trips over 6 mos - interview approaching..

Status
Not open for further replies.

adi325

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My interview date is approaching and I have a difficult situation, therefore I need some advice please.

I have 2 trips outside of US, one of 11 months(used GC to reenter and got a "warning", that's what the officer told me) and the other of 9 months(used RP to reenter) of continuous stay outside the US. Before this time I have 3 years and 11 months of continous living in the USA since I got my GC. In july this year I also got a Reentry Permit that was sent to my native country's consulate.

My questions are:

1. Will my passport be the only way they can verify the time spend out of US?

2. How can they know how long I stayed outside of the US if there are only entry dates on my passport?

3. If I bring a brand new passport with no records to the interview, will might help?

4. Should I bring the reentry permit with me or this will automatically disqualify me because this is given only when having long periods of staying outside of US, even thought since I got it has been only 4 months?

Thank you. Your advice is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to trick USCIS is NOT a good idea, so I advise you to forget that. They have records based on airline information and when they scan your GC/passport at the POE. They may not have every date, but you don't know what they have, and I advise you to be absolutely honest during this process as any lying will leave you vulnerable to denaturalisation in the future if the government should want to pursue that.

Give them exact dates and make your case. Explain why you were outside more than 6 months. Worst case scenario, you ll be denied and ask to apply a year later rather than lie and make every night a nightmare of IO revoking your citizenship.

Give them exact dates and make your case. Explain why you were outside more than 6 months. Worst case scenario, you ll be denied and ask to apply a year later rather than lie and make every night a nightmare of IO revoking your citizenship.

Trying to trick USCIS is NOT a good idea, so I advise you to forget that. They have records based on airline information and when they scan your GC/passport at the POE. They may not have every date, but you don't know what they have, and I advise you to be absolutely honest during this process as any lying will leave you vulnerable to denaturalisation in the future if the government should want to pursue that.

That's what I was thinking to do; so in my case what are my chances?

Or more likely, outright denial with "poor moral character" going on the record, for failing to mention a trip or two that they know about. This has actually happened to people on this forum. You don't know what they know and what they don't know.

What travel dates did you put in your N-400? You have to be consistent.

I did not put any of the 2 long trips. I only put one that I had for 2 months and that was the first long trip after 3 years and 11 months stay in US since GC.

Or more likely, outright denial with "poor moral character" going on the record, for failing to mention a trip or two that they know about. This has actually happened to people on this forum. You don't know what they know and what they don't know.

I really don't think they have the time to contact the airlines for each aplicant to find out when he left the US. They know when I got back because they see it on my passport, but how will they know when I left?

I really don't think they have the time to contact the airlines for each aplicant to find out when he left the US. They know when I got back because they see it on my passport, but how will they know when I left?
They don't have to contact the airlines, because since 9/11 the airlines send them passenger manifests which go into DHS databases. It's not perfect information, because the airlines don't have SSNs or A# (unless they swiped your GC when you checked in at the airport, which happened to me), but there is correlating information like addresses and sometimes phone numbers or driver's license numbers. And that "warning" you got after the 11 month trip may have been noted in their system, so you should expect the interviewer to already know about that trip.

Have you seen your own A-file? They have much more information about you than you think. Get the idea out of your head about lying to them about this. If you want to do that, go ahead and take that risk on your own, but don't come here asking for how to cheat the system.

It sounds like you're still taking long trips outside the US, given that you have a recent reentry permit? Don't expect to get approved anytime soon if that is the case.

Since 9/11, Airlines are required to report to DHS. There is an aotomated process that feeds data from each port of entry to DHS database. some peple have tried to trick DHS by traveling to Canada and then taking flights from there to overseas. Even Canadian airports report to DHS.

Airlines going out of US and comming Into US report only. He is right, USCIS doesn't have time to check record for everyone but they can, what if they slect you for additional backgroung check. You already have reported a trip longer than 6 months. Its better to tell them and take chances. If they find out later then it would be more trouble for u.

I am sure USCIS has a dedicated person to go over this forum everyday. read each posting and comments to make their process and system better and fraud proof. :)

I know they are slow and lazy but not stupid.

why nobody can tell me what are my chances with the situation I have?! I don't want to lie, I just want to be prepared what to tell them because I never had this interview before. And don't tell me that everyone in this forum who passed this interview said the truth and nothing but the truth. I'm sure airlines send info to them, but if I know I have no chance to pass with my situation, why bother going?

if you tell them the truth you will have peace of mind. they might deny you but you can reply. take your chances. its depends on the IO too. how long ago did you come back?

if you tell them the truth you will have peace of mind. they might deny you but you can reply. take your chances. its depends on the IO too. how long ago did you come back?

I'm not back yet! and my second trip for 9 months will be when I get back and reenter with the reentry permit... I'm studing at an american university overseas currently.

you can take your chances but I dont think u will be approved. but I have read ppl were able to secure citizenship with cases like urs. search in this forum

why nobody can tell me what are my chances with the situation I have?! I don't want to lie, I just want to be prepared what to tell them because I never had this interview before. And don't tell me that everyone in this forum who passed this interview said the truth and nothing but the truth. I'm sure airlines send info to them, but if I know I have no chance to pass with my situation, why bother going?
Your chances of approval are very low at this time if you're still taking extended absences outside the US. For people who have taken long trips like you did but still got approved, they waited until after their traveling was done, and remained in the US for several months (or even a few years) before applying.

You probably won't get approved now, but you would hurt your chances for future approval if you get caught in a lie.

Before this time I have 3 years and 11 months of continous living in the USA since I got my GC.

I had exactly the same amount of time when I applied for Citizenship back in March 2007. During my interview the officer even told me that 3yrs 11mos. was not even close to having 5 years continuous residency and she even told me when I should be applying and suggested me to withdraw the application.

Don't apply. You will get denied. Just wait 13 more months and you will be ok.

I had exactly the same amount of time when I applied for Citizenship back in March 2007. During my interview the officer even told me that 3yrs 11mos. was not even close to having 5 years continuous residency and she even told me when I should be applying and suggested me to withdraw the application.

Don't apply. You will get denied. Just wait 13 more months and you will be ok.

Thanks for encouraging me. I applied a while ago.. i'll go to the interview no matter what, at least to know why I lost my money for, if I get denied.

As several posters wrote, do not lie to the US government. If you did not disclosure your long trips in the application, you need to do so at the interview. The interviewer will ask you if you've made any additional trips out of the country since the date of your application. At that point, reply yes and that you'd like to amend the application with additional dates that you forgot.

You will likely get denied for having broken continuous residency. If you're studying aboard, however, and you have family back in the US and they're paying for your foreign education and you maintain your residence in the US (have bank accounts, credit cards, etc.), you can try to argue that you've maintained residency in the US. Since you're actually still abroad though and you'll be flying back for the interview that's probably a tough sell. At best they'll tell you to reapply after you've moved back. If they say you broke continous residency, you can reapply 4 years plus 1 day after you move back.

As several posters wrote, do not lie to the US government. If you did not disclosure your long trips in the application, you need to do so at the interview. The interviewer will ask you if you've made any additional trips out of the country since the date of your application. At that point, reply yes and that you'd like to amend the application with additional dates that you forgot.

You will likely get denied for having broken continuous residency. If you're studying aboard, however, and you have family back in the US and they're paying for your foreign education and you maintain your residence in the US (have bank accounts, credit cards, etc.), you can try to argue that you've maintained residency in the US. Since you're actually still abroad though and you'll be flying back for the interview that's probably a tough sell. At best they'll tell you to reapply after you've moved back. If they say you broke continous residency, you can reapply 4 years plus 1 day after you move back.

GOT APPROVED! no questions asked about travelling.

thanks for encouraging me..

Status
Not open for further replies.