Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Had 5 speeding tickets in past 25 years. None in past 12 years. I disclosed all 5 on my N400 application. I was questioned about them during interview and I confirmed that I had several, but none in past 12 years. She said no problem. Pass my interview (received approval). Oath in 10 days.

Traffic Ticket . Weird. - What to do?

:confused:
Folks, I received my yellow interview letter today. Two things were out of place.
1) I was asked to bring court records for my arrest. I was never arrested. But have received 4 traffic tickets :eek: :confusedin the last 11 years. I listed all of them under section 15 for citation. As per N400 rules on USCIS website. It states clearly not to get Traffic ticket records if the violation was not due to Alcohol or Drug plus the fine was less then $500. In my case the above applies. I am planning on calling USCIS tomorrow to let them know I was never arrested. I do not want to call 4 differnt courts to get traffic violation cleared notice. PLEASE ADVISE. :confused:

2)I was asked to bring a Birth Certificate. Translated copy if not in english. I have a birth certificate, but no translation.
Question: Can I translate the BC myself under oath and get it notarized. Will that suffice. :confused:

:confused:
Folks, I received my yellow interview letter today. Two things were out of place.
1) I was asked to bring court records for my arrest. I was never arrested. But have received 4 traffic tickets :eek: :confusedin the last 11 years. I listed all of them under section 15 for citation. As per N400 rules on USCIS website. It states clearly not to get Traffic ticket records if the violation was not due to Alcohol or Drug plus the fine was less then $500. In my case the above applies. I am planning on calling USCIS tomorrow to let them know I was never arrested. I do not want to call 4 differnt courts to get traffic violation cleared notice. PLEASE ADVISE. :confused:

2)I was asked to bring a Birth Certificate. Translated copy if not in english. I have a birth certificate, but no translation.
Question: Can I translate the BC myself under oath and get it notarized. Will that suffice. :confused:

This is indeed a wierd problem since arrests, citations and detentions are included in the same question in N-400. Get certified court disposition letters for each traffic violation - they are easy get, about 10 bucks each. You will need to provide evidence in the interview that all the tickets have been paid off.

Guys what abt the birth certificate. Can I translate that myself and get a notary to sign and attest it. I also have Birth Certificate issued by the indian consulate in English which was issued to me in 2001. Will that work.

1) I was asked to bring court records for my arrest.
That happened probably because you answered YES to the "Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained" question without attaching an explanation with sufficient wording to make it absolutely clear that you were not arrested.

Go to the interview and explain the situation and you should be OK.

Jackolantern, Thx for the advise. I am planning to do that, go without a copy of my traffic violations. Take a copy of the N400 page which says that I do not have to provide documentation for violations that are not alcohol and DUI related. If it doesnt work, I will then go seek the court documentation. Until then I will let it go.

I need to find more information on the Birth Certificate. I saw a bobsmyth post that it is okay for the petitioner to translate his/her BC provided that it has the legal lingo and is notarized. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bapa

Where are you located? Some immigration lawyers are able to translate and certify documents in their offices for their supported languages. Do a good google search and you should be able to get more info in your area.

Guys what abt the birth certificate. Can I translate that myself and get a notary to sign and attest it.
-----------------------If you have any friend who knows the language on the birth certificate and english then he/she can translate and sign before notary.
I also have Birth Certificate issued by the indian consulate in English which was issued to me in 2001. Will that work.
------------USCIS don’t accept Birth certificate from Indian consulate.

--------------------

Yes this is what people are facing. You are not required to put down traffic tickets if uner $500 and not a DUI. Now if you do, however, put it down about the arrest/citation, then you most likely will be required to show proof...

You can translate it yourself if you are fluent in both languages.

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/birth-certificate.html

Bob,
It says on that website :

If the birth certificate is not in English, it can either be translated by a professional translator or it can even
be translated by anyone who is fluent in both the languages (other than the beneficiary for whom it is
being prepared
).

... so i guess OP cannot translate their own certificate.

Can i have my wife translate the certificate. She can attach her high school diploma along with the translation. Both can be notarized. Please let me know if this works.

Guys, I am not going to taking the court records for my traffic violation. I plan on calling USCIS and will explain my self to the IO. Appreciate all the help.

best,
Bapa

Can i have my wife translate the certificate. She can attach her high school diploma along with the translation. Both can be notarized. Please let me know if this works.

Yes, if she's fluent in both languages and certifies that the translation is true and correct

Had 5 speeding tickets in past 25 years. None in past 12 years. I disclosed all 5 on my N400 application. I was questioned about them during interview and I confirmed that I had several, but none in past 12 years. She said no problem. Pass my interview (received approval). Oath in 10 days.

What is the consensus here about disclosing parking tickets? Or standing violations in general (e.g parking, expired license tabs, or license tabs renewed but not put on the plates etc.). I have had a couple of those in the distant past but cannot remember the dates nor find any records of those with the DMV. It will also be hard to dig up the payment receipts or checks made for the payments. So I'm not sure what to do.

As for moving violiations, I have one red light (camera based) violation ($150 fine) and a speeding citation (no fine in this case), both non DUI and under $500. I did not disclose these in the N400.

AP

What is the consensus here about disclosing parking tickets? Or standing violations in general (e.g parking, expired license tabs, or license tabs renewed but not put on the plates etc.). I have had a couple of those in the distant past but cannot remember the dates nor find any records of those with the DMV. It will also be hard to dig up the payment receipts or checks made for the payments. So I'm not sure what to do.

As for moving violiations, I have one red light (camera based) violation ($150 fine) and a speeding citation (no fine in this case), both non DUI and under $500. I did not disclose these in the N400.

AP

While there is definitely a split of opinion when it comes to traffic violations, everyone unanimously agrees that parking violations and camera-based violations don't need to be listed.

I spoke with USCIS customer service. They asked me call the local precint and fill out a form for Disposition of Arrest. I spoke with my local precint. I will have to fill out a form/Letter/Request under Freedom of Information Act. It takes 5-7 business days to get the records. I am going to the village hall tomorrow to apply for one. Customer Service indicated that the Disposition of Arrest would be sufficient to prove that I was never arrested. I DO NOT HAVE TO get proof that I paid and settled my Traffic ticket violations if it is under $500 fine or does not involve drug or alcohol. For request forms, google " Freedom of infomation act form with you state initials." I am glad I was honest in reporting all my traffic citattions. Full monty. :p. Hope this helps others.

I think you are making a simple thing complicated. You do not have problem; you are creating one. Say no to arrest question. You were not arrested. You don't have to prove that you were not arrested if you were not. It says do not list the tickets under $ 500 or not related to DUI. Why is it so hard to understand. Don't worry about the technicality. You will have a chance to explain at the interview.