TSC Consolidated 485 Tracker

I'm reattaching the template that used, modify it the way you wanted it.

I sent the letter along with
1. FOIPA report,
2. Police Clearence Certificate (That i got in India, which was a requirement for Australian Visa)
3. MY FBI finger Print Report (Which was a part of the back ground check that my employer did on 2002)

I send the letters to FL, Judiciary Committee and to FBI
FL:
Honorable First Lady Mrs. Laura Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Judiciary Committee:
U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary
Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Citizenship
224 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

FBI:
William L Hooton
Assistant Director, Records Management Division
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Room 11703
935 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W
Washington DC 20535-0001

Robert J. Garrity
Assistant Director, Records Management Division
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Room 11703
935 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W
Washington DC 20535-0001

Thanks for your information! Your help will help many of us! What is FOIPA report and where did you get it?

Congressional intervention will expedite namecheck ?

I don't think so ( actually the congressional queries increases workload ).

See
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm
Does contacting my Congressional representative expedite my name check?

No, the customer agency determines expedited handling. The FBI's policy is to be responsive to our customer's needs given the limits of our resources. Re-prioritization from multiple sources would convolute the customer agency's ability to manage their priority cases.

Is there a fee I can pay to expedite the process?

No. Processing times are a function of the volume of work versus the resources that can be applied to the task. Paying an additional fee would not speed up the name check process.

Privacy release form

Thanks for this valuable information. I am stuck in name check and sent letters to senators and congress man in Feb. No reply. I am thinking of sending letters to FL, Judiciary Committee and to FBI. I guess we need to sign and send a privacy release form along with the letters. I would highly appreciate if you could please post the link to the privacy release forms for FL, Judiciary Committee and FBI.

Thanks
vbhatia

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually suspect...

... that the VSC/CSC transfers to TSC/NSC affects the whole processing there now. That simply increases the number of cases to be processed and I don't know they are well-staffed to deal with this increased workload (of course I doubt it). And they said they would keep the original RD's of the transferred cases (which is fair and reasonable), but in order to do so, they most likely need to re-arrange/re-coordinate the whole task and the like. I fear they have been too busy to do stretching exercise before jogging (no, toddling) and hasn't really resumed the actual processing work... and it's effectively stopped for a while. :( It's been a month+ since the last update.

Also 1 year progress of cut-off date for EB3.....might have affected TSC somehow. They might be busy doing something else by now.......
geofu54 said:
And the processing time not updated for a month. Coincidence?

I don't think so either

and that was why WOM used to be people's last hope.

That being said perhaps it doesn't hurt to try everything possible... and hope for the best.

I don't think so ( actually the congressional queries increases workload ).

See
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm
Does contacting my Congressional representative expedite my name check?

No, the customer agency determines expedited handling. The FBI's policy is to be responsive to our customer's needs given the limits of our resources. Re-prioritization from multiple sources would convolute the customer agency's ability to manage their priority cases.

Is there a fee I can pay to expedite the process?

No. Processing times are a function of the volume of work versus the resources that can be applied to the task. Paying an additional fee would not speed up the name check process.

namecheck

I am not sure if this was posted here or I found it from somewhere else, please take a look at question 53 (pg 54) if you are interested in the status of the FBI namecheck program in Dec of 2006 and what they are doing or planing to do to improve the process.

http://www.ala.org/ala/washoff/WOissues/civilliberties/theusapatriotact/Muellerresponses050206.pdf

Overal, it seems that at the moment, enough people have asked senators and representatives about their name checks and they know the process is broken. After introduction of the "Citizenship promotion act of 2007", hearing of the Microsoft chairman, Bill Gates, at the senate and also introduction of the "SKIL act of 2007" (a few days ago), I think they will do something about the broken legal immigration system. The "Citizenship promotion act of 2007" puts a time limit in which all the security clearances of a naturalization or permanent residency applicant has to be done. What matters is when these laws are going to become effective. I checked the status of this act, it was given to the Judiciary Committee about a month ago and it is being reviewd.

In the above hearing, the FBI directo does not specify a time when all the improvements at the NNCP will become effective, however, the "Citizenship promotion act of 2007" is supposed to be passed and become effective by Jan. 2008.

The text of the above acts can be found at the following addresses if you are interested in reading them:

SKIL Act of 2007:
http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22114

Citizenship Promotion Act of 2007:

http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=21857

Wish everybody the best of luck.

Hi srr,

Our files got transferred in July 2006

my EB-2 I-140 got approved in Feb. 28, 2006
EB-1 I-140 got approved in Feb. 26, 2007
I-485 EB-2 niw filed in Sep. 2005
First FP done: Oct. 2005

I have attached the new rule for your reference. The new rule says that USCIS must adjundicate EAD case before Day 70. So at Day 70, if you still have not received decision from USCIS, you should print the attached document and show it to USCIS officer during infopass to request for expedite. If you received RFE at Day 70, the day will reset to Day 0 for another 90 day waiting period. In this case, bring your RFE with the printout of the attached document to USCIS officer during infopass to request for interim EAD. Hope this helps.

I checked the another link here, I found people who suffering EAD arrival said that there is no interim EAD anymore. Who is right?

Page 24 in the report.

Some types of background and security checks return results within a few days and do not significantly prolong USCIS processing times or hinder backlog reduction goals. However, while the overall percentage of long-pending cases is small, as of May 2006, USCIS reported 235,802 FBI name checks pending, with approximately 65 percent (153,166) of those cases
pending more than 90 days and approximately 35 percent (82,824) pending more than one year.

This is almost the same conclusion with my eariler post

Source:

http://www.ala.org/ala/washoff/WOissues/civilliberties/theusapatriotact/Muellerresponses050206.pdf

more than one third world-wide 485 cases will have to wait more than one-year for FBI NC.

0-30 16665
30-60 17427
60-90 14413
90-120 5467
120-365 31063
>1 year 52073

The percentage of the aplications who were stuck in NC for Chinese and India will much higher than that for world-wide.

You would have been right if you had said "more than one third world-wide 485 cases whose NC are pending" instead of more than one third world-wide 485 cases. See the difference?

Page 24 in the report.

Originally Posted by rollingstone
Read this:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/C...eport_2006.pdf

Has some eye-opening statements...

Some types of background and security checks return results within a few days and do not significantly prolong USCIS processing times or hinder backlog reduction goals. However, while the overall percentage of long-pending cases is small, as of May 2006, USCIS reported 235,802 FBI name checks pending, with approximately 65 percent (153,166) of those cases
pending more than 90 days and approximately 35 percent (82,824) pending more than one year.

This is almost the same conclusion with my eariler post

Originally Posted by 2getgc
Source:

http://www.ala.org/ala/washoff/WOiss...nses050206.pdf

more than one third world-wide 485 cases will have to wait more than one-year for FBI NC.

0-30 16665
30-60 17427
60-90 14413
90-120 5467
120-365 31063
>1 year 52073

The percentage of the aplications who were stuck in NC for Chinese and India will much higher than that for world-wide.

In a nutshell...

... what those reports suggest is that, as some people here have repeatedly pointed out, if you are unlucky, chances are great that you are very, very unlucky.

You would have been right if you had said "more than one third world-wide 485 cases whose NC are pending" instead of more than one third world-wide 485 cases. See the difference?

I checked the another link here, I found people who suffering EAD arrival said that there is no interim EAD anymore. Who is right?

The old rule allowed EAD applicant to get interim EAD after pending for 90 days. The new rule will allow EAD applicant to get interim EAD if RFE was received. However, I am not sure if the interim EAD is issued by local USCIS office or Service Center.

The old rule allowed EAD applicant to get interim EAD after pending for 90 days. The new rule will allow EAD applicant to get interim EAD if RFE was received. However, I am not sure if the interim EAD is issued by local USCIS office or Service Center.

WT....this doesn't make any sense.

Rfe

I've got excited today because my LUD has been changed. But it's not a approval yet, it is just a RFE.

What are the common RFEs for 485?

USCIS agents have confirmed that my FP and NC are cleared already, and my application is waiting to be assigned to a officer, so hopefully after theis RFE the process will speed up a little bit :)

Thanks for the link to the Ombudsman article, a very good read indeed. It captured all the major concerns we, as consumers in this case, may have regarding FBI name checks, but came up with a completely wrong conclusion. It confirms that high-rank officials in Government agencies and law makers are fully aware of this issue, yet it sends out a chilling signal since nothing has been done to address it despite the fact that a delay in name check completion poses serious national security risks also.

Some of my take-away:
1. It is a well known problem “…USCIS personnel across the country also regularly raise the issue of FBI name check delays as the most pervasive problem preventing completion of cases.”

2. It is a significant problem. 15.7% written complaints are name check related. Considering many people never bother to file a formal inquiry, the actual percentage may be much higher.

3. New data indicate 35% of cases need more than one year to complete name check, as compared to previous report of only 1%

4. They’ve seen cases pending name check for 4-5 years, both green card and citizenship applications.

5. Sometimes it is not your full name, but part of your name that is raising a flag and causing the delay.

6. USCIS actually pays FBI for name check services.

7. USCIS may have to redo other background checks once a long delayed name check result finally comes back. Ouch!

8. It doesn’t make any sense to anyone if the purpose of conducting name checks is to ensure national security, but the individual is physically present in the US during a name check process that takes years to complete.

9. This is important: the article recommends in the end that all background checks should be done prior to submission of applications. This is just ridiculous! It means you will have to wait for name check to be completed before you can even file I-485, thus not able to get EAD, AP and anything else. After all the right reasons he cited, he came up with the wrong conclusion. It is the year-long delay in the name check process that should be fixed, not the other way around. If future security checks only take one week to finish, it really doesn’t make a difference in terms of security concerns whether one can file applications before or after.

Last edited by a moderator: