• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump’s New Executive Proclamation - Travel Suspension 2.0

Maybe kcc will work on both dv2020 and 2021 at the same time?

Don't think they would be able to finish both dv2021 + remaining of dv2020 at the same time if this happen, not even mentioning the ongoing pandemic. Not a law expert but I think dv2021ers would fill a lawsuit related with that matter too. Hope experts can find the best solution for everyone.

I don't want to give anyone false hope. But from this tweet it seems like it's possible to extend deadline to 2021.09.31

summary:
Lawyer says let’s do this, judge says I don’t think it’s possible, lawyer says I think it is.

Sorry, I don’t see how this is hope, or how it’s different to anything else. We’ve had before a judge try this before and it’s gone nowhere in practice (no visas issued) because the law says otherwise.

Don't think they would be able to finish both dv2021 + remaining of dv2020 at the same time if this happen, not even mentioning the ongoing pandemic. Not a law expert but I think dv2021ers would fill a lawsuit related with that matter too. Hope experts can find the best solution for everyone.
That makes sense

It’s possible, but at this point very unlikely. There are about 7 weeks left until FY 2020 ends. Laws usually take some time to amend depending on their complexity.
While I agree that it's unlikely, it's worth noting that due to Covid, they are willing to pass relevant bills very quickly, at the moment, and a hypothetical DV rider on a relief bill wouldn't be impossible. However, practically speaking, even if it reached the draft of a bill, it would just be as a bargaining chip, for removal later. Besides, I don't believe it's been brought up in the current relief bill being debated.

summary:
Lawyer says let’s do this, judge says I don’t think it’s possible, lawyer says I think it is.

Sorry, I don’t see how this is hope, or how it’s different to anything else. We’ve had before a judge try this before and it’s gone nowhere in practice (no visas issued) because the law says otherwise.
@SusieQQQ , thanks for your simple answer. You, @Sm1smom and @Britsimon are always there for us. We are grateful.

summary:

I don't think the judge saying he doesn't think it is possible implies it isn't possible. He probably just isn't familiar with what that entails.
I'm one of those who think DV 2020 is effectively over, but in the age of COVID-19, we have seen several laws adjusted for the time being by the stroke of a pen to provide accommodations for the dictates of the pandemic. I like to think that immigration law and DV law is no different. Maybe not as urgent as the others but pretty sure it only takes the will of the government either voluntarily or under compulsure to do something about it by the stroke of the pen.
That it will actually happen is anyone's guess at the moment.

I don't think the judge saying he doesn't think it is possible implies it isn't possible. He probably just isn't familiar with what that entails.
I'm one of those who think DV 2020 is effectively over, but in the age of COVID-19, we have seen several laws adjusted for the time being by the stroke of a pen to provide accommodations for the dictates of the pandemic. I like to think that immigration law and DV law is no different. Maybe not as urgent as the others but pretty sure it only takes the will of the government either voluntarily or under compulsure to do something about it by the stroke of the pen.
That it will actually happen is anyone's guess at the moment.
I don’t see how you have any insight into what he’s familiar with but I don’t even think that’s relevant tbh. as I said - a judge has tried this before and it hasn’t worked, and that’s the relevant issue.
I’m sorry but to be blunt - with everything going on at the moment, you’re in a pipe dream if you think a DV addition to any bill for Covid relief is on anyone’s horizon. The laws that have been adjusted “by the stroke of a pen” are the presidential proclamations, including the one that banned DV in the first place. Trump is not going to backtrack on that. It’s going to be the class action suits getting a TRO or nothing, imo.

I have read transcripts of today's hearing (not a lawyer or law expert), state lawyers seem completely unprepared? They seem like they don't have any idea on what's going on either and judge sounds like he is not satisfied with their arguments at all. I believe this is a good sign for 2020s.

I have read transcripts of today's hearing (not a lawyer or law expert), state lawyers seem completely unprepared? They seem like they don't have any idea on what's going on either and judge sounds like he is not satisfied with their arguments at all. I believe this is a good sign for 2020s.

Link?

This is from Curtis Morrison for those whos visa expired.

Ok, it’s complicated…. But there has been development in the DV litigation, which includes the Gomez (proposed class action case).

After urging by myself, the Gomez lawyers refused to include expired DVs as a subclass in their amended complaint. This is bad- as it could mean the ultimate relief by Judge Mehta does not benefit the category you are in.

Fortunately, there is another attorney, Charles Kuck, the lead attorney in the Aker v Trump case, who is going to try to certify a class action to help this category. But he needs our help.

He needs to put together a list of people in this category to show the court how many people are affected.

What they need is simple.

Email the answers to these three questions to Phil Kuck (pkuck@immigration.net):

1) Expired DVs name?

2) When the expired DV was issued?

3) What consulate?

This is from Curtis Morrison for those whos visa expired.

Ok, it’s complicated…. But there has been development in the DV litigation, which includes the Gomez (proposed class action case).

After urging by myself, the Gomez lawyers refused to include expired DVs as a subclass in their amended complaint. This is bad- as it could mean the ultimate relief by Judge Mehta does not benefit the category you are in.

Fortunately, there is another attorney, Charles Kuck, the lead attorney in the Aker v Trump case, who is going to try to certify a class action to help this category. But he needs our help.

He needs to put together a list of people in this category to show the court how many people are affected.

What they need is simple.

Email the answers to these three questions to Phil Kuck (pkuck@immigration.net):

1) Expired DVs name?

2) When the expired DV was issued?

3) What consulate?
This is probably even more complicated by the fact that some embassies are actually reissuing expired DVs.