Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Update:

Passed the interview. The traffic ticket turned out to be a non issue.

On the N400, our lawyer checked yes on the question about arrest. The Immigration Officer actually corrected and changed the answer to no. No question about it. Then the usual civics, reading comprehension and writing comprehension test. The toughest part of the interview was locating my husband's drivers license amongst the pile of documentation he brought with him.

I am a USC married to Permanent Resident applying for citizenship. We hired a lawyer but still want to hear other people's experience and/or opinion.

My better half has an unpaid ticket from NJ (we are not NJ license holder) for 432 (332 ticket + 100 fine). The original ticket was for 532. 200 was paid but the rest weren't. This happened in 2003. A warrant of arrest was issued by NJ and driving privileges in NJ revoked because of unpaid fines. No notice of warrant of arrest received nor actual arrest happened.

No criminal record.

Summary. Tickets/fine > 500 dollars. Didn't pay the whole amount resulting in warrant for arrest. No actual physical arrest happened.

I got 3 traffic tickets 5 years back all of them were minor and I paid fine for each them less than $120 each. I mentioned them on the N400 application and I got a letter(YL) saying that you indicated that you have been arrested (I was never arrested). Please bring originals or certified copies of the court dispositions showing how each incident was solved.

What should I do?

I already have copies of court dispositions since I requested them before applying for N400 so that I can use that info on N400.

Now is this enough or do I need certified copies of court dispositions? I should tell the IO that I have never been arrested and show him the court dispositions.

Any one Please clarify ?

I got 3 traffic tickets 5 years back all of them were minor and I paid fine for each them less than $120 each. I mentioned them on the N400 application and I got a letter(YL) saying that you indicated that you have been arrested (I was never arrested). Please bring originals or certified copies of the court dispositions showing how each incident was solved.

What should I do?

I already have copies of court dispositions since I requested them before applying for N400 so that I can use that info on N400.

Now is this enough or do I need certified copies of court dispositions? I should tell the IO that I have never been arrested and show him the court dispositions.

Any one Please clarify ?

I may be wrong, but from what I've learned herein is that you often get that (YL) notice even if you have not been arrested. Also, mind you that citation fall into the same question as "arrested" so, all you have to do is prove to IO that you have not been arrested.
I think the court disposition paper will help you to prove that.

Just hang on tight that experts in that matter may have better inputs than mine.

Good luck

I may be wrong, but from what I've learned herein is that you often get that (YL) notice even if you have not been arrested. Also, mind you that citation fall into the same question as "arrested" so, all you have to do is prove to IO that you have not been arrested.
I think the court disposition paper will help you to prove that.

Just hang on tight that experts in that matter may have better inputs than mine.

Good luck

Monacax is correct. If you answer "YES" to the question pertaining to arrests, citations, and detentions, the form used to generate the yellow letter will automatically assume that you've been arrested. Just let the IO know that you've only had traffic tickets and have never been arrested.

Yellow Notice

Hello all,

I have noticed many talking about the Yellow Notice that they've received after submitting their N400 application from which they answered yes on Arrest and Citation. I was just wondering if you received that (YL Notice) before finger print appointment or either way. I have just received my fp notification and I did not receive any YL notification yet; although I answered affirmatively of being arrested/cited.. etc.

Is it possible not to receive such YL notification letter?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello all,

I have noticed many talking about the Yellow Notice that they've received after submitting their N400 application from which they answered yes on Arrest and Citation. I was just wondering if you received that (YL Notice) before finger print appointment or either way. I have just received my fp notification and I did not receive any YL notification yet; although I answered affirmatively of being arrested/cited.. etc.

Is it possible not to receive such YL notification letter?

Thank you in advance for your help.

A YL is usually sent after FP, once your application is placed in queue for interview.

I did not mention them on the N-400, and i did not mention them to the IO at the interview, and The IO did not ask about them.
and honestly i think if you answer "YES" to question 16 because of speeding ticket you create a delay in the process, because the IO or computer can't not know if it's speeding ticket or serious crime and you'll be asked to provide court disposition and it takes them more time to investigate the question, headache for no purpose.
NB: i am not a lawyer, this is my opinion and i have been through this, also check the statistics at the beginning of the thread...
good luck everybody.

Hi, please check this USCIS guide section explaining the TRAFFIC CITATION issue :

What kinds of things do I have to reveal in my application?

The most important thing is to be completely honest.
␣ Except for minor traffic offenses that did not result in your arrest (and drunk driving is not considered a minor traffic offense), you should always reveal any arrest, whether or not charged, and any conviction, and whether or not the conviction has been expunged, sealed or vacated.
␣ If you committed a crime but were not arrested for it, you must still reveal it. ␣ Even if you have committed what you believe to be a minor crime, you should reveal it on your application because USCIS may deny your
application if in it you do not tell us about an incident that is significant and material to your eligibility. ␣ You must reveal any arrests, offenses and convictions even if a lawyer, judge or other person has said that you have no record and do not have

to disclose the incidents.

If I have ever committed a crime, or been arrested or detained, what should I include with my application?
Except for simple traffic violations, (and drunk driving is not a simple traffic violation), you must include with your application:
␣ For each arrest in which no charges were filed, include an official statement from the arresting agency or the applicable court indicating that no charges were filed;
␣ For each charge, conviction, alternative sentencing or rehabilitative program placement, include: o An original or certified copy of the complete court disposition (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order), and o Evidence you have completed every sentence (such as an original or certified copy of a probation record, parole record, or evidence you completed the alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program).
␣ If you are not sure whether an incident was an arrest, charge or conviction, attach any police or court records relating to the incident along with your complete explanation, and
␣ If you have ever committed a crime but not been arrested for it, file your application with a complete explanation and any relevant documents. Note: A certified court disposition may be obtained from the clerk of the court where the hearing was held. If unable to obtain court records, applicants
should request a “statement of unavailability” from the court and obtain police records.

What if my arrest or conviction was vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or was otherwise removed from my record?
You must still reveal this in your application, and for each instance include an original or certified copy of the court order. Note: A certified court disposition may be obtained from the clerk of the court where the hearing was held. If unable to obtain court records, applicants should request a “statement of unavailability” from the court and obtain police records.

Go to this website uscis. gov /portal /site /uscis start address with www and leave no space between words.
GO ABOUT US/ Electronic Reading Room on the left side of the page/ Customer Service Guide/ Benefits for Permanent Residents and Naturalization
GO TO PAGE 60.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed my interview in early January, but was issued a N-14 form to show proof that I paid a minor speeding ticket. I sent it in with USPS back to the Fairfax office, but checked the tracking on the USPS website and it was sent to Wash DC. I was worried it was sent to the wrong place so I sent it with UPS Next day shipping and this time it was sent to a different zip code again. Does anyone know if this is correct, that maybe the mail gets forwarded somewhere else?

Also how long does it take to process the N-14 for me to be finalized and go through the oath ceremony? Any advice/info would be great! Thank you

What should I do?

Any one Please clarify ?

Certified copy of court dispositions is enough. The IO will specifically ask you if you were arrested and finger printed during the arrest.

Traffic tickets afterfiling N400

I got a ticket after filing the N400. Since I am only 3 weeks away from my interview, and the final disposition at the traffic court is pending, should I mention it to the interview officer.

I think have made some mistakes on my N400 app. I mentioned all tickets I have gotten here and it happen that I did not mention that I have already been arrested overseas. Ok, here the problem, my application is based on political asylum and back in my home country I was arrested twice and I forgot to mention that on my N400, should I be worried about it, or just let the IO know that I made a mistake on my N400?

Please, help I have the interview set up for next month. I already got the YP a couple days ago.

Thank you in advance

I got few traffic ticket 6 in totals. 3 are in DMV records. 1 is already removed and rest 1, I went to traffic school. Those tickets are for different reason but all are moving violation such as speeding, stopping and cell phone. I took care all the tickets by appearing at the court, paid fines and traffic school. Those ticket are not DUI or reckless, all fines are less then $500. I mentioned about those on my N-400 application. My interview is coming following week. how much I have to be worried? One stopping violation ticket is still pending on court, due date is on May. I have correspondence letter from court.
your advise, suggestion would greatly appreciated.

thanks

I think have made some mistakes on my N400 app. I mentioned all tickets I have gotten here and it happen that I did not mention that I have already been arrested overseas. Ok, here the problem, my application is based on political asylum and back in my home country I was arrested twice and I forgot to mention that on my N400, should I be worried about it, or just let the IO know that I made a mistake on my N400?

Please, help I have the interview set up for next month. I already got the YP a couple days ago.

Thank you in advance

I think may have done some further readings before making the post above, just went over the application and instruction form and found no indication that I needed to mention my arrests that occurred outside country. I think should not worry about that issue at all, right?
Has anyone herein have disclosed an arrest that took place outside of US?

Thanks in advance to any further info about my worries.

Hi All,

I got my Re-Interview done today. I submitted the requested documents(Citations , Joint Bank Statements, Health Insurance Documents) and was told that I was recommended for approval and will need a supervisor review to approve. It would take about four months to recieve a response. Kindly let me know what to expect now. Your inputs will be very much appreciated.

N400
07/23/2010 Application sent to Lewisville TX
07/26/2010 Fedex Delivered
07/30/2010 G1145 Confirmation Notice via email and SMS
08/24/2010 FP Done.
02/09/2011 : Interview Date
04/04/2011 : Re-Interview (Documents completed)
xx/xx/2011 Oath Date
xx/xx/2011 : Passport Received

You have to answer YES regarding tickets. here is my question. In the past 12+ years that I have been living in the USA I have only gotten 2 tickets. and both have actually been within the last 6 years. So those are easy to pinpoint and date I was cited. They were both also under $500. One might have been points due to the location. But it is now also off my record so I have no points against me.

Anyhow. Those two I can mention but need nothing in the way of documentation correct because they were both under $500?

My issue or problem is the tickets prior to ever moving to the USA. I got a couple as a teenager, can't remember exactly when, or exactly where they would have been. But again all of them were under $500 and have all been paid and so forth. I have my Green Card and had a complete background check done from the RCMP when I applied and nothing was on that record. And nothing came up on the FBI fingerprints either.

Do I just mention on a seperate piece of paper that I had a few speeding tickets as a teenager and can't recall the dates? Or am I going to have issues because I don't recall the jursidiction? and exact dates?

My interview was done on 12/1/2010 and I got a traffic ticket in January that is pending hearing for June 2011. It's been over 120 days, would that pending hearing have anything to do with the approval of oath letter?. I was thinking about just paying and pleading guilty instead.