TSC Consolidated 485 Tracker

As far as I know from TSC rep (over phone) - my name check is cleared in Mid June. I'm waiting to cross 30 days from TSC processing dates. After that, I will ask my attorney to initiate an inquiry with TSC on my case and the response from TSC will tell if my name check has really been cleared or not.

antonioa77 said:
any idea when ur namecheck was cleared?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the same site - the total applications received by USCIS this year is similar to last year. Basically this year, VSC/CSC load has moved to NSC/TSC.
Since this was anticipated, it is likely USCIS beefed up staff strength at NSC/TSC to handle this additional load.

But the overall approvals is only half of last year. What the reason is anyone's guess .. one can only hope this is because of the new name check system, and once it goes online early Jan, we should see approvals going out ... I can dream too, cant' I ? :p

herenthere said:
I think the following has the most telling reasons as to what is going on this year:

http://www.immigrationwatch.com/uscis-processing-statistics.html

As you can see, the number of applications sent to Texas surged from 69896 in 2005 to 101782. This is almost a 50% increase in I-485s being filed at this center. I-140 scenario is even worse - from 18131 applications in 2005 to 53369 in 2006 (and this is only through November 2006, they haven't even charted December 2006 yet). Even with these application increases, the number of I-485 approvals has fallen by 10000! I think TSC is experiencing a significant overload right now (even though the less complicated H-1B filings at this center have dropped dramatically), which means that the whole 6 month processing timeline is not going to hold for much long IMO. So much for specialized center processing helping make them more efficient! :eek:

herenthere said:
I think the following has the most telling reasons as to what is going on this year:

http://www.immigrationwatch.com/uscis-processing-statistics.html

As you can see, the number of applications sent to Texas surged from 69896 in 2005 to 101782. This is almost a 50% increase in I-485s being filed at this center. I-140 scenario is even worse - from 18131 applications in 2005 to 53369 in 2006 (and this is only through November 2006, they haven't even charted December 2006 yet). Even with these application increases, the number of I-485 approvals has fallen by 10000! I think TSC is experiencing a significant overload right now (even though the less complicated H-1B filings at this center have dropped dramatically), which means that the whole 6 month processing timeline is not going to hold for much long IMO. So much for specialized center processing helping make them more efficient! :eek:

But TSC is transferring all I-129 and I-130 cases out. The recent slow down could be due to I-140/I485 officers understaffed while I-129/I-130 officers are still under training. When all these I-129/I-130 officers finished training. They will be adding to existing I-140/I-485 officers. At that time, the processing speed would be faster. That's my reasoning of recent slow down.

socialmix said:
Congratulations!!! enjoy your freedom...

>>>Two referrals taken by customer service for I-485 on 9/29/06, and 10/30/06

Could pls give more info what kind of referrals are these and how do you do them?

To be honest with you, those referrals are useless. You call the national customer service, then choose the option that your case is 30 days passed the processing time. A customer representative will take your name and receipt number, and will send an email to the service center that is processing your application. They ask you to wait 30 days for a response first time, and then 45 days second time. We got a response after 45 days that our case requires additional processing, and not to contact immigration for 6 months!!!
But that response didn't stop us, with help of the congressperson and the senator, they approved the case one month after that stupid response.

Anyway these referrals help you build a case against USCIS. If you're priority date is 30 days beyond the processing time, you should definitely call and make a referral. After a referral is made, they give you a confirmation number.

Now I just feel like those TSC staff is not trustworthy. The first time my husband called that the officer read through his file and told him that he should get it within 60 days. 2 weeks later, when he called again, the other TSC lady told him the security check is still pending with FBI. Additionally, one of my former co-worker has submitted I485 to VSC on 3/28 and transferred to TSC on 5/15. When his processing date was passed, he called and TSC told him that his case has been approved long time ago. However, the online message did not change and he did not get any approval notice, either. Then he asked his lawyer to call and got the same result. Therefore, his lawyer request a new card. Recently I just heard from my ex-co-worker and he told me that now his case became "security check pending" as well......I feel like that we are fooling around by TSC.

I agree with you there on the TSC staff. They don't even follow standard protocols regarding answering questions. I had called a few weeks back asking about security checks on my application, and the woman said it was all clear. I called again today just to make sure, and the woman on the phone said they don't give out that information. Obviously, the person I spoke to before didn't get the memo about not giving out information regarding the namecheck.

Anyway, I'm going to take the pessmistic route and assume I'm stuck in namecheck (I haven't even got an EAD approval from a center that is approving EADs in 20 days for several other applicants). I have an infopass scheduled next week but the officers at my local office are rude and I have never had a good experience with them, so I don't expect much.

hi herenthere
since they said namecheck is cleared its better to take optimistic route and think that its cleared.
bcas they always said it snot cleared wehn i asked them for my case

herenthere said:
I agree with you there on the TSC staff. They don't even follow standard protocols regarding answering questions. I had called a few weeks back asking about security checks on my application, and the woman said it was all clear. I called again today just to make sure, and the woman on the phone said they don't give out that information. Obviously, the person I spoke to before didn't get the memo about not giving out information regarding the namecheck.

Anyway, I'm going to take the pessmistic route and assume I'm stuck in namecheck (I haven't even got an EAD approval from a center that is approving EADs in 20 days for several other applicants). I have an infopass scheduled next week but the officers at my local office are rude and I have never had a good experience with them, so I don't expect much.

Security check not the only delaying factor...

Here is an interesting piece of information regarding how the "process" of case processing itself is clearly broken.

According to my findings from a few conversations with TSC, the reason that my case is delayed is nothing to do with pending security checks. I have had confirmation from TSC on several occasions that these were cleared on September 18, 2006.

So what is the problem exactly? Stick with me here because this is hard to describe...

When you file your I-485, in order for your receipt notice to be issued, they have to put your application into a physical file.

There are two types of "file" classification that can contain your case information, Alien "A Files" and Temporary "T Files".

Each alien that has filed any paperwork (ever) with USCIS has an "A File". This is the master file that should contain all pieces of documentation about the alien. These are physical files that can only be located in one place at a time. Allegedly, when these files are not currently being "used" by USCIS they are stored at the National Records Center.

A "T File" is purely a temporary place holder for documents that could not be placed directly into an "A File". So, dependant on the location of your "A File" at the time you file your Adjustment of Status paperwork will determine whether USCIS place your I-485 into your "A File" or create a "T File" for it.

Now I hope that wasn't too confusing and that everybody is still with me...

So what does this mean in terms of processing the case from that point? Well, this is where things seem to fall apart...

In order for the USCIS Service Center to adjudicate your adjustment of status they must be in possession of all the relevant documentation and it must be all located together in your "A File". If not, they cannot and will not move forward with adjudication.

Now that makes perfect sense to me. I would expect that all the documentation is needed before a decision can be made on a case.

So for example, if your "A File" was physically located at TSC when you filed your I-485 then it is most likely that it will be placed directly into the "A File". That is ideal as it means that all the documents are together and can be adjudicated as soon as all other requirements are satisfied (security checks, etc).

However, if your "A File" was not located at TSC when your I-485 was filed then chances are you would have a "T File" created for it. Meaning that your "A File" will need to be sent to TSC and then have the contents of your "T File" merged into it.

Hopefully this is still all making sense...

Now it appears that the "merging" of "A File" and "T File" is something that can be overlooked. In my case the I-485 has been sitting at TSC since August 11, 2006 being ignored. My "A File" that contains all the other information is still at the National Records Center (December 11, 2006).

The frustrating thing is that even if security checks are cleared, visa date is current, etc. the case can still not make progress. And yet as we all know, plenty of other cases are being approved at a rapid rate. But it does shed some light on why some cases get processed at much more speedily than others.

If the extremely helpful TSC representative (this is not common for them to be this helpful) hadn't looked into my case and put a request into the system for my file to be retrieved from the National Records Center, I seriously wonder how long this would have continued to achieve no progress.

We shall see if things now start to move in the right direction.

schehrazi said:
Hi,

Did you contact them after 60 days passed?

Thank you
Yes, I have called them many times and so did my attorney. They keep telling me that my case is with an officer for the decision and my security checks have been cleared. But they don't know when I will hear from them.
I-485 RD: 08/02/2006
RFE received: 09/14/2006
RFE responded: 09/21/2006

ohioperm said:
Yes, I have called them many times and so did my attorney. They keep telling me that my case is with an officer for the decision and my security checks have been cleared. But they don't know when I will hear from them.
I-485 RD: 08/02/2006
RFE received: 09/14/2006
RFE responded: 09/21/2006

when ur namechekc got cleared? any idea? from which country r u?

JonF said:
Here is an interesting piece of information regarding how the "process" of case processing itself is clearly broken.

According to my findings from a few conversations with TSC, the reason that my case is delayed is nothing to do with pending security checks. I have had confirmation from TSC on several occasions that these were cleared on September 18, 2006.

So what is the problem exactly? Stick with me here because this is hard to describe...

When you file your I-485, in order for your receipt notice to be issued, they have to put your application into a physical file.

There are two types of "file" classification that can contain your case information, Alien "A Files" and Temporary "T Files".

Each alien that has filed any paperwork (ever) with USCIS has an "A File". This is the master file that should contain all pieces of documentation about the alien. These are physical files that can only be located in one place at a time. Allegedly, when these files are not currently being "used" by USCIS they are stored at the National Records Center.

A "T File" is purely a temporary place holder for documents that could not be placed directly into an "A File". So, dependant on the location of your "A File" at the time you file your Adjustment of Status paperwork will determine whether USCIS place your I-485 into your "A File" or create a "T File" for it.

Now I hope that wasn't too confusing and that everybody is still with me...

So what does this mean in terms of processing the case from that point? Well, this is where things seem to fall apart...

In order for the USCIS Service Center to adjudicate your adjustment of status they must be in possession of all the relevant documentation and it must be all located together in your "A File". If not, they cannot and will not move forward with adjudication.

Now that makes perfect sense to me. I would expect that all the documentation is needed before a decision can be made on a case.

So for example, if your "A File" was physically located at TSC when you filed your I-485 then it is most likely that it will be placed directly into the "A File". That is ideal as it means that all the documents are together and can be adjudicated as soon as all other requirements are satisfied (security checks, etc).

However, if your "A File" was not located at TSC when your I-485 was filed then chances are you would have a "T File" created for it. Meaning that your "A File" will need to be sent to TSC and then have the contents of your "T File" merged into it.

Hopefully this is still all making sense...

Now it appears that the "merging" of "A File" and "T File" is something that can be overlooked. In my case the I-485 has been sitting at TSC since August 11, 2006 being ignored. My "A File" that contains all the other information is still at the National Records Center (December 11, 2006).

The frustrating thing is that even if security checks are cleared, visa date is current, etc. the case can still not make progress. And yet as we all know, plenty of other cases are being approved at a rapid rate. But it does shed some light on why some cases get processed at much more speedily than others.

If the extremely helpful TSC representative (this is not common for them to be this helpful) hadn't looked into my case and put a request into the system for my file to be retrieved from the National Records Center, I seriously wonder how long this would have continued to achieve no progress.

We shall see if things now start to move in the right direction.

Very interesting. In that case, I'm screwed because I've had several other applications in the past going back 6 years (OPTs, H-1Bs, etc.) filed in Vermont and Nebraska, and now I have had the "luck" of seeing my case transferred to Texas. Who knows where all my files are! :eek:
Hopefully they'll get their act together in 2007.

herenthere said:
Very interesting. In that case, I'm screwed because I've had several other applications in the past going back 6 years (OPTs, H-1Bs, etc.) filed in Vermont and Nebraska, and now I have had the "luck" of seeing my case transferred to Texas. Who knows where all my files are! :eek:
Hopefully they'll get their act together in 2007.

same here , files between NSC and VSC and now TSC. then I have to call maybe TSC and tell them about this in order thatthey order those files as soon as possible while my namecheck is pending. what a stupid system really!!!! all a mess from A to Z. afterall this mess , I deserve to be an immigration lawyer because i faced all kinds of problems with this system.

Name check it is

richshi said:
If 80% Chinese, Indians are stuck with name check (or just excuse), then I think we have a case of discrimination. I wonder maybe those guys got approved, but did not bother to come here to update us. Because per USCIS, the name check will hold up only a small percentage of applicants for lengthy check, how come we have 80% chinese, indians held by name check. I am thinking of writing a complaint letter to TSC director about the targeting processing... just not so confident about our statistics, plus my own receipt date is July 26, theoretically not my turn yet to complain.

These stats seem reasonable. At first I thought I was one of the few "unlucky" ones to get sucked into the name check black hole but looks like this is more of a norm than an exception these days. Most of the people whose PDs are current and have their cases pending seem to have cited NC as the reason.

This situation could have resulted from either:
1. FBI has not completed name check (problem with FBI processes); or
2. FBI has completed name check but results have not been updated back to USCIS system (problem with FBI and/or USCIS process).

If it is the latter, the new consolidated system being implemented by USCIS in Jan '07 may provide some relief. If former, I guess it'll be one long frustrating struggle to see this through.

Of course, this is pure speculation based on my personal observation but seems quite plausible.

records at the center?

Called TSC to enquire about my namecheck and status. they keep telling me that my case is at the center and they don't have access to confidential information stored at the center. they could not tell if my name chaeck is still pending. what is this center, does anyone have any idea.

thanks,
cksrp
PD July 2002
RD Sept 2005

bay said:
Now I just feel like those TSC staff is not trustworthy. The first time my husband called that the officer read through his file and told him that he should get it within 60 days. 2 weeks later, when he called again, the other TSC lady told him the security check is still pending with FBI. Additionally, one of my former co-worker has submitted I485 to VSC on 3/28 and transferred to TSC on 5/15. When his processing date was passed, he called and TSC told him that his case has been approved long time ago. However, the online message did not change and he did not get any approval notice, either. Then he asked his lawyer to call and got the same result. Therefore, his lawyer request a new card. Recently I just heard from my ex-co-worker and he told me that now his case became "security check pending" as well......I feel like that we are fooling around by TSC.

Hi,
Seems like you called TSC and talk to them. Can you tell which number I need to call? I am in the same situation. Is it the same 1-800---- number that is mentioned on each receipt?

Thanks in advance?

ijaffery said:
Hi,
Seems like you called TSC and talk to them. Can you tell which number I need to call? I am in the same situation. Is it the same 1-800---- number that is mentioned on each receipt?

Thanks in advance?

yes, same 1800 number. Search "POJ" in this forum and then you will know how to talk to TSC directly.

No updates !!

I called TSC yesterday and they are still saying the same answer. No updates received on my security check. I asked them is there any timeframe on this.
They are not commenting anything.

I-485 RD: June 8th 2006

ph2002 said:
I called TSC yesterday and they are still saying the same answer. No updates received on my security check. I asked them is there any timeframe on this.

I guess TSC has stopped giving out this information. I had the same experience yesterday. A better bet would be to try an Infopass appointment.

ph2002 said:

Can you please give me a number that you are calling at TSC?

Thanks in advance !!!

ijaffery said:
Can you please give me a number that you are calling at TSC?

Thanks in advance !!!

Try this...

1. Dial 1-800-375-5283
2. Select 1 (for English)
3. Select 2 (for case that you have already filed)
4. Select 6 (to check on the status of your case)
5. Select 1 (if you know your receipt no.)
6. Enter Receipt No.:srcxxx-xxx-xxxx
7. Select 1 (if your receipt number starts with SRC)
8. Select 1 (if receipt number entered is correct)
9. Select 3 to continue to the next step
10.Select 4 (filed several related cases together) to speak to a TSC representative