Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I decided to get my speeding ticket records just in case but having a really hard time locating my records.I guess I will go get my records at DMV and might be able to find the locations where I got my tickets.I know one of them was in FL,AL and GA.

If you received a ticket in FL, but hold a driver license in GA (hypothetically speaking), the ticket from FL will not appear on your DMV record. Also, only the state which issued you your driver license will have a DMV record for you.

This can actually make thing bad if the USCIS insist upon seeing the record
which you did not get in time and now it is impossible to get.

I doubt it. If it's a minor traffic violation, I highly doubt that a supervisor would deny the application for not providing proof of payment. They can delay approval, but that's about it.

So in case I can not get proof of payment for my tickets,should I still say that I had them if IO asks me?I didn't indicate them in my application,frankly speaking,I didn't even know I was supposed to indicate them,not that I was trying to hide them.They were minor anyways,everything under $200.
I guess the right way is to admit that I had tickets and if IO asks why I didn't indicate them,I can say that I didn't know I was supposed to and I am just being honest.
Any feedback is appreciated.

I am in the similar situation. It’s hard to keep track of them. To complicate the things I got the tickets in different states and at the time I was holding the license from different state. I even closed my previous account from which I paid my tickets. I contacted the bank and they said its hard to pull the records.

My question to you guys is I got those tickets way back in 2003 before I got my GC. Since it happened 5 years ago (out side the statutory period), does it matter now?

I am in the similar situation. It’s hard to keep track of them. To complicate the things I got the tickets in different states and at the time I was holding the license from different state. I even closed my previous account from which I paid my tickets. I contacted the bank and they said its hard to pull the records.

My question to you guys is, I got those tickets way back in 2003 before I got my GC. Since it happened 5 years ago (out side the statutory period), does it matter now?

I've got 3 moving violations in my 6.5-year driving career in the US. :D
One speeding ticket back in Jan 04 and one failed to stop at a stop sign and speeding ticket, both on Feb28 08. The 04 one obviously is espunged and I pleaded guilty to the stop sign one (and paid) and not guilty to Feb08 the speeding ticket.
I haven't got a court date since last year. I ordered my driving record and it just shows the "failed to stop at a stop sign" violation. License is valid.
Is there a statute of limitation? Are they going to forget my speeding ticket?
I'm 6 months away from my N-400 but I'm planning not to disclose them. Should they come up, very unlikely in my opinion, I think I will play dumb and show them how unclear the instructions are.
I mean, who has been in the US for 3-5-7 years and never got a moving violation?!?

You do not need to disclose your moving/traffic violations. Please stop agonizing about such minor matters.

You do not need to disclose your moving/traffic violations. Please stop agonizing about such minor matters.

Guideline (M-476) says "you do not need to submit documnetation".

Don't know if it also mean you don't need to disclose.

Vorpal,
when you say "that",what are you referring to?I don't remember where I got it,it must be some county in GA,GL and AL,unfortunately,I do not remember.What is the remedy to this?

You need to contact the traffic court of the county you got your ticket in.

Forget about the proof unless the IO specifically asks for it.

When the IO ask for it during the interview, it is too late for your to get it
because it can take a few weeks to get it from the court. Better get
it now in case. You don't have to send it with N-400 but
keep it at home and bring it to the interview.

If you really can not get it because the violation occurred so long time ago and the court destroyed teh record , then that is different story and you
just tell the IO you really can not get it and let them decide.. But now
you should make some efforts if not all-out efforts to get court documents.

I think a very recent driver's record from the local DMV should do.
Any unpaid traffic ticket leads to an automatic license suspension (at least in NYS), so a driver's record that shows a valid license means that you do not have any unpaid traffic ticket.

I think a very recent driver's record from the local DMV should do.
Any unpaid traffic ticket leads to an automatic license suspension (at least in NYS), so a driver's record that shows a valid license means that you do not have any unpaid traffic ticket.

If you order a driver record, the copy you get is not certified. Is that OK?

By the way, what is the certified document? Someone say it has to bear a raised seal. Soneome say if a clerk sign the authentification, then it is certified.

When the IO ask for it during the interview, it is too late for your to get it
because it can take a few weeks to get it from the court. Better get it now in case.
It can cost a lot of money and time running around to courts and government offices to get proof of tickets that have been purged out of the system years ago. Unless you cannot tolerate your case being delayed by a few weeks, it probably isn't worth it to spend that effort ahead of time trying to get the proof just for the 10% chance (or whatever) that the interviewer would want it. I personally am not going to try to proactively get proof of a ticket that I got in another state in 1999. If the interviewer demands it, I'll deal with it at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disclosures about traffic tickets

Folks,
I have been in the US for the last 18 years. I received my GC 5 years ago. During the GC application I mentioned about all my traffic tickets (3 or 4). Now I lost details of those tickets. I am planning to apply for my citizenship next month. During my GC years, I received only one ticket. Now my question is:
While filling N-400, do I have to disclose all the tickets for 18 years or just disclose the tickets during my GC time?
Thanks in advance,
Go-Cougars