Today I had my citizenship interview

14ksusha

Registered Users (C)
Some of you might remember me - I was pretty active in this blog in 2006-2007. I got my citizenship today! It was very easy...no questions asked about my trips (I had ten lined up in the 'Travel' Section of the application and five of them were to COP), no questions about my taxes (I had the transcripts for five years back). The whole interview took no more than 15 min. The officer was super nice, nicer than the receptionist at my doctor's office. I became very emotional at the end of the interview and in tears and the officer said: 'There, there, I know, it's been a long journey for you! It's over now.' I did not have any paperwork to support my short trips back home (the longest was 12 days) I was prepared to explain that I am an only child and I simply missed my parents. They are elderly and started having medical issues. The one and only purpose of my trips to COP to check on my folks.
So here is my timeline in case it doesn't show as part of my signature:

Applied for asylum - 1992
Received asylum - 1996
GC application - 1997
1997 - 2006 - stuck in the asylees' cap
GC approved - 2006
Applied for citizenship - March 2010
Interview - May 5 2010
Oath - May 2010

Cheers!!!!

Some of you might remember me - I was pretty active in this blog in 2006-2007. I got my citizenship today! It was very easy...no questions asked about my trips (I had ten lined up in the 'Travel' Section of the application and five of them were to COP), no questions about my taxes (I had the transcripts for five years back). The whole interview took no more than 15 min. The officer was super nice, nicer than the receptionist at my doctor's office. I became very emotional at the end of the interview and in tears and the officer said: 'There, there, I know, it's been a long journey for you! It's over now.' I did not have any paperwork to support my short trips back home (the longest was 12 days) I was prepared to explain that I am an only child and I simply missed my parents. They are elderly and started having medical issues. The one and only purpose of my trips to COP to check on my folks.
So here is my timeline in case it doesn't show as part of my signature:

Applied for asylum - 1992
Received asylum - 1996
GC application - 1997
1997 - 2006 - stuck in the asylees' cap
GC approved - 2006
Applied for citizenship - March 2010
Interview - May 5 2010
Oath - May 2010

Cheers!!!!

Congrats 14ksusha. I'm really happy.
Atique.

Hi 14ksusha... I am really happy for you... now enjoy your life.. I have a couple of questions though.. you did not mention any FPs done and you applied just like me in march and already have taken interview? Were you not asked for FPs? and what is your DO?
thanks and again Congrats.

Hi 14ksusha... I am really happy for you... now enjoy your life.. I have a couple of questions though.. you did not mention any FPs done and you applied just like me in march and already have taken interview? Were you not asked for FPs? and what is your DO?

In light of current events I am afraid that your application will take a while to sort out. They will triple check to ensure that you are not a security threat. Good luck.

14ksusha
CONGRATULATION...i don't know you BUT I FELT a big emotion just to read your post...what a long waiting...i want my citizenship also..i wish to have a time machine and travel to february of the next year(2011) so i can aply for my citizenship soon..lol
can i ask you what city do you live ? i live in new york and i think cities with more inmigrants take more time for the process..enjoy your freedom..blessings to you :D

Hi Lazer!!! Good to hear from you! I did receive a fingerprinting appointment notice sometime three weeks after I sent in my application. A week later later after the fingerprinting appointment, I received an interview notice. The interview was two weeks away! The whole thing took 6 weeks! I forgot to mention that during the interview i said to the officer that I was very impressed how quickly my application went through (especially after being stuck in the system for 10 years) and she said somehting like this: "well, we don't like to have people wait. Once you have a Green card, you are golden, very little needs to be done to complete your citizenship process". She was a sweetheart, may be I was lucky.

Thank you Atique!!! I am very happy, just like all of us who have been through so much and we can truly enjoy our freedom.

14ksusha
CONGRATULATION...i don't know you BUT I FELT a big emotion just to read your post...what a long waiting...i want my citizenship also..i wish to have a time machine and travel to february of the next year(2011) so i can aply for my citizenship soon..lol
can i ask you what city do you live ? i live in new york and i think cities with more inmigrants take more time for the process..enjoy your freedom..blessings to you :D

You will be there sooner than you think! Just don't get discouraged. February next year is around the corner, so start planning your celebratory trips!