Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I got my red light citation after my application. I presented the receipt of payment to the IO. She updated my appication
and after the interview told me a decision cannot be made since a supervisor has to review the citation. The fee was 270
in total. So now i have to wait a few more weeks for the supervisor's decision. that was today.

During the interview the IO may orally ask this question:"Have you ever been arrested anywhere in teh world?".
And here by arrested, he also meant to say "arrested, cited, etc". So if you think were only cited but not arrested,
you better answer it well rather than just a No. You can say "I was never arrested but was cited... ". This
will avoid misunderstanding. It has been reported here by some posters that they don't think they were arrested
so they just answer No but the IO poulled record from FBI name check & FP check.

Does FBI actually have records of our traffic violations? Say from California?

It is likely that one has multiple tickets, and say some are so historical (>10 years old) that finding any kind of record is difficult. I would imagine you would declare what you can back up, and leave the odd old one out?

Well, i need help , I went for my interview, everything went fine. but the officer pulled a paper and told me that i did not go to court. well i had a ticket i did not pay. then she told i passed my interview, but she can not make decission yet. I left straight and paid that ticket which i did not go to court for. But i also had other tickets and flags on my tags in the MVA. After a month i paid all tickets i have got and also the flag fees. Now what should i do? wait for Immigration to contact me for ceremony or tell them i paid the tickets, im just confused. Please help with any ideas. Thank You

What paper did the officer pull out?

Does FBI actually have records of our traffic violations? Say from California?

It is likely that one has multiple tickets, and say some are so historical (>10 years old) that finding any kind of record is difficult. I would imagine you would declare what you can back up, and leave the odd old one out?

The FBI may have records of DUI/DWI offenses, as those usually result in arrests and criminal charges. However, I highly doubt that they have records of minor traffic violations. In fact, if they did, everyone's traffic tickets would come up during background check.

I got a ticket back in sep 2004 and looking at the court record, the ticket had 2 charges. One charge is for speeding and cost of fine was $199.00 and another charge for reckless driving and cost of fine was $360.00. I paid for both charges totalling $559.00 around the same time.

Now, I'm getting ready for N400 and my confusion is should I consider them as two minor charges since fine of each charge less than $500 or consider that as one ticket with fine of $559.00

Just curious...

Trouble with traffic ticket

Hello-

I am going for my interview in about a week. I discovered a couple of days ago that I had a ticket from the previous state I lived in. The ticket had been assigned to a collection agency and it is worth 900 dollars.

I am going to pay it right away, but the issue now, what consequences is this going to bring to my application status.

Should I disclose this to the IO? Are they going to delay my approval?

Please give me some insight about this.

Hello-

I am going for my interview in about a week. I discovered a couple of days ago that I had a ticket from the previous state I lived in. The ticket had been assigned to a collection agency and it is worth 900 dollars.

I am going to pay it right away, but the issue now, what consequences is this going to bring to my application status.

Should I disclose this to the IO? Are they going to delay my approval?

Please give me some insight about this.

Is this a traffic ticket or a parking ticket? If you had an unpaid traffic ticket from another state, your current state would suspend your driver license, as per the Interstate Driver License Compact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact

For what it's worth, here was my experience around this question: I have had only one traffic ticket for a minor accident in Atlanta way back in 1998. I used to have a VA driver's license back then. Anyway, the accident was my fault but being a minor fender-bender, I had a citation of somewhere around $85 (can't remember exact amount but this was the ballpark figure) and I had paid that fine. Fast forward many years and I had lost my copy and proof of resolution of that accident (well it has been about 12 years, people). So when I was applying for my N-400, I answered yes to that question about arrests/citations and in the details I wrote "Cited: Traffic accident" and for the resolution, I wrote "Paid traffic fine (~$85)". I didn't even have the exact date but knew it was in Jan 1998 and so put that down in the date column.

Before my naturalization interview, I got the usual yellow letter which said that I mentioned that I had been arrested (not true, I stated "cited" on the form) and to bring proof of resolution. So I spent a couple of days making all kinds of calls to:

1. The VA DMV (they no longer even have me in their system, it's like I never existed there because they tried looking up my record based on my old VA license number and even my SSN. I was told they purge records after something like 7 years after you change from VA to a different state driver's license)

2. Just about every Atlanta and GA court, agency, state police number asking for details I needed. I wasn't exactly sure which jurisdiction that accident happened in but had a general idea. Everyone in Atlanta seemed very nice on the phone but nobody could help me out. In many cases, I was told that records are purged after 4 or 6 years.

In the end, I just decided I wasn't getting anywhere and wrote a letter detailing my efforts to find my disposition information and was going to take this letter to my interview and only furnish it if I felt I needed to. I also got a certified copy of MA driving record which has been absolutely clean for the last 10 years.

At the interview, when we got to that question, I proactively told my lady interviewer that I answered yes to that question because of my traffic citation and I had paid the fine. She said that since I only paid that fine, this sort of incident did not apply to that question. I told her that I had interpreted my answer as a yes because of the word "cited" and I had paid a citation. She told me that many people did the same thing but these didn't apply to that question. She said that she was changing my answer to no and she did that in red ink, initialed the change and wrote that I had paid a traffic fine. She also asked if I had ever been in a court, which was no, and she wrote that down as well next to that question. So I didn't have any proof of the disposition and resolution with me at the interview but in the end, she didn't ask for it and approved everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to confirm that you do need to show evidence of paying for your parking tickets even if they are under $500. I said that I had citations on my application. That was the only thing IO asked about. I gave him evidence of payment and there was no problem.

I think the safest thing is to check the citations box on the application and bring evidence of payment.

I want to confirm that you do need to show evidence of paying for your parking tickets even if they are under $500. I said that I had citations on my application. That was the only thing IO asked about. I gave him evidence of payment and there was no problem.

I think the safest thing is to check the citations box on the application and bring evidence of payment.

For me, I was not comfortable about NOT disclosing on the N-400 that I had this old citation even though I did not have proof of resolution. This is what felt right and what I interpreted that question to be. I, at least, went into the interview with a clear conscience that I wasn't hiding anything and felt vindicated when the lady changed my answer to no. Different people will feel comfortable with different approaches. If you have proof of payment/resolution of any incident, you should absolutely take it with you to the interview.

I had 3 speeding tickets in the last 12 years which I am going to mention n my N-400.

I think I got three parking tickets and don't know how much I paid.

Do we have to even mention parking tickets?
I spent couple of weeks in debating myself whether to mention traffic tickets or not in N-400 and finally decided to mention it.

I had 3 speeding tickets in the last 12 years which I am going to mention n my N-400.

I think I got three parking tickets and don't know how much I paid.

Do we have to even mention parking tickets?
I spent couple of weeks in debating myself whether to mention traffic tickets or not in N-400 and finally decided to mention it.

Parking tickets do not need to be mentioned as they are not even moving violations. If you did mention the parking tickets, they won't be an issue at all.

Interview strategy for (unwillingly) not mentioning "traffic violations" on N400

What is the best strategy for coming to your interview when you didn't mention trafic tickets on the N400 as the result of an honest misunderstanding (i.e. not willingly), but you want to set the record straight during the interview.

I guess what I am asking is advice on how to approach this? Wait until it comes up during the interview or go at it pro-actively? First thing you come in, or do you wait until the final end of the conversation?

Besides getting proofs of payment and/or certified court dispositions, is there anything else one can do/prepare prior to interview that would help in your defense (pertaining to this traffic ticket issue)?

Thanks

G

What is the best strategy for comming to your interview when you didn't mention trafic tickets on the N400 as the result of an honest misunderstanding (i.e. not willingly), but you want to set the record straight during the interview.

I guess what I am asking is advice on how to approach this? Wait until it comes up during the interview or go at it pro-actively? First thing you come in, or do you wait until the final end of the conversation?

Besides getting proofs of payment and/or certified court dispositions, is there anything else one can do/prepare prior to interview that would help in your defence (pertaining to this traffic ticket issue)?

Thanks

G

The following is based on my personal experience. How you decide to handle it is up to you.

Like many others, I thought that the question to being cited referred to criminal citations, not minor traffic tickets. As such, I marked "NO" on the N-400 and sent it off. Shortly after, I joined this forum and found out that there is a split opinion on how to handle traffic tickets. Just to be on the safe side, I gathered whatever proof of payment/court dispositions I could find and brought them to the interview with me. I planned on disclosing traffic tickets if the IO specifically asked about them. The IO only asked if I was arrested. I answered "NO" and we moved on. At my oath, the IO in charge specifically directed all oath takers not to disclose traffic tickets, despite the fact that the OL specifically asks to disclose them.

Again, it's up to you how to handle your traffic tickets. If you decide to disclose them, make sure you bring proof of payment and disclose them to the IO when he/she gets to that part of the N-400. Traffic tickets are really not a big deal when it comes to naturalization and there's no need to prepare a defense for not mentioning them.

I talked to the officer at the citizenship seminar in Littleton, CO last Tuesday. She told me that I just check yes to citation since I got a traffic ticket from car accident back in 2006. I was fined about $90 at that time. She said I don't have to request proof from DMV but just check yes for that question.

So I had my interview today and when the officer went over the N400, I was asked if I was ever arrested or committed a crime, etc. Then I told the officer that I never gotten arrested but that I had two traffic citations. The officer then asked when they occurred, and when I told the officer one was 2001 and the other 2004 the officer just shrugged them off and went on with process.

I did my oath a few hours later.

What about a citation In nyc for hopping the subway with out paying. The port authority officer said its like A parking ticket. none moving violation. I'm not 100% sure if I should disclose it or not. I paid $100 fine.

traffic ticket and parking ticket

Hi guys,

I´ve been reading a lot of posts regarding traffic tickets and now I am confusing. I am going to bring the payments just in case:

-I have atomated red light camera ticket. I have a certified payment for that.
- I have parking ticket. I got receipt of payment from city of Los Angeles parking. I´ve been trying to get it certified, but they told me that They don´t do that. Should it be a problem because it is not certified??.
- car accident. little crush in a parking lot. Any ticket, any police..nothing. So I think that I shouldn´t say something.

Any advice.
Thanks

Hi guys,

I´ve been reading a lot of posts regarding traffic tickets and now I am confusing. I am going to bring the payments just in case:

-I have atomated red light camera ticket. I have a certified payment for that.
- I have parking ticket. I got receipt of payment from city of Los Angeles parking. I´ve been trying to get it certified, but they told me that They don´t do that. Should it be a problem because it is not certified??.
- car accident. little crush in a parking lot. Any ticket, any police..nothing. So I think that I shouldn´t say something.

Any advice.
Thanks

Iceway,

Please don't be offended at this, but have you been paying attention to any of the responses that forum members have been giving you over the past few days???

Again....THERE IS NO NEED OR REQUIREMENT TO DISCLOSE RED LIGHT CAMERA TICKETS, PARKING TICKETS, OR CAR ACCIDENTS. It's really that simple.

Iceway,

Please don't be offended at this, but have you been paying attention to any of the responses that forum members have been giving you over the past few days???

Again....THERE IS NO NEED OR REQUIREMENT TO DISCLOSE RED LIGHT CAMERA TICKETS, PARKING TICKETS, OR CAR ACCIDENTS. It's really that simple.

vorpal,

you know what, i HAVE BEEN READING THE TRAFFIC TICKETS THREAD AND there is about thousands of posts with CONTRADICTIONSS.. SO THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS CONFUSING...CHECK IT OUT..

THANKS