Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Should I list 2 parking tickets and 1 towing ticket from my city?

Hi,

I'm filling out N-400 and please help me with this?
In the 6 years I've been in US I had:

- my car towed once due to street cleaning which resulted in $90 for the towing company and $25 ticket for the city
- two parking meter tickets

Should I really report these on N-400?
Should I get any documents for each city hall / court ?

Hi,

I'm filling out N-400 and please help me with this?
In the 6 years I've been in US I had:

- my car towed once due to street cleaning which resulted in $90 for the towing company and $25 ticket for the city
- two parking meter tickets

Should I really report these on N-400?
Should I get any documents for each city hall / court ?

bobikk:

No and no.

Hi,

Need help. Can someone please let me know what to do.

My wife had a traffic stop some 10 years ago in Oklahoma. She paid it with a cheque and she lost a copy of it now. She checked Yes in N400 form and she got an yellow cover requesting for details to be taken when she goes to interview.

She called Oklahoma County and Police department from where she got the ticket but they could not retrieve it.

What to do now in this situation. We do not have a proof of payment.

Thank you.

The letter you received is a standard letter that assumes that your wife has been arrested, since she answered "Yes" to the "Have you ever been arrested, detained, cited, etc..." question. When the question comes up at the interview, you wife should let the IO know that she answered "Yes" because of a minor traffic ticket she received ten years ago, of which no records exist. The USCIS doesn't care about minor traffic tickets, so the IO will most likely move on.

Hi,

Need help. Can someone please let me know what to do.

My wife had a traffic stop some 10 years ago in Oklahoma. She paid it with a cheque and she lost a copy of it now. She checked Yes in N400 form and she got an yellow cover requesting for details to be taken when she goes to interview.

She called Oklahoma County and Police department from where she got the ticket but they could not retrieve it.

What to do now in this situation. We do not have a proof of payment.

Thank you.

The letter you received is a standard letter that assumes that your wife has been arrested, since she answered "Yes" to the "Have you ever been arrested, detained, cited, etc..." question. When the question comes up at the interview, you wife should let the IO know that she answered "Yes" because of a minor traffic ticket she received ten years ago, of which no records exist. The USCIS doesn't care about minor traffic tickets, so the IO will most likely move on.

Thank you Vorpal.

N-400 Question 15, 17 and 18

Please help!!!!
I'm a new member and just getting ready to file for the next few weeks. However, I have some doubts on filling out N-400 form, especial on questions 15, 17 and 18.

I have been arrested for driving un-registered(expired plates) vehicle in District of Columbia, it's considered as misdemeanor, and was held for about half-hour until I paid bail of $50. Also, have gotten significant number of driving tickets for many reasons, except DUI/DWI.

Now, how should I answer these questions:
15-Have you "ever" committed a crime or offense of which you were not arrested? (I have been cited for driving a vehicle with plates of another of my cars) the officer notified me that could have been arrested for the same reason of the one I mentioned above, but officer decided not to so.)

16-Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense? (The action lead to my arrest is a misdemeanor=crime(?))
18- Have ever been convicted of a crime or offense? (I did not dispute the case and bond was forfeited for the case, is that a conviction of a crime?)

Please, I don't want make mistake on filling out the form, so Help!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

15 - Answer "NO". Traffic violations that didn't result in an arrest do not need to be disclosed if the fine was under $500. This question pertains more to committing a crime/offense and getting away with it.

16 - Answer "YES". You were arrested and charged with a misdemeanor.

18 - If you didn't dispute the case, did you plead "No Contest"? Also, what does it say on the court disposition?

Please help!!!!
I'm a new member and just getting ready to file for the next few weeks. However, I have some doubts on filling out N-400 form, especial on questions 15, 17 and 18.

I have been arrested for driving un-registered(expired plates) vehicle in District of Columbia, it's considered as misdemeanor, and was held for about half-hour until I paid bail of $50. Also, have gotten significant number of driving tickets for many reasons, except DUI/DWI.

Now, how should I answer these questions:
15-Have you "ever" committed a crime or offense of which you were not arrested? (I have been cited for driving a vehicle with plates of another of my cars) the officer notified me that could have been arrested for the same reason of the one I mentioned above, but officer decided not to so.)

16-Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense? (The action lead to my arrest is a misdemeanor=crime(?))
18- Have ever been convicted of a crime or offense? (I did not dispute the case and bond was forfeited for the case, is that a conviction of a crime?)

Please, I don't want make mistake on filling out the form, so Help!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

N-400 Question 15, 17 and 18

Thank you for your reply and great information, Vorpal.

I did not dispute the case neither I pleaded guilty to it. However, it reads like this in court notes which I pulled off on their website:

Case Status: Closed
2/00/00 Case disposed- Security Forfeited
2/00/00 Charge Disposed-Security Forfeited
2/00/00 $00 Traffic Cost docket Charge #1: Unregistered Vehicle Receip:00112233 Date:2/00/00

Note: Dates and other numbers are not realistic, but the all other information are.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

It seems that you pleaded "No Contest" to the charges. No Contest means that you didn't admit guilt, but didn't deny it either. For court purposes, this is an equivalent of a guilty plea. Your next step should be to contact the court and obtain a certified copy of the original disposition. It will state exactly what charge you have been convicted of.

Thank you for your reply and great information, Vorpal.

I did not dispute the case neither I pleaded guilty to it. However, it reads like this in court notes which I pulled off on their website:

Case Status: Closed
2/00/00 Case disposed- Security Forfeited
2/00/00 Charge Disposed-Security Forfeited
2/00/00 $00 Traffic Cost docket Charge #1: Unregistered Vehicle Receip:00112233 Date:2/00/00

Note: Dates and other numbers are not realistic, but the all other information are.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Thanks again, Dorpal.

So, in this case, my answer to Q18 should be "yes"?

Thank you.

Only if the outcome indicated on the court disposition is "convicted". If the case was dropped, dismissed, or you were found not guilty, then the answer would be "No".

I'll be heading to Court tomorrow and request more info about the case and will let you all know.

Thank you Durpal.

Hi Vorpal
I was reading nyc_newbie's case and not sure what happened to his appeal. Do you know if his appeal was considered favorably to him?
I also have 7 traffic citations in the past 10 years, 2 of them for speeding (the speeding ones were those I received in the past five years, rest of them 7 years or older). I am very concerned if it would have a negative impact on my case (showing a pattern). Honestly speaking, 3 of the older ones were just unfortunate incidents and I could have easily gotten them overturned had I appeared in the court, but couldn't do so as they were out of state.) I am wondering if these needs to be reported. Going by the recent document discovered on USCIS website, we don't have to but just worried. Also, if my N400 is denied, will I still be a valid permanent resident and continue to do so?

Hi Vorpal
I was reading nyc_newbie's case and not sure what happened to his appeal. Do you know if his appeal was considered favorably to him?
I also have 7 traffic citations in the past 10 years, 2 of them for speeding (the speeding ones were those I received in the past five years, rest of them 7 years or older). I am very concerned if it would have a negative impact on my case (showing a pattern). Honestly speaking, 3 of the older ones were just unfortunate incidents and I could have easily gotten them overturned had I appeared in the court, but couldn't do so as they were out of state.) I am wondering if these needs to be reported. Going by the recent document discovered on USCIS website, we don't have to but just worried. Also, if my N400 is denied, will I still be a valid permanent resident and continue to do so?

I have communicated with nyc_newbie extensively throughout his/her appeal process. Within 4 months of filing the appeal, the denial was overturned and he/she was granted citizenship.

According to the document that was posted here earlier, it is not necessary to disclose minor traffic violations that did not result in an arrest and where the fine was less than $500. Although this forum tends to generate a lot of paranoia with regards to parking tickets (can't really blame anyone for that - as immigrants, we tend to be more cautious when it comes to legal matters), traffic tickets are really not a big deal in the eyes of USCIS. In my personal experience, I didn't disclose any of my traffic tickets, but brought proof of payment to the interview, planning on presenting it only if the IO specifically asked me about traffic tickets. The IO only asked if I've ever been arrested, I truthfully answered "NO", and he proceeded with the rest of my application. As you can see, I've been a citizen for over 2 years.

In the event that your N-400 is denied, you will retain your LPR status, unless the denial was for an issue that would put your permanent residence in jeopardy.

For the benefit of the nervous

I succesfully completed my interview. When she asked me about being arrested etc, I replied "no...but I did get traffic tickets" she just waved it away and moved on. I had bare minimun docs with me - Passport, ID, GC, Interview letter - thats it. She was extremely pleasant and made me very comfortable.

I also saw the other thread where people have taken a binder full of docs which looks like an overkill. If your case is straightforward go with confidence - that will show that you have nothing to hide and your confidence will definitely make the officer feel you are a genuine person.

This has been my experience. Take it for what it is worth - and no flaming please.

5 months is a long time for the oath ceremony after paaasing the citizenship exam.

Traffic violations if it is a speeding/running a red light is not a big deal.You have go to the local senator/congressman with your case and try to speed up the oath ceremony.

I believe that the finger prints should pull up any misdemeanor/arrests and all that stuff.However you should have told the officer at the time of the interview about that speeding ticket as almost all in this country gets a speeding ticket . I myself have not met a single american who has not had a speeding ticket in the last 5 years (past 5 years).

But as the BCIS is so careless I by exp feel like to quote this' They are sometimes are lazy'.

I'd go to the BCIS in person and explain to them about your situation clearly. Then go after your local senator/congressman , fax them your case/situation and ask them to contact the BCIS about scheduling your oath.

5 months is a long time for the oath.2-3 months you should hear from them . Otherwise there is something wrong with the HANDLING of your case. It HAS to be rectified through the help of the local senator/congressman and personal trips to the BCIS as many times it takes.

So, is it wise for me to request my FBI background check on my own before I file my N400, so I can see what other stuff in my record that I do not recall?
I've gotten some tickets that I do not have record and don't even have the dates that I've got them. I was just wondering if a background check with FBI would bring in all my records.
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

@monacax:

That would be a waste of your time and FBI's resources. Traffic tickets are not reported to the FBI or, unless the offense is criminal in nature (i.e., DUI, hit and run, etc.), to your criminal record.

@monacax:

That would be a waste of your time and FBI's resources. Traffic tickets are not reported to the FBI or, unless the offense is criminal in nature (i.e., DUI, hit and run, etc.), to your criminal record.

I thank you Dorpal. I just thought all that info was also handed to the FBI. I definitely won't be doing that, and I was lucky today that 2 County courts where I've been cited the most was going to mail me the ticket information and the prove of payments.

Now, I was just wondering if should I also mention the tickets from which the Court found me NOT guilty? I say that because 1 county courts that I contacted mentioned having those tickets on their records for which I was not guilty. Are they real relevant as GUILTY ones?

I still need your help good people!!!!!

Thank you