied for citizenship as a 5 years PR.

After I mailed the application n400 I found out today that I register to vote back 2013, I forgot how I even registered so I called the voting office they said I registered through Dmv but I never voted so I went to the office and de-register and got a proof that I did remove my name and never voted . That was a mistake I never meant to vote. But I checked no for that question on the form have you ever register to vote ? I didn't know that time I was registered to vote .
Now I'm little scared about this , should I tell the interviewer that I did a mistake and i actually registered and here is a proof that o removed myself from voting system and never vote or don't mention anything at the interview .?

Please help me guys

Well, if you want you can write a letter explaining the circumstances, and give it to the interviewer if he/she wants to dig deeper, but you should first explain that you did not register on purpose and show proof that you didn't vote and de-registered.

Well, if you want you can write a letter explaining the circumstances, and give it to the interviewer if he/she wants to dig deeper, but you should first explain that you did not register on purpose and show proof that you didn't vote and de-registered.
Thank you so much . How much percent of winning here please ? Should I hire a lawyer

That, I don't know. I would wait for someone else to respond here.

Have you checked other threads about having mistakenly registered to vote?

Thanks buddy yes I did checked but not much people talking about and mostly are saying don't check yes just go and de register they will never find out .
I don't know what to do really

My advice to you is come clean trust me they will find out if an applicant lies.if you deregister the election board will automatically contact USCIS about you without your knowledge!!!it happened to me.