Traveling To What Countries Would Affect Naturalization After Gc

Captain Kirk

Registered Users (C)
Hello All
Are there any countries that we should NOT travel if we are US GC holder?
That is, does any travel to a particular country(s) effect our Naturalization Application?
thanks

By traveling to Cuba and spending money there, US residents may invite trouble from the DOJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarification,
The US govt has rules against spending money in Cuba, There is no law stopping you from travelling to cuba, you just cannot spend your money there. So you can take your yatch from Miami to Havana and moore it in the harbor, but you cannot buy anything there. You can also step on the land, but not spend any money.
The Rule also says that it is applicable to US Person where a person in a defined as an individual or entity that maintains atleast 180 days in the US or registered in the US.

Hello All
Are there any countries that we should NOT travel if we are US GC holder?
That is, does any travel to a particular country(s) effect our Naturalization Application?
thanks

As far as I know none.
There are countries that are under embargo, These are mostly economic embargo's. You would jeopardize yourself if you are in violation of any laws. As far as I know the US govt does not have travel embargo's against any country.

Clarification,
The US govt has rules against spending money in Cuba, There is no law stopping you from travelling to cuba, you just cannot spend your money there. So you can take your yatch from Miami to Havana and moore it in the harbor, but you cannot buy anything there. You can also step on the land, but not spend any money.
The Rule also says that it is applicable to US Person where a person in a defined as an individual or entity that maintains atleast 180 days in the US or registered in the US.

I shall repeat what I have said numerous times before. Logic may not be applicable in USCIS or DHS matters. Regardless of what the rules say, unless there is a very special reason, I am sure flags would be raised if one is travelling to Iran, Iraq or North Korea. Some even include Syria, Libya and Cuba in this "Axis of Evil".

Stoned!

Yeah, and, while you can go without SPENDING MONEY, it's practically impossible to spend NO MONEY. Marina docking costs, visa?

thanks

I shall repeat what I have said numerous times before. Logic may not be applicable in USCIS or DHS matters. Regardless of what the rules say, unless there is a very special reason, I am sure flags would be raised if one is travelling to Iran, Iraq or North Korea. Some even include Syria, Libya and Cuba in this "Axis of Evil".
Stoned!

hey all thanks much for the replies
i think stoned is right on this.
But the point mentioned by NKelker is also valid.

THIS LINK GIVES STATE DEPT TRAVEL INFO
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_1168.html

GOOGLE SEARCHING "US TRAVEL EMBARGO" ONLY MENTIONS CUBA

CHEERS

I think it is possible to spend up to $100 per day in Cuba. I mean it is not a violation of embargo against Cuba

I have personally travelled to Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and recently even Afghanistan. None of these are business trips, purely Tourism and sightseeing. I have never had any problems in immigration. I travel back and forth between Europe and US every week and go thru US immigration every friday. I have an Indian Passport and thus Visa pages for all these countries. Immigration officers see them, but not once have been questioned or stopped.
In respect to Cuba, One does not need a visa, you get a tourist card that is stamped by the Cuban authorities and not your passport. One can always fund their Cuban trip using non us regulated bank accounts. Say for example one has an European Credit card, that is paid from a European bank. The fund in the bank are from a non US source, then you would be Ok to spend the money in Cuba.

I have been to a lot of countries for backpacking in the past and those countries include Syria, Zimbabwe and Myammar(Burma) where the US has been watching. When I applied H1 visa, it took a little longer to get it beause of this fact, but those issues have never come up for GC process(I didn't even have interview for GC).

As for Cuba, be careful. As someone said, logic may not be applicable for DOJ. I wouldn't go as long as obscure regulation is in place even with a little logic that "it's ok if I don't spend US$ or so". Remember what happened to Bobby Fischer.

Last edited by a moderator: