Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Traffic Tickets and N-400 interview

Folks,
When you receive the Interview notice, along with it there is an information leaflet. It clearly
mentions that, for tickets not exceeding $500 or not resulting in an arrest, there is NO need for
further documentation. Basically, Question 16 on N400 applies to cases only when your fine was
more than $500 or resulted in an arrest or you have unpaid fines.

I received a ticket in 2004 (Santa Clara county, California) and will answer "yes" to question 16 on the N400 with the detail "cited for speeding", approx date & "attended traffic school".

I don't remember the exact date I got the ticket (I know the week). I do not have any record of my ticket or traffic school certificate.

My DMV record doesn't show anything. The superior court of California reported "Our records do not reflect any complaint(s) filed in Santa Clara county.."

Any suggestions on how to handle this situation?

Guys, I got caught entering the subway through the exit door (without paying) by a cop in NYC and I was given a ticket. I paid the $100 fine. Very stupid thing to do and I really regret it.

I will of course disclose this in my N400. Do you think this will be a problem at my citizenship interview? This is the only thing on my record -- I don't even have a traffic ticket beside this.

i'm going to submit n400 next week and i will say no to question 16 arrested,cited question, but i will mention to IO. I have certified DMV record in case I'm asked. Do I need other documents if asked for outcome? And how do I get that document?

Guys, I got caught entering the subway through the exit door (without paying) by a cop in NYC and I was given a ticket. I paid the $100 fine. Very stupid thing to do and I really regret it.

I will of course disclose this in my N400. Do you think this will be a problem at my citizenship interview? This is the only thing on my record -- I don't even have a traffic ticket beside this.

This should not be a problem. Just have proof of payment of the ticket. So, go ahead and disclose it.

i'm going to submit n400 next week and i will say no to question 16 arrested,cited question, but i will mention to IO. I have certified DMV record in case I'm asked. Do I need other documents if asked for outcome? And how do I get that document?

If you were ever arrested for traffic offense (and otherwise), get the disposition records by contacting the clerk of the court.

I have a question related to citations. I received a citation to appear in court due to a forclosure. We hope to get through and keep the house. However, do I need to bring/disclose this citation during the naturalization interview?

I backed out of the parking lot into a static car and was charged with misdemeanor. I went to the court and was asked to pay the fine which I did. This happened in Jul 2004. I do not have the records with me unfortunately. So What do I answer for Q16 and how do I get the documentation?

I backed out of the parking lot into a static car and was charged with misdemeanor. I went to the court and was asked to pay the fine which I did. This happened in Jul 2004. I do not have the records with me unfortunately. So What do I answer for Q16 and how do I get the documentation?

Contact the local county district/circuit court where you got the ticket and ask for court certified dispositions. Some courts charge a very nominal fee and some places its free.

I strongly suggest everyone who has traffic tickets to take court certified dispositions.....My IO asked about my tickets (FYI - I had mentioned them in N-400) and asked if I have ticket details/receipts/any dues etc......
She even checked what was the nature of my tickets and asked how much over the speed I drove.... As I said I don't remember exactly, she asked If I carry my tickets.

Contact the local county district/circuit court where you got the ticket and ask for court certified dispositions. Some courts charge a very nominal fee and some places its free.

I strongly suggest everyone who has traffic tickets to take court certified dispositions.....My IO asked about my tickets (FYI - I had mentioned them in N-400) and asked if I have ticket details/receipts/any dues etc......
She even checked what was the nature of my tickets and asked how much over the speed I drove.... As I said I don't remember exactly, she asked If I carry my tickets.

Thank you!! This was very helpful.

All,
I too have been agonizing over the vexing question of whether minor traffic violations (speeding tickets) require a "YES" to questions 15-18. M-476 implies that one should respond "YES". However, I came across the following document on the USCIS website which clear states on p60 that minor traffic violations DO NOT have to be disclosed. Has anyone else used this document as guidance?

Document: Permanent_Residents_Naturalization.pdf

I'm unable to post a URL since i have fewer than 15 posts. But go to the USCIS website and search for "traffic violations" in the top right box. This is the first result that comes up.

or try replacing the w3 below with the usual http : / / w w w syntax (remove spaces)

w3.uscis.gov/USCIS/About%20Us/Electronic%20Reading%20Room/Customer%20Service%20Reference%20Guide/Permanent_Residents_Naturalization.pdf

All,
I too have been agonizing over the vexing question of whether minor traffic violations (speeding tickets) require a "YES" to questions 15-18. M-476 implies that one should respond "YES". However, I came across the following document on the USCIS website which clear states on p60 that minor traffic violations DO NOT have to be disclosed. Has anyone else used this document as guidance?

Document: Permanent_Residents_Naturalization.pdf

I'm unable to post a URL since i have fewer than 15 posts. But go to the USCIS website and search for "traffic violations" in the top right box. This is the first result that comes up.

or try replacing the w3 below with the usual http : / / w w w syntax (remove spaces)

w3.uscis.gov/USCIS/About%20Us/Electronic%20Reading%20Room/Customer%20Service%20Reference%20Guide/Permanent_Residents_Naturalization.pdf

gemba,

I think that this document has just answered the age-old question that has probably been discussed on this forum more so than any other issue. Indeed, this is a priceless find. In my nearly three years on this forum, I have never seen anyone refer to or even mention this document.

Yes, I second Vorpal. I have never come across this document, had to write to the court, follow up with them to get the disposition copy. Wish I had seen this before I went through all the trouble. I am posting the URL.

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/About Us... Guide/Permanent_Residents_Naturalization.pdf

Hope this helps!

ssampy

one thing you should all understand.......

Do you think all USCIS IO's are familiar with this document/rule? The question is, What if the IO ask if we got any traffice tickets/court disposition document?
You can't tell him/her that they are not required as per this document. This will cause unneccessary delay.

Better be safe than sorry.

I too agree this is a very useful document but if possible get all the neccessary documentation before your Interview to avoid delay.

I know not many people would like my response....hey it's my 2 cents.

N 400 instruction

On page 5 of USCIS N-400 Instructions:

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do NOT need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driver's license"

hope this helps to clarify the issue

Modoshka

I think it is best to NOT mention speeding tickets on the form. I was extra safe and said "yes" to the question and then listed my two speeding tickets and it actually confused my interviewer when I said yes. Minor traffic violations for which you paid less than 500 does not need to be included.

On the other hand, for my peace of mind, I took in all court depositions as well as receipts of paid fines, etc. The interviewer never asked to see the documents and was totally uninterested in the citations.

I am a USC married to Permanent Resident applying for citizenship. We hired a lawyer but still want to hear other people's experience and/or opinion.

My better half has an unpaid ticket from NJ (we are not NJ license holder) for 432 (332 ticket + 100 fine). The original ticket was for 532. 200 was paid but the rest weren't. This happened in 2003. A warrant of arrest was issued by NJ and driving privileges in NJ revoked because of unpaid fines. No notice of warrant of arrest received nor actual arrest happened.

No criminal record.

Summary. Tickets/fine > 500 dollars. Didn't pay the whole amount resulting in warrant for arrest. No actual physical arrest happened.

Form N-14 Continuance (got this form after my interview)

Hi folks,

I received this form due to a traffic ticket I got few years ago. I attached my driving record to my N400 form but that wasnt enough, she said that I needed to have proof of payment which I thought the Driving record would show that my ticket was already taking care. Also had another ticket about using improper use of headphones after I sent my N400 and provided proof of payment for that. I already have the documentation from the court and I am ready to send it with the N14 form. I signed all the forms during the interview and also signed the papers where I am changing my name and she said that I just needed to send that info as soon as possible she said that after they received that info they would proceed with Oath letter.

Here is my situation where I cannot even sleep. My girlfriend went throuh a pile of papers we have at the attic and found other tickets that I didnt remember I had. One was speeding ticket and Illegal Tag display.

Should I submitted this documentation to the N14? and if I should, should I send an explanation letter with them? I just dont know how to proceed on this situation...
I was going to hire a lawyer but Ive been an unemployed for the last couple of months and can't afford it.
Any advice will be greatly appreciate it.

Hi folks,

I received this form due to a traffic ticket I got few years ago. I attached my driving record to my N400 form but that wasnt enough, she said that I needed to have proof of payment which I thought the Driving record would show that my ticket was already taking care. Also had another ticket about using improper use of headphones after I sent my N400 and provided proof of payment for that. I already have the documentation from the court and I am ready to send it with the N14 form. I signed all the forms during the interview and also signed the papers where I am changing my name and she said that I just needed to send that info as soon as possible she said that after they received that info they would proceed with Oath letter.

Here is my situation where I cannot even sleep. My girlfriend went throuh a pile of papers we have at the attic and found other tickets that I didnt remember I had. One was speeding ticket and Illegal Tag display.

Should I submitted this documentation to the N14? and if I should, should I send an explanation letter with them? I just dont know how to proceed on this situation...
I was going to hire a lawyer but Ive been an unemployed for the last couple of months and can't afford it.
Any advice will be greatly appreciate it.

The USCIS doesn't check driver records as part of the citizenship process. A recently found USCIS document clearly states that it is not necessary to disclose minor traffic violations under $500. In fact, had you not disclosed your ticket, you probably would have been a citizen by now. Whatever other tickets your girlfriend found in the attic, DO NOT disclose them. There is no need to hire a lawyer either. Just submit whatever you were asked to submit and forget about it.