Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

But what section do you say Yes to

Which Question should I answer as "Yes".
Do I have to say Yes to all of the following questions?

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?
16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?
17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?
18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

Can someone please help?

I have been given a ticket (offense) and then that got converted to a parking ticket.

I find it a little strange that I have to say that I have comitted a crime because of parking ticket

Vorpal, What about the tickets have been paid but all records for that do not exist in that particular city/cities? Since the city/cities cannot find any record, what is the correct thing to do? Then it is not possible to supply proof that the tickets were paid. :confused:

Being a NYC resident, I filed a FOIA request with the NYS DMV. They destroy all records after 4 years, and I have a couple of tickets that fall outside of that timeframe. In response, they sent me a letter (on official letterhead, of course) stating that they have no records for me prior to 2003, due to the fact that they have been purged. Along with the letter, they sent me an FAQ list. One of the things stated on the list was that certain government organizations request driving records that fall outside of the NYS DMV timeframe and that such records cannot be obtained due to the fact that they have been destroyed. I'm debating whether I'll disclose my old tickets and bring the letter along as evidence, or not disclose those tickets at all. One of the tickets was a "no turn" violations, the other a seatbelt violation, both under $100.

Which Question should I answer as "Yes".
Do I have to say Yes to all of the following questions?

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?
16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?
17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?
18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

Can someone please help?

I have been given a ticket (offense) and then that got converted to a parking ticket.

I find it a little strange that I have to say that I have comitted a crime because of parking ticket

You didn't commit a crime, but you have been CITED (see no. 16) by a law enforcement officer. Also, the ticket was originally issued as a traffic ticket, but was converted to a parking ticket in court. Just to be on the safe side, I'd bring a copy of the court disposition to the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention but I guess I will be fine If I take a copy of check paid and the ticket when I go for interview.

My view

You don't have to mention it if the incident was not alcohol or drug related.
Please see Q 7 under FAQs in the Naturalization Guide.

However, I do recommend you having the incident date, fees paid and outcome in a separate sheet.

Here is my understanding of the naturalization guide.

The FAQs in the Naturalization Guide says that you do not need to submit DOCUMENTATION if it is not DUI related or fine is less than $500 but you still need to report it on the form. The same paragraph clearly says that you need to report even minor offenses.

Boatbod is right. This once again opens the debate about the neverending debate about Speeding/Traffic Tickets.
My personal opinion is to list them all. Make sure you have proof of payment and still go ahead and apply. The thing with that debate is whether people agree on the fact that a Speeding or Traffic Ticket is a citation. I personally think it is.
For sure is you have a lot of explaining to do BUT if you do not list them and your IO is one of those who do think "my" way then you got some explaining to do if you do not list them.
Like I said I see a Ticket as a citation and I listed my only one on my N-400 because I so did not want to take a chance for my Citizenship to be revoked because I didn't list it. I am a natural worrier so ...
Anyway ... it all comes down to what you want to do and what you feel comfortable with and good luck.

My 2 Cents

More than half of those 15 tickets are in the past 3 years, making it easy for the IO to find out about them if they decide to obtain your driving records. These tickets are not sufficient grounds for deportation, but failure to mention them on the N-400 application is.

To add another thing.
I just read once again through all of your Tickets and I know in my state driving with no insurance OR with an expired license will land you in jail so you got lucky ...
Just start being careful what you do and remember weaing a seatbelt can safe your life !

Definitely mention on app. as previous poster says there is too much risk without it.

Also where do you live now? I would like to avoid where you are, you have too many red light and speeding tickets that it is hazardous to rest of us in the area. And I am assuming after you get citizenship your track record will continue..

When I was applying I called USCIS customer rep and he said traffic tickets need not be mentioned on the form. My husband only had one and that was back in 1999. I have got a copy from DMV to show it was paid in full ($65). You might need to talk to customer care rep to make sure..

When I was applying I called USCIS customer rep and he said traffic tickets need not be mentioned on the form. My husband only had one and that was back in 1999. I have got a copy from DMV to show it was paid in full ($65). You might need to talk to customer care rep to make sure..
The phone reps don't know anything. Call another one and you get a different answer. You do need to mention the tickets, but you don't have to have documentation for them unless they meet one of the criteria ($500, DUI, etc.).

I kind of disagree with that. If you list a Traffic Ticket you should always have proof of payment.
It is good to have proof of payment just in case, but the naturalization guide says such documentation is not required except for the $500/DUI/etc.

My only ticket was in 1999, and I'm not going to go out of my way to find any records of it unless explicitly requested by the interviewer.

I agree with Ladybuggy. There've been many "interview experience" posts where the IO demanded proof of payment for traffic tickets that do not meet the $500/DUI/DWI criteria. It's better to bring proof of payment/court dispositions for as many traffic tickets as you can find, rather than be sent home with an RFE and have your interview rescheduled.

My friend had 2 traffic tickets (less than 50 dollars fines) in 1st year and 3rd year of last 5 years. He had to put the list of citiations on the N-400 form last month. Now he couldn't find the copies of tickets that he paid fines for.

He asked me where he can find to obtain his driving records for Maryland? MVA (Maryland Vehicle Adminstration)? certified driving records? uncertified driving records would be sufficent? What should driving records look like? Is there any format?