Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

The denial of nyc_newbie's N-400 on the basis of bad moral character resulting from minor speeding tickets has been overturned. He is now waiting for his OL.

Not at all surprising, if you ask me.

That was to be expected. Can you please provide the source for this information. Thanks.

That was to be expected. Can you please provide the source for this information. Thanks.

I've been exchanging PMs with nyc_newbie and got the information directly from him. The latest update is that he received his OL for a December 4 ceremony.

Here is what the above link says:

Question: What documentation is USCIS looking for on N-400 applications for clients who have traffic citations only (no arrests), such as speeding tickets? This is in reference to the Good Moral Character section, question 16, which asks if you have ever been arrested, cited, etc. Also, what is expected at the N-400 interview regarding these traffic tickets?

Response: Typically if an individual only has minor traffic citations with no arrests resulting (i.e. speeding tickets), they will not be required to submit any additional information with the N-400. However, if, during the course of the interview, an adjudications officer determines that there are circumstances that warrant further investigation, (e.g. there is an indication that the applicant has failed to pay fines associated with the citations), the officer may request additional documentation. (e.g. payment, certified police/court documents indicating such).

I personally did not find any new information at all. It does not answer the eternal question: to disclose or not to disclose :)

Hi.

Since I came to usa in 1998, I have several traffic tickets before getting the green card and nothing after getting the green card. The most recent ticket is 5 years ago.

The tickets were, over a course of 6 years, 2 red lights, 2 regular speeding and one over 100mph. Red light and regular speed tickets cost me 1 point each and 75-300 fine. The one over 100mph cost me 400 dollar fine, 2 points and 1 month driver licence suspension (no arrest and it was only an infraction, no misdemeanor). I read in the official publication M-476 "A Guide to naturalization" that if your tickets are below 500 dollar fine and only cost you points, then you do not need to mention them.

So what is the situation here, whould I mention all tickets, just the 100mph ticket (because it involves driver licence suspension too) or none? If I need to mention them, would it constitute a bar for getting citizenship? I mean I still had all these tickets when I got my green card, as I mentioned they are all before getting my green card and they all were much more recent dated tickets then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview is over, should I go back and inform about traffic ticket ?

I have started reading this forum after my interview. Like many others, I did not know that minor traffic tickets below $500 need to be listed. I had one minor ticket seven years ago, for which I had prompty paid the fine and took traffic lessons. My interview is already done (IO did not specifically ask about traffic tickets), but, I have not recieved my Oath letter yet. I am thinking of taking an Info pass and mention them about that one traffic ticket I had got. I don't see any downside to doing this, other than, may be little delay in getting Oath letter. Any suggestions/thoughts ?

I have started reading this forum after my interview. Like many others, I did not know that minor traffic tickets below $500 need to be listed. I had one minor ticket seven years ago, for which I had prompty paid the fine and took traffic lessons. My interview is already done (IO did not specifically ask about traffic tickets), but, I have not recieved my Oath letter yet. I am thinking of taking an Info pass and mention them about that one traffic ticket I had got. I don't see any downside to doing this, other than, may be little delay in getting Oath letter. Any suggestions/thoughts ?

Under no circumstances should you do this. What's done is done. Minor traffic tickets have no effect on the approval of your application, nor does the USCIS check driving records as part of the background check. You'll receive your oath letter soon. The fact that you haven't yet received it has nothing to do with your ticket.

You should have disclosed the traffic ticket, but I agree with Vorpal, DO NOT mess with your application at this point.

Hi.

Since I came to usa in 1998, I have several traffic tickets before getting the green card and nothing after getting the green card. The most recent ticket is 5 years ago.

The tickets were, over a course of 6 years, 2 red lights, 2 regular speeding and one over 100mph. Red light and regular speed tickets cost me 1 point each and 75-300 fine. The one over 100mph cost me 400 dollar fine, 2 points and 1 month driver licence suspension (no arrest and it was only an infraction, no misdemeanor). I read in the official publication M-476 "A Guide to naturalization" that if your tickets are below 500 dollar fine and only cost you points, then you do not need to mention them.

So what is the situation here, whould I mention all tickets, just the 100mph ticket (because it involves driver licence suspension too) or none? If I need to mention them, would it constitute a bar for getting citizenship? I mean I still had all these tickets when I got my green card, as I mentioned they are all before getting my green card and they all were much more recent dated tickets then.

You need to list out all your tickets. Q 16 uses the word 'ever' in bold on the form
16. Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

See Part 7, Question C on how USCIS words its questions when they need information only for the time period since you became a permanent resident.

There is a lot of useful information for those would like to take the citizenship exam here. I read a lot however, my case is slightly different. Here is my case:
I filled out the application and already sent it.

Just some days ago, I got a citation from a Metrolink security for not having a valid school ID (an expired one) because I was using a student pass - the ticket was called "Transit Violation", not "Traffic Violation" like many people's here.

I could go to the court for appealing, however, I decided to pay the fine as it was only $50 because I took me almost 2 hours to drive back and forth to the circuit court, probably 1-2 hours waiting. I would have to skip my part-time work. so I paid the $50 fine.

My question:
is this "transit violation" different from "traffic violation"? If not, is it a serious case?

I don't think Metrolink security is considered 'Law Enforcement', so I don't think you need to disclose the citation.

E.g. you could get a citation from the Homeowners Association for parking in a reserved spot (or not watering your lawn or whatever). As they are not a Law Enforcement agency, you are not required to disclose such citations.

Thanks Vorpal and GungaDin.

I am not worried about not recieving the oath letter yet. My concern is that in future, this should not cause any problems.

Thanks Vorpal and GungaDin.

I am not worried about not recieving the oath letter yet. My concern is that in future, this should not cause any problems.

You won't have any problems in the future. Since traffic tickets aren't used to determine your moral character, it won't come back to haunt you. If you failed to disclose an arrest, on the other hand, it would cause serious problems. Then again, the USCIS would know about arrests prior to your interview, since they'd come up during background check.

I live in MA, and 5 years back I had paid $50 fine for running a stop sign.

My question is, what's the procedure to obtain a court disposition?

I live in MA, and 5 years back I had paid $50 fine for running a stop sign.

My question is, what's the procedure to obtain a court disposition?

Did you go to court to fight this ticket, or did you just pay it? If you didn't go to court, there's no disposition to obtain.

I had gone to court. The original fine was $100. They reduced it to $50 which I had paid.

Try contacting the court where you went to fight the ticket. If you disclose this ticket on your N-400, the proof of payment (canceled check, for instance) will be sufficient. If you can provide them with proof of payment, a court disposition will not be necessary.

Try contacting the court where you went to fight the ticket. If you disclose this ticket on your N-400, the proof of payment (canceled check, for instance) will be sufficient. If you can provide them with proof of payment, a court disposition will not be necessary.

Thanks.

Vorpal,

I read your post again, and I have another question. I had forgotten to disclose the ticket on N400, do I need to get court disposition?

Hi,

11 years back i got a speeding ticket in LA for $180. At that time i appealed by writing to court, didnt actually go the court. They reduced the fine to $90 dollars and removed it from my driving history considering as first mistake.

Should i disclose the ticket on N400? unfortunately i dont have a record of the ticket and i also dont remember where exactly i got the ticket meaning which county in LA.

If i have to disclose the ticket any suggestions on how i should obtain the proof of the record.

Appreciate any and all help. i am in the processing submitting N-400.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vorpal,

I read your post again, and I have another question. I had forgotten to disclose the ticket on N400, do I need to get court disposition?

Truthfully, I wouldn't bother disclosing it at the interview. Just in case, bring proof of payment with you. That way, in the extremely unlikely case where the IO specifically asks if you've had traffic tickets, you can say yes and show him the proof of payment.