Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I am in the Military, guard member. I had applied for citizenship and got denied because the officer stated that I didnt mention my traffic citations, and I have been asked to wait for 5 years. Unfortunately I didnt appeal the decision and its already past 30 days. Does anyone have an idea on what I need to do inorder to be able to reapply soon?

Thanks

nellybabe,

could you clarify what happend??. I mean the IO explicity ask you about traffic citations and you told that you didn´t have any or the IO didn´t ask you about traffic citations???.

thanks

vorpal,

you know what, i HAVE BEEN READING THE TRAFFIC TICKETS THREAD AND there is about thousands of posts with CONTRADICTIONSS.. SO THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS CONFUSING...CHECK IT OUT..

THANKS

Uh....I've been "checking it out" in the over two years that I've been a member of this forum. Use that handy search function, it really works. Trust me!:)

Iceway,

The IO didnt ask me about the citation, i got a denial notice about 2 weeks later stating that I did not disclose my citations in my application and therefore I have been seen as a person with lack of good moral character and that I have to wait for 5 years before I could reapply.

Nellybabe

Iceway,

The IO didnt ask me about the citation, i got a denial notice about 2 weeks later stating that I did not disclose my citations in my application and therefore I have been seen as a person with lack of good moral character and that I have to wait for 5 years before I could reapply.

Nellybabe

I am surprised to see denial for not disclosing tickets in N-400.

Were they regular speeding tickets or DUI/Reckless driving tickets?

Last edited by a moderator:
there were all regular speeding ticket and were all nolle prosequi and dismissed
nellybabe,

I am sorry to hear that,

I think you should tell the IO in the interview once she/he asked you in the questions about crime,offense,cited...

I am in the same boat. I didn´t put anything related to tickets. But I´ll say about my citation and parking ticket in my interview. Even that a little car accident.

nellybabe,

BTW, How many speeding tickets did you have??. Maybe if you had a lot of tickets in a short time they checked that.

What is the state did you apply?.

nellybabe,

I am sorry to hear that your N-400 was denied.
But here are the FACTS

"If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you must send a certified copy of the arrest report, court disposition, sentencing, and any other relevant documents, including any countervailing evidence concerning the circumstances of your arrest or conviction that you would like the USCIS to consider. NOT that unless A TRAFFIC INCIDENT WAS ALCOHOL OR DRUG related, YOU DO NOT need to submit documentation for TRAFFIC FINES and incidents that did not INVOLVE an ACTUAL ARREST if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 Or points on your driver's license." http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

Wave

Same here, I had 4 speed tickets in last 11 years.
On my N-400 application i checked NO, but during the interview when the IO ASKED IF I HAD any citations in the past i said yes. And i told the officer that they are all traffic violation citation for less than $500 fine plus negative points.
It has been two months since my interview and i am still waiting on a final decision.

Wave

I'm also in the same situation, have 3 tickets in last 11 years, only 1 in last 5 years, have my complete driving record which says 0 points and 1 ticket in 2008. Applied in Baltimore, MD and still waiting after over 4 months and they said thru Senator they are doing Overseas Investigation.

Same here, I had 4 speed tickets in last 11 years.
On my N-400 application i checked NO, but during the interview when the IO ASKED IF I HAD any citations in the past i said yes. And i told the officer that they are all traffic violation citation for less than $500 fine plus negative points.
It has been two months since my interview and i am still waiting on a final decision.

Wave

Hi Wavejazz,

I don´t know if you have something else in your background. Did you show to the IO your citations??.does she/he ask you for it??.

I think that 2 months is a long time to receive an answer. If I were you I would request an Infopass. Maybe that can help you. I read some people helped a lot.

good luck

It is sad to hear that the n-400s are being denied due to not disclosing traffic tickets/citations. I have been seriously suggesting in my previous posts that it is better to disclose these tickets rather than not. The n-400 is very clear "have u ever been arrested , cited etc etc " .But any lawyer will tell you that the language is clear .. you have to disclose it . In their opinion n-400 cant be denied for traffic tickets but it can be denied for misleading or not disclosing material facts. sometime ago there was a gentleman who claimed that I should show him a case where n-400 was denied for not disclosing the ticket. I think that person has the proof now.

it is bad that n-400 is denied for not disclosing the tickets.

I have a traffic ticket back on August 2009 after the N-400 interviewed on July 2009.
It was a passenger seat belt ticket.
The police told me no point and no traffic school for this, just pay the bill.
I paid the fine $150 as soon as I received the bill.

Do i need to disclose this minor traffic violation?
Please help me for this.
Thanks.