Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Bob,
Does a Reckless driving (normal speeding 20+ on 55 zone) conviction (traffic misdemeanor) has any effect on N-400application ?

N-400 interview & citations.. pls help

My interview is coming up and is getting paranoid about the citations. I didnt disclose about any of the citations (all speeding tickets), as advised by one of my friends. I ticked "NO" under citations.

Now the question is .. do I have to disclose about it during the interview? I already got the DMV report which shows two citations in last seven years. Unfortunately I do not have any proof for the payments.

How far do we have to go back... As I had received several speeding tickets about 7 years ago in a different state. I had requested the driver report but is taking a while as they have purged the data and have to get the microfilms loaded. I hope to get the information before my interview.

Please advise.

Thanks a bunch!

Ajith

I'm not necessarily any more qualified than your friend, but I disagree with their recommendation.

If it was my call, I'd bring a correction sheet to the interview, answer 'yes' and list the details. Bring the supporting documentation to the interview. One of the questions that you are likely to be asked in the interview is something like, "Have you ever lied or falsified information to a USCIS official?" If you can't pass the red faced test if asked that question, then it will be downhill from there.

Some speeding tickets shouldn't hold you back from naturalization, but not disclosing accurate information is not as likely to sit well with the IO (in the rare event that they have records of the tickets). I'd be more worried about the body language during the interview if you are asked a question and need to look away or get 2nd thoughts about how to answer.

Be open and honest, correct the application in the interview. Best of luck on the journey.

I'm not necessarily any more qualified than your friend, but I disagree with their recommendation.

If it was my call, I'd bring a correction sheet to the interview, answer 'yes' and list the details. Bring the supporting documentation to the interview. One of the questions that you are likely to be asked in the interview is something like, "Have you ever lied or falsified information to a USCIS official?" If you can't pass the red faced test if asked that question, then it will be downhill from there.

Some speeding tickets shouldn't hold you back from naturalization, but not disclosing accurate information is not as likely to sit well with the IO (in the rare event that they have records of the tickets). I'd be more worried about the body language during the interview if you are asked a question and need to look away or get 2nd thoughts about how to answer.

Be open and honest, correct the application in the interview. Best of luck on the journey.

I couldn't agree more. If you can't be honest about something as irrelevant as a couple of speeding tickets and they happen to find out, you'll be in bigger trouble.

wrong!!!

Good advice, take all your citations in a separate sheet and explain that you did an honest mistake in the aplication.....

Good Luck

Help with N400 form - speeding ticket

Hi,

I got speeding ticket with NO points 7 years back. It was totally different state from where I stay now. Do I need to specify that in N400 form if yes, where should I specify (is it under "Good Moral Character").

Thanks

Hi,

I got speeding ticket with NO points 7 years back. It was totally different state from where I stay now. Do I need to specify that in N400 form if yes, where should I specify (is it under "Good Moral Character").

Thanks

I have seen two different approaches to this question on this forum, and I also have my own personal interview experience. In general I think both approaches work. Here is the cut and paste from Page 25 of A Guide to Naturalization which addresses the documentation requirements for a "traffic incident" that did not involve alcohol or drugs and that had a fine of less than $500.

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license."

Based on this, I answered No to questions 16 and 17 in Part 10, Section D of the N-400. At my interview, when my IO asked me these questions again, I said to her, "I recently had a speeding ticket, and I know a speeding ticket is technically considered a "citation", should I amend my response to the questions on the form?". The IO asked me if drugs or alcohol were involved and whether my fine was $500 or more. I said no, and she said there was no need to change anything and she moved on.

I have seen people on this forum indicate that they answered Yes to 16 and 17 and who also brought evidence of paid tickets and their IOs reviewed them and the interview moved on.

Personally, I think either approach works, but I would really look at the interview experiences of people being interviewed at your DO - the discretion of individual IOs, and the "SOPs" in any given DO, seem to vary for different aspects of the N-400.

I just provided a response to a very similar question earlier at this link.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=2043498#post2043498

I have seen two different approaches to this question on this forum, and I also have my own personal interview experience. In general I think both approaches work. Here is the cut and paste from Page 25 of A Guide to Naturalization which addresses the documentation requirements for a "traffic incident" that did not involve alcohol or drugs and that had a fine of less than $500.

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license."

Based on this, I answered No to questions 16 and 17 in Part 10, Section D of the N-400. At my interview, when my IO asked me these questions again, I said to her, "I recently had a speeding ticket, and I know a speeding ticket is technically considered a "citation", should I amend my response to the questions on the form?". The IO asked me if drugs or alcohol were involved and whether my fine was $500 or more. I said no, and she said there was no need to change anything and she moved on.

I have seen people on this forum indicate that they answered Yes to 16 and 17 and who also brought evidence of paid tickets and their IOs reviewed them and the interview moved on.

Personally, I think either approach works, but I would really look at the interview experiences of people being interviewed at your DO - the discretion of individual IOs, and the "SOPs" in any given DO, seem to vary for different aspects of the N-400.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to an officer at Atlanta DO. He said one does not need to disclose minor traffic violations (tickets under $500, etc.)

Don't disclose them.
Don't ask, don't tell.
The instructions, which are poorly written, mean they care only about citations that led to arrests (DUI) or fines over $500 (typically reckless driving).
In case, and only in case the IO specifically asks if you ever got a traffic ticket then answer yes.
And get a driving record from the local DMV which shows that your license is valid. It would be suspended if you had any unpaid traffic ticket.

OK, Here is my story. I have 3 tickets last 3 years which I disclosed in my app and I got CFR letter asking about my arrest (though I was not arrested, it is kinda generic letter) - I went to court house to get notarized payments, went to my local police station to get my last 10 years criminal history and got my DMV report for the past 7 years. But during my interview the IO just enquired my tickets but did not look any documents that I brought - You know what? I was never nervous in my interview because I had everything to show them. SO, my friend get the docs. whatever you can get and honestly let them know if you can't get them whatever reason.

Good luck,

Why-R

OK, Here is my story. I have 3 tickets last 3 years which I disclosed in my app and I got CFR letter asking about my arrest (though I was not arrested, it is kinda generic letter) - I went to court house to get notarized payments, went to my local police station to get my last 10 years criminal history and got my DMV report for the past 7 years. But during my interview the IO just enquired my tickets but did not look any documents that I brought - You know what? I was never nervous in my interview because I had everything to show them. SO, my friend get the docs. whatever you can get and honestly let them know if you can't get them whatever reason.

Good luck,

Why-R

Lucky you that you had so much time to hop from court to court to ask all that paperwork.
I get out of the office after 9 and I use my (few) vacation days to go to vacation, not to court to ask documents that would not be required if we just checked the "no" box.

okay so let me understand this - would I need to disclose a public urination citation for $225 dollars or would that fall under the <$500 category even if it isn't technically a traffic violation?

Should dismissed traffic ticket be included?

In Feb 2006 my wife supposedly ran a red light and was pulled over by a police officer. She was given a ticket, which she contested. She went to court, and the judge dismissed the ticket after hearing both sides.

We sent in our N400 applications in February 2009, but at that time I did not think that we should include this ticket on her application, as it was dismissed by the court. Now after going thorugh all the various discussions on this forum I am not sure if we should have declared it.

Last week my wife went to the court and obtained a notarized copy of the "docket" of the case which clearly states that she was declared "not guilty" and the ticket was dismissed.

Our interview is now coming up on 27 May.

My question to the forum is: should my wife bring this up voluntarily at the interview and have the N400 updated? Or would she be shooting herself in the foot by doing so? Obviously she will be carrying with her the notarized copy of the court docket. If she voluntarily brings this up would her interview get a "descision pending" or something similar?

We want to follow the law to the letter but do not want to unnecesarily confuse the IO and jeopardize the interview if this ticket is immaterial as it was dismissed.

it is my recommendation that your wife keep this to herself. If asked, she can provide the notarized copy she will be carrying as proof.

The information above relating to the <$500 fine is specific to traffic tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have traffic tickets and i declared about them in the app. IO asked me specifically "have you gone to court for any of the traffic tickets"? I said YES. And then IO asked to to produce the document.

My choice in such situations would be to say yes, if the IO asks specifically "have you ever gone to court?". If any changes have to be made in the application IO would do there. In my case i have errors in wife first/last names and my traffic ticket (location) details are wrong and the IO has edited my application right there with correct info.

Thanks NewRunner. I am shocked to hear that urinating in public can be considered a crime against moral turpitude......I think many of us the world over would be guilty of this offense. However, this incident took place in 2002so I am confident it won't be an issue.

Since there was no court hearing and I paid the fine by mail what do you suggest I send as proof? I have a copy of the citation, a screen shot from the computer at the Administrative Courts in Chicago showing payment has been made and that's about it. I asked them about a certified court copy showing the court's disposition but she told me that wasn't possible because it was an ordinance violation and I didn't go to court so there are no specific court records.

Thanks in advance!

...Since there was no court hearing and I paid the fine by mail what do you suggest I send as proof? I have a copy of the citation, a screen shot from the computer at the Administrative Courts in Chicago showing payment has been made and that's about it...

This is probably a long shot, but could you could get an image of the cancelled check from your bank going back that far? In the end, you have what you have, and you appear to have made a good faith effort to get as much proof of payment as you can get. I think you should be good to go.