Transferred to Local INS office in Washington -Aug 15th RD

March 1st, Independece Day

Hi All,

First time posting here. But have been reading this forum for years now. All the wealth of good information from the members is greatly appreciated and helped me a lot along my journey.

Ok, I got interviewed yesterday, March 1st, and thanks and praise to God I had a 20 min interview and walked out of the office with a stamp on my passport.

Here are the details.

Labor Certification March 2001 , got approved in Dec 2001
Lawyer messed up and didn't file till Sep 2002
Filed I140+I485 concurrently in Sep 2002
Got I140 approval in March 2004 (yes after two years !!!!! )
3 EAD's
3 FP's
Case got transferred to local office in VA in July 2005
Interview Date Feb 10/2005
Interview + Stamp March 1st, 2005

So it took a good 3 years for the whole thing to get done.

Here is my experience from the interview yesterday.

My appointment was scheduled for 1 PM. I got there at 12. My lawyer showed up at 12:45PM. We got called in around 1:10 PM by officer A. Now there has been a mis-conception here about the officers designations. The officer designation changes on a daily basis, meaning that if today officer A is person X tomorrow it could be person Y. My lawyer told me they actually designate the officers in the morning everyday, they do it so that the intervieews don't know beforehand who will be interviewing them. So anyway this guy, a young african american person was very nice. He was very straightfoward and didn't make me feel uncomfortable or nervous in anyway. My laywer went in with me.
So I went in and this is how it went....

Before going to his office, I was fingerprinted and signed a card which will be attached to the back of the greencard.
Before sitting down in his office he made me take an oath.
First thing he asked for was my drivers license and verified I was still living at the same address.
Then all my EAD's.
Then my passport.
He asked me how I came to US, I told him on F1 and he asked which University so I told him. He asked me if I completed my education and I said yes and my lawyer gave him a copy of my degree. At first he said he didn't need it but then changed his mind and put it in the file.
Then my employment letter
Taxes + W2, I justed started working from my sponsor so only had 5 months of paystubs and he was fine with it.
He asked if I was fingerprinted and then checked his system and it was fine.
He saw my medical on file, I told him I redid it , he said i didn't need to but he will take it anyway ($ 255 down the drain)
Then he got a paper out and asked me some generic questions about if I every had a police record etc and put check marks on it.
Then he said everything seems to be in order and checked the FBI/name check on the system which was done.

And thats it, I walked away with the stamp.

Some steps I took thanks to reading posts on this forum, I started calling Emily at the senator's office in September 2004 about my case and she got back to me saying I should get an interview date in February. And I did on March 1st. She is great!!!!!!

I sent an email for my FBI/namecheck, but never heard anything back from them ? So I'm not sure if it did anything.

Well, I am so relieved now that this journey is over. I wish everyone here best of luck and just hang in there your time will come. God is Great !

BTW, has anyone here actually received the card in the mail, if so how long did it take for you to get your card after your case got approved.

Thanks everyone and good luck !!!

:D

wonderfulboy said:
Hi Friends,

I want to notify you all that my wife did received interview letter from INS yesterday i.e. 1st March. The interview date is on 16th March 2005 at 8:45AM.

I am thinking of not to do medicals for her. In my interview they didn't even ask for the medicals at all. What ever money i did spent on medicals during my interview is waste.

Ironklad and perico update the status of your interviews in the forum.

Thanks for some people thanked me to get GC approval. :D

Wonderfulboy,

You could have saved me some $$$ by sharing the info on medicals sometime back. :) May be you did..

Anyways, I got the medicals done yesterday. If they ask for it or no, I don't care. If thier system doesn't know what to ask for and what they need during the interview, we are not to be blamed for. Yes, its upsets us when $$$ flow down the drain for no reason.

i GOT THE PASSPORT STAMPED, i got there at 8.45am my interview was set to 9.15 am i got called at around 10.10 by this very nice african american lady, she took us to her cubicule and there she saw there were 4 of us....my wife + 2 kids,,,she said she only had two file my wife's and mine's .......I explained that we only received 2 interview letters ....she said that we go ahead today on those 2 files and that my kids would receive approval letter by mail......but i said that we were concurently filed and that those files should be together, she went out and later returned with them......, she opened my wife's file first and then started asking " have you been arrested....are you a terrorist...and those questions.....she then closed her file......i had organized the copies of everithing....bith cert.....new medicals....new pictures,,,...passport copy, etc.....i gave the whole package to her and she said that was very thoughtful and organized, she closed my wife's file and the she opened mine, and again before she started asking i gave my copies to her, she only asked for employment letter and taxes, no other questions, she glanced and the papers and put them in the file, later with my sons she did not look, at all she only asked the same questions,,,,....have you been arrested? terrorist? .....and she said she can not stamp passport cause my son who was 14 at the time of initial file, is now 15 , she asked about him getting finger printed, we said yes....he was...and she said that cause he was 14 at time of filing no name check was requested, but i said if possible can ask today, she said no, and i insisted and told her i can wait for as long as it takes...she said fine and we went to get the finget print and signature on the I 551 card form, we waiteed for about 1 hour she came out and asked for the passport and EAD , I gave her all, she returned my older son, cause the name check was not ready, she said she would try it asap, and will send a letter of approval, for him.....she then came back with 3 passports stamped and that was it.....
I thank you all for your effort and help.

this web site has really been helpful.......good luck to all the one's that are still waiting, and guys dont woorry about interview, its just a mere formality,,,,...the actual interview took about 15 mins...............

Please advise me about the procedure for my son to get name chek cleared?

Perico said:
i GOT THE PASSPORT STAMPED, i got there at 8.45am my interview was set to 9.15 am i got called at around 10.10 by this very nice african american lady, she took us to her cubicule and there she saw there were 4 of us....my wife + 2 kids,,,she said she only had two file my wife's and mine's .......I explained that we only received 2 interview letters ....she said that we go ahead today on those 2 files and that my kids would receive approval letter by mail......but i said that we were concurently filed and that those files should be together, she went out and later returned with them......, she opened my wife's file first and then started asking " have you been arrested....are you a terrorist...and those questions.....she then closed her file......i had organized the copies of everithing....bith cert.....new medicals....new pictures,,,...passport copy, etc.....i gave the whole package to her and she said that was very thoughtful and organized, she closed my wife's file and the she opened mine, and again before she started asking i gave my copies to her, she only asked for employment letter and taxes, no other questions, she glanced and the papers and put them in the file, later with my sons she did not look, at all she only asked the same questions,,,,....have you been arrested? terrorist? .....and she said she can not stamp passport cause my son who was 14 at the time of initial file, is now 15 , she asked about him getting finger printed, we said yes....he was...and she said that cause he was 14 at time of filing no name check was requested, but i said if possible can ask today, she said no, and i insisted and told her i can wait for as long as it takes...she said fine and we went to get the finget print and signature on the I 551 card form, we waiteed for about 1 hour she came out and asked for the passport and EAD , I gave her all, she returned my older son, cause the name check was not ready, she said she would try it asap, and will send a letter of approval, for him.....she then came back with 3 passports stamped and that was it.....
I thank you all for your effort and help.

this web site has really been helpful.......good luck to all the one's that are still waiting, and guys dont woorry about interview, its just a mere formality,,,,...the actual interview took about 15 mins...............

Please advise me about the procedure for my son to get name chek cleared?

That was pretty sweet. Done in 15 mins..vow . Congratulations to you and your family on the biggest achievement for 2005

I didn't get interview letter for my wife so probably I will have to explain the officer the same way you did for your kids.

Hopefully they will approve your kid's application very soon.

By the way the medicals you did went down the drain right?

Anyways, all the best for your future

Approved

My family and I got approved today and got our passports stamped. We reached there abt 12 and were called in by an African American Lady at 1:00 PM. First she got the signatures and finger prints for me and my wife and then she took us to her office. She started with my file first. She asked me to take out the passport & an identification and then she started asking questions like "ever arrested , ever deported etc ". After that she started asking for papers like Income Tax , Employment letter etc. H1BLayoff , my plan of handing over the file to the office did not work. But my file organization helped me to pull out the papers and hand over easily. Then she started the same procedure for my wife. After that she asked me questions about my son because he is 2 young to be interviewed. (he is 8). It was basically all a formality to collect the documents. In the end she asked for all the EAD for me and my wife and then stamped the passports. She said that we shd be able to get the cards in 3-6 months.

I had taken fresh medicals and photographs but she never asked for em - what a waste. I did not want to take any chances - so no regrets.

Good luck to all who are preparing/waiting for the interview .

Let me know if anybody has any questions and I will be more than happy to answer.

H1Blayoff said:
That was pretty sweet. Done in 15 mins..vow . Congratulations to you and your family on the biggest achievement for 2005

I didn't get interview letter for my wife so probably I will have to explain the officer the same way you did for your kids.

Hopefully they will approve your kid's application very soon.

By the way the medicals you did went down the drain right?

Anyways, all the best for your future

that's right she never asked for medical, take the transfer notice for your wife if you do not receive interview letter for her. any questions let me know,
ah and a piece of advice, when going to the interview put nice formal clothes on, look your best.

Perico said:
that's right she never asked for medical, take the transfer notice for your wife if you do not receive interview letter for her. any questions let me know,
ah and a piece of advice, when going to the interview put nice formal clothes on, look your best.

Did you'r interview letter ask for the medical?

Congratulations Guys!!!

Congratulations Guys, For those who received the interview letters and also to those who got their passports stamped.

Wish you all great luck ahead in life.

Perico said:

Thanks Perico. I would take the transfer notice. Hopefully they shouldn't create an issue. I would take your advice and put on formal clothes too.

Hope you celebrated the acheivement. If not, do so..soon

My wife got interview letter but not for me

Hey Guys , Please suggest me..

Yesterday, my wife got a interview letter with interview date for 3/9/05.
And it has been fwded from old address.I did change the address at VSC and filed AR-11 when my appliaction was at VSC.it has dated 2/16/05 and posted on 2/18/05.and they asked for all 3 years w-2 and all those for my wife.
though my wife is working for 3 years , she is not a primary applicant on this case.and they asked all other information which they are asking generally.
And i have not received anything so far, and more funny my attorney has not received for both.
Guys, do you suggest what do you want me do,even i do not have time betwwen today and interview date.

Thanks for yoru valuable suggestions..

Last edited by a moderator:
save_intvu said:
Hey Guys , Please suggest me..

Yesterday, my wife got a interview letter with interview date for 3/9/05.
And it has been fwded from old address.I did change the address at VSC and filed AR-11 when my appliaction was at VSC.it has dated 2/16/05 and posted on 2/18/05.and they asked for all 3 years w-2 and all those for my wife.
though my wife is working for 3 years , she is not a primary applicant on this case.and they asked all other information which they are asking generally.
And i have not received anything so far, and more funny my attorney has not received for both.
Guys, do you suggest what do you want me do,even i do not have time betwwen today and interview date.

Thanks for yoru valuable suggestions..

In my case, the interview letter didn't go to my attorney, either. My attorney said sometimes they send it to attorney's office, sometimes, they don't.

There is a possibility that your mail was lost somewhere. In this case, probably, you could go with her with your transfer letter and explain the situation. If you choose to go with your wife, you may want to go early since your time may be 30 min earlier than your wife. In my case, my wife's and my times are 30 min apart.

Thanks

Thanks a lot,they give us, 8:15AM for my wife. do you think will it before that for me.I beleive they open at 8:00AM
Any way i will try to be there much before.

Thanks again...

quick_and_fast said:
In my case, the interview letter didn't go to my attorney, either. My attorney said sometimes they send it to attorney's office, sometimes, they don't.

There is a possibility that your mail was lost somewhere. In this case, probably, you could go with her with your transfer letter and explain the situation. If you choose to go with your wife, you may want to go early since your time may be 30 min earlier than your wife. In my case, my wife's and my times are 30 min apart.

Dude12 said:
Congratulations Guys, For those who received the interview letters and also to those who got their passports stamped.

Wish you all great luck ahead in life.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! same to you

H1Blayoff said:
Thanks Perico. I would take the transfer notice. Hopefully they shouldn't create an issue. I would take your advice and put on formal clothes too.

Hope you celebrated the acheivement. If not, do so..soon

Already have.....it felt funny at first...i could not believe it....it was so simple.........the interview i mean,,,....makes me wonder why do they make you wait so long and have alla the hustle of interview????

Hi Friends,

I got my Plastic Card in mail yesterday. They issued it to me till 2015. No hassles till next 10 years :D .

After 4 years 9 months we can free before we apply for Naturalization. We never know what kind of rules can change between now and then.

Going for Wife's interview on 16th March. Hope will get her passport stampled :cool: .

Great news from March1st, Perico, ironklad. Congratulations friends.

H1BLayOff and Save_intvu you guys will pass through this phase.

As Perico mentioned it looks very ridiculous to me why do they ask us to wait 2 + years alone for 485. It took 3 yrs and 9 months for my whole GC journey.

All the best for the people in this forum. This forum is definitely a knowledgable resource for people who are new to local transfer process.

Did hear the golden words..

Hey guys,

I am late to share my experience but believe me, thats not my fault. I was scheduled for 9:45 but by the time they called us in it was 12:00 pm. It was very frustrating though. First the officer took my fingerprints and then lead us to his room. Asked for my EAD, passport & drivers license. While he was going thru my file I told the officer that my wife is also here but she didn't get her interview letter. His supervisor came in and said that they couldn't locate her file and the officer is not prepped to handle her case. Either she can wait here and keep mum or she can wait out. My wife headed out. The officer started asking questions about the biographic information(birth date., parent's names etc) and then asked for tax returns. Finally checked on my employment letter, went to his supervisor and got the visa number. Said he is going to approve this case and stamped my passport.

Thats all guys.. I am happy but at the same time unhappy too because my wife's case is still pending. The good part here is that the officer took her photos and fingerprints and said that she should get the interview letter soon. How soon we don't know.

What do you guys suggest me to do for my wife's case. I would contact Emily Evans at Sen. George Allen's office. Anything else I need to do in order to get approval?

Thanks for the advice and suggestions from this thread. Its been a long wait but worth waiting for the approval. I will be visiting this forum regularly so keep in touch.

-Bye