urgent help

tri_nj

Registered Users (C)
I recently got my GC. Do I need to get my passport stamped? I do have my card. I also need to know if I need to go to the social security office and change my status? I had received my social after my EAD. I am travelling to Canada soon, I want to get these done before I go.

I recently got my GC. Do I need to get my passport stamped?

No.

I also need to know if I need to go to the social security office and change my status? I had received my social after my EAD. I am travelling to Canada soon, I want to get these done before I go.

You probably should notify SSA at some point, but you do not need to before you travel.

I recently got my GC. Do I need to get my passport stamped? I do have my card.
---------you dont need stamp as you have the CARD

I also need to know if I need to go to the social security office and change my status? I had received my social after my EAD
---------------------YES, do that and you will get new SSN card with same number
. I am travelling to Canada soon, I want to get these done before I go.
---you can do it later after trip

--------------

Again, the re is no need to change your SSN card.

I applied for DL after I got the GC and was told by the DMV officer that I have to go to SS office to get new card without this long sentence "not autorized to work without INS permit or so". This may be advise from her or required by law, just call SS office and ask if it is required or an optional.

I applied for DL after I got the GC and was told by the DMV officer that I have to go to SS office to get new card without this long sentence "not autorized to work without INS permit or so". This may be advise from her or required by law, just call SS office and ask if it is required or an optional.

The Green Card is your INS/USCIS authorization. DMV workers are sub-human; I wouldn't listen to a word they say - he or she was just being lazy.

Again, the re is no need to change your SSN card.
The SS web site says you are supposed to. But I don't know of any specific deadlines, nor penalties for not doing it (other than potential hassles at places like the DMV or POE, or employers using e-Verify).