Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Well, the thing about my tickets (especially parking!) is that I don't think I have copies of all of them. And, I've got tickets in different places, including Toronto, Amsterdam and Hamburg, in addition to those in California. I guess the DMV in California can give me a history of my citations? I'm not sure about the foreign tickets, though.

If you went to court they probably will want to know about it. Get the court records of the dismissal and bring them to the interview to show if necessary.

Thanks very much for all the responses.

We already have a notarized copy of the court record which states that the ticket was dismissed and she was declared not guilty. So if the question comes up regarding any tickets or citations she will declare it and produce the court record.

Well, the thing about my tickets (especially parking!) is that I don't think I have copies of all of them. And, I've got tickets in different places, including Toronto, Amsterdam and Hamburg, in addition to those in California. I guess the DMV in California can give me a history of my citations? I'm not sure about the foreign tickets, though.

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about parking tickets unless you were a serial offender with multiple boots and tows on your record. I also wouldn't waste too much time worrying about foreign parking tickets either. But if you received speeding tickets, you could answer Yes on Questions 16 and 17 of Part 10, Section D, and then offer the IO proof of payment, dismissal, or whatever else to demonstrate settlement of the citations.

As I have described elsewhere on this forum, I had a recent speeding ticket (no drugs, no alcohol and <$500) and I said No on both 16 and 17. But when the IO asked, I told her about it, and she said that since there were no drugs or alcohol involved, I was good and she moved on.

She pleaded not guilty..charges were dismissed..it's a non issue. If you already have certified docket, then bring it to interview as evidence. You can bring it up with IO at interview to clear your conscious.

Thanks everyone for your valuable responses. I will be disclosing about the tickets only if the IO asks about it (kudos to sareebal) or in a situation sri69 mentioned. Meantime I am collecting as much information as possible. I will update you guys once I am done with the interview. I hope everything will go smooth. Please wish me good luck.

Thanks again!

Traffic Tickets

I have 2 traffic tickets for speeding and wrong turn.(but I only remember the approx dates. I don't have the tickets and only remember vague details of the tickets)

I did not challenge them and paid the fine.

Should this info be written under section D(Good Moral character)?
They ask for actual dates. If i dont remember, what do I do?

Please advise.

Thanks

I have 2 traffic tickets for speeding and wrong turn.(but I only remember the approx dates. I don't have the tickets and only remember vague details of the tickets)

Please advise.

Thanks

Just give estimates and indicate

Please advise.

Thanks

and do you rmememeber where you got the ticket? If so you can
find out which police department issued the ticket and then
that police department can tell you which court handle the ticket
and then you can go to that court who in turn can search by your birth date etc.

Of course this is only praticval if you get your ticket locally. You don't
want to fly from NYC to california to do this

Someone expeirnced that a dismissied ticket is more serious than a pead guity by mail ticket because you went to the corut and USCIS consider going to court a serious matter so court disposition documents are needed

Someone expeirnced that a dismissied ticket is more serious than a pead guity by mail ticket because you went to the corut and USCIS consider going to court a serious matter so court disposition documents are needed

I can see that being the case when a guilty plea is entered in court, but in OPs case not guilty was entered, and case was dismissed. This is different from pleading guilty, being placed on probation and charges then dismissed. What counts for conviction under immigration law is initial plea in court.

I can see that being the case when a guilty plea is entered in court, but in OPs case not guilty was entered, and case was dismissed. This is different from pleading guilty, being placed on probation and charges then dismissed. What counts for conviction under immigration law is initial plea in court.

My original point is that many posters told expperience if you tell IO you went to court, IOs ask for court dispositions but if you told them you paid teh fine but did not go to court you do not need to present any docs. It has nothing to do with whether final dispostion is. Since most states do not allow
trial by declaration, one can only get charge dismissed by going to court in person. So one may need to provide court documents

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks NewRunner - the ppt was very helpful. Do you still think my public urination citation should be disclosed on the application? Fine paid was 225 USD.

Thanks NewRunner - the ppt was very helpful. Do you still think my public urination citation should be disclosed on the application? Fine paid was 225 USD.

Hi wong561hb - I responded via PM, but in general, I think you have the options of:

1) responding Yes to Question 16, Part 10, Section D and then providing the explanation and proof of payment, or

2) you can respond No and then ask the IO if you need to amend that response based on this citation when he/she gets to that part of the N-400. I did this in the case of a speeding ticket citation, and after the IO heard the explanation, she moved on.

If the IO thinks it is an issue he/she may ask for details and the proof of payment or if they think it is immaterial, they may just move on.

I have seen two different approaches to this question on this forum, and I also have my own personal interview experience. In general I think both approaches work. Here is the cut and paste from Page 25 of A Guide to Naturalization which addresses the documentation requirements for a "traffic incident" that did not involve alcohol or drugs and that had a fine of less than $500.

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license."

Based on this, I answered No to question 16 in Part 10, Section D of the N-400. At my interview, when my IO asked me these questions again, I said to her, "I recently had a speeding ticket, and I know a speeding ticket is technically considered a "citation", should I amend my response to the questions on the form?". The IO asked me if drugs or alcohol were involved and whether my fine was $500 or more. I said no, and she said there was no need to change anything and she moved on.

I have seen people on this forum indicate that they answered Yes to 16 and who also brought evidence of paid tickets and their IOs reviewed them and the interview moved on.

Personally, I think either approach works, but I would really look at the interview experiences of people being interviewed at your DO - the discretion of individual IOs, and the "SOPs" in any given DO, seem to vary for different aspects of the N-400.

what you suggest me guys.
i got speeding ticket in washington state.hired an attorney who contested and got case dismissed.
now neither court nor my attorney or state patrol has no records for me cuz its over three year old.all i have a letter from the attorney she send me congratuing me after case dismissed.
and i have mensioned this ticket on my application.
another one i just got speeding ticket one week before mailing my application.and my lawer didnt mention it on the application.and now i plan not to take my lawer with me at the time of interview.what should i explain to officer.?
i hired another lawer who will contest my ticket in the court trial in coming days.