Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I have a similar situation. I have 2 speeding tickets, where the cops mde me pull over as "I was speeding Less than 25 mph above limit". Had to pay $126 fine, no-contest each time. I am planning to declare those events.
However, Last year we got a red-light running ticket in the mail, and it was directed to me as I was the owner of the vehicle. I am not sure if it was me or my wife driving at that time. The fine was about $76(If I remember it correctly) and I had an option to contest and say that I was not the driver at that time by submitting an affidavit . However I payed it without contesting, because of the hassle of having to travel to Atlanta etc. The letter had stated that this was strictly a civil monetary penalty and the incident was NON-CRIMINAL and it would not go in to my driving history nor would there be any points .
Do you consider this as a citation ?. I think it involved no-officer but simply a computer generated letter in the mail.

What should I do, go ahead and declare it ?. Then I have the extra burden of proving that I paid on time and will have to get all the documents to that effect. Also this would make alltogether 3 incidents in a 2 year period of time.

Please Advise as I am planning to submit my N400 petition by next week.

The answer is no. Don't list this, as it's not on your record.

At the interview they did not ask if I had any traffic tickets. They asked have you ever been arrested, convicted or cited for which I said 'NO'.But, if they asked about my traffic tickets I would have said 'YES'.

Same here. I didn't list any traffic violations on my N-400, but considered disclosing them at the interview if the IO specifically asked about traffic tickets. I wasn't asked about them, so I didn't disclose them. Case closed.

Even if you do declare them, the possibility of the IO requesting proof of payment or using them as basis for a denial seems so remote. Sure, there have been a few reported case of simple traffic citations causing problems at the interview, but those seem to be exceptions rather then the norm.
For the record I didn't declare simple traffic citations, not was I ever asked about them at the interview. However, the same reasoning shouldn't be used for all traffic citations (especially those involving DWI).

In most states..when a camera catches you....it is usually a Civil charge against the owner of the vehicle...need not be reported

If a copy catches you...it is usually a Criminal Class C Misdemeanor ... should be reported

In most states..when a camera catches you....it is usually a Civil charge against the owner of the vehicle...need not be reported

If a copy catches you...it is usually a Criminal Class C Misdemeanor ... should be reported

Running a red light is a Class C Misdemeanor??? Wow, what state do you live in?

Speeding Tickets YES/NO

This has been a topic of confusion for N400 filers.
There are some who have decalred it and went through the process succesfully and there are others who did not decalre it and went through the entire process succesfully. The intent for this thread is not to discuss the topic further as it has been discussed before in several other threads . But just to get an idea about the statistics so that future filers will be able to make a determination about the issue. Let us just state the following:
Starting with myself

District Office: Atlanta
Petition-Date: 10/20/2008
Minor-Traffic-tickets: 3 Speeding Tickets
Decalred: YES
Status/Outcome: Waiting for FP Letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a topic of confusion for N400 filers. There are some petitions such as that for Adoption, the rule specifically states to exclude any minor traffic offense as long as it involved no DUI nor an arrest and the penalty was less than $500.
There are some who have decalred it and went through the process succesfully and there are others who did not decalre it and went through the entire process succesfully. The intent for this thread is not to discuss the topic further as it has been discussed before in several other threads . But just to get an idea about the statistics so that future filers will be able to make a determination about the issue. Let us just state the following:
Starting with myself

District Office: Atlanta
Petition-Date: 10/01/2008
Minor-Traffic-tickets: 3 Speeding Tickets
Decalred: YES
Outcome: Still-waiting.

I had one traffic ticket in my life and I do not plan to declare it on my N-400.

"outcome:still waiting"

does that mean you're still waiting for the interview, or waiting for the outcome OF the interview/decision because you mentioned it?

IMO, this would only make sense if only people who have already HAD an outcome replied. (had interview, and everything was ok/not ok with the tickets).
Otherwise how can we know what really happened? "I mentioned/didn't mention tickets, but I don't know what will happen" is not going to be much help.
Now, If only people who already HAD interview and finished the process can reply, that would would give you a real indication of statistics.
FWIW, I didn't mention any tickets, but I don't know what will happen :) (see? you really didn't gather any real info.)
Make this only applicable to people who already HAD the interview; otherwise this won't be much help.

I have 2 traffic tickets and I am planning to decalre those. District Office: Atlanta
Petition-Date: 10/20/2008

I didn't disclose my minor speeding tickets, not was I asked about them at interview and it never became an issue. IMO, if USCIS wanted to make a point about minor traffic tickets as a measure of moral character , they would specifically ask about them at interview.

I've had several traffic tickets, didn't disclose them on the N-400 nor at the interview. The interviewing IO asked me if I've ever been arrested, not if I've ever been arrested, cited, or detained.

At the oath, the IO in charge specifically instructed us not to mention traffic tickets on the back of the oath letter if no arrest was involved.

One speeding ticket in 18 years in the U.S. Did not disclose in N-400. Don't plan on telling unless specifically asked to do so. Interview Nov 6th Raleigh District Office

District Office: Newark NJ
Minor-Traffic-tickets: 1 Speeding Ticket, 1 traffic light, 1 did stop at stop sign in parking lot when there was not a soul in sight, not even the cop who came from nowhere.
Decalred: Not in N-400, but diclosed in interview.
Status/Outcome: Approved.

1 Speeding ticket and 2 other non-moving violations more than 5 years ago. Answered 'No' to the "Have you been arrested/cited..." question on N-400. I was also confused as to what i should answer at the interview for that question , but what i decided was to answer according to the officer and the situation. My IO wanted to get me out of the there asap and asked me right upfront to answer in only 'Yes' or 'No' unless he asked for an explanation. I also sensed he was a senior officer as he asked me all the civic questions from memory and the other 'Yes/No' questions as well. So i just went with the flow and answered 'No' and was out of there in no time at all.

Had 3-4 Speeding tickets in 11 years of my stay in US. Didn't mention it on the N400.At the interview when asked if "I have ever been arrested/cited" , I said "NO". I am approved and got the Oath on the same day at Dallas DO.

This has been a topic of confusion for N400 filers. There are some petitions such as that for Adoption, the rule clearly states to exclude any minor traffic offense as long as it involved no DUI nor an arrest and the penalty was less than $500.
Neither the N-400 instructions nor the Guide to Naturalization clearly say you can or should exclude the under-$500 non-DUI tickets. They just say you don't need to provide supporting documentation for them. Now some people may interpret that to mean they don't need to disclose them at all, and that might be a correct interpretation based on how USCIS handles it, but still there is no official instruction that clearly says you should not list them at all.

Neither the N-400 instructions nor the Guide to Naturalization clearly say you can or should exclude the under-$500 non-DUI tickets. They just say you don't need to provide supporting documentation for them. Now some people may interpret that to mean they don't need to disclose them at all, and that might be a correct interpretation based on how USCIS handles it, but still there is no official instruction that clearly says you should not list them at all.
Jackolantern;
You are right; the N400 instruction does not state nor imply(IMHO) that you can exclude it. In fact, the language and the statements before and after make me think that they DO want you to list everything, but no accompanying documentation for petty traffic offenses.
What I was refering to was not N400, but other petitions such as the ones for ADOPTION of a Child etc. There it has clearly stated to exclude any minor traffic incidents. As was the case with earlier N400 instructions, before they had revised it:).
I know this topic has been discussed over and over across several threads. Here let us try to do just a head count .