• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

A quick question for anyone who might know:

Is it easier to get a Schengen tourist visa after getting a green card? It's no problem for me on an Australian passport but my with is Vietnamese which makes it quite prohibitive to travel and especially to travel at a moment's notice, which is what we like to do.

I'm wondering if anyone has immigrated from a country with less fortunate travel rights and has found it easier to travel Europe after getting a green card.

A quick question for anyone who might know:

Is it easier to get a Schengen tourist visa after getting a green card? It's no problem for me on an Australian passport but my with is Vietnamese which makes it quite prohibitive to travel and especially to travel at a moment's notice, which is what we like to do.

I'm wondering if anyone has immigrated from a country with less fortunate travel rights and has found it easier to travel Europe after getting a green card.

Has your wife ever had a problem getting a schengen visa before? We haven’t applied since we moved to the US, but we never had issues before, for a number of different countries, partly because (I think) the visa process is more stringent than somewhere like the US to begin with. Having a green card can presumably only help her case. Unfortunately unlike the US or U.K., it’s quite difficult to get a multi-year multiple entry schengen visa though (she’ll have to apply again for each trip) so you’ll still need some planning for trips. Also, she will still need to have all proof of travel, hotels etc to apply for a schengen and that won’t change just because she has a green card. So while she might be more assured of getting a visa from less worry about overstay, it’s still not going to be moments notice, spontaneous type travel.

Yeah, I thought so. Yeah never any issues but they have all been for sponsored business trips, no genuine tourism. Thanks for the info I guess we'll just have to plan carefully :)

Hi a question about change of address. I'm taking a training for 3 months on different state, then will be going on contract work for another 3 months on another state, do i have to notify my change of address everytime? what are the consequences of not notifying them? Thanks.

Hi a question about change of address. I'm taking a training for 3 months on different state, then will be going on contract work for another 3 months on another state, do i have to notify my change of address everytime? what are the consequences of not notifying them? Thanks.

Not if it’s of a temporary nature like you’ve described here. You will be maintaining and returning to your current/original address, right? If yes, there’s no need for a change of address update

I know that we are not allowed to vote since we are not citizen yet. What about give vite for education organization or non profits organizations?
I am really don’t know and these guys asked us to vote that they are doing good work and help other people for scholarship and it’s true so is it ok to vote for something like that?

Good day all, entered USA July received SSN, GC, drivers' license, temp job currently. I want to pursue my Masters next year does any one know how can I get financial aids or loans.

Good day all, entered USA July received SSN, GC, drivers' license, temp job currently. I want to pursue my Masters next year does any one know how can I get financial aids or loans.

When you get your college admission, you will need to set up your FAFSA Profile - that is what determines what kind of grants/financial aids or loans which may be available to you.

Hey everyone. I just moved to New York after getting approved in August.

After a pretty smooth process at the airport and waiting a month for things to arrive in the mail I received a letter from the Department of Immigration stating I had to pay $200 in order to receive my GC. Has anyone received something similar to this?

After a pretty smooth process at the airport and waiting a month for things to arrive in the mail I received a letter from the Department of Immigration stating I had to pay $200 in order to receive my GC. Has anyone received something similar to this?

There is a $220 USCIS Immigrant Fee payable before the permanent resident card will be issued. This fee is payable either before immigrating to the USA or upon entry.

Yup, you should have been told about this when you got your visa.
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-immigrant-fee

Hey everyone, I plan to enter the US on Januray 15th and leave on Jan 20th to activate my GC.
My visa expires on Feb 7th. I'll give my cousin's adress as mailing adress, and I was thinking how I can re-enter the US after my visa expiration If I don't have the GC physically ? Thank you !

Hey everyone, I plan to enter the US on Januray 15th and leave on Jan 20th to activate my GC.
My visa expires on Feb 7th. I'll give my cousin's adress as mailing adress, and I was thinking how I can re-enter the US after my visa expiration If I don't have the GC physically ? Thank you !

The visa in your passport will be stamped upon entry with an admission stamp that indicates you are a permanent resident and is known as an I-551 stamp. This then becomes a valid reentry document that is valid for 1 year from the date it was stamped. You can reenter the US with that until you receive your green card.

RVDM is kind of right, it’s not an I551 stamp though (that exists and is a different thing), if you look at the bottom of your immigrant visa it contains the i551 for one year on endorsement language - when the visa is stamped on entry (the endorsement) the visa itself then becomes a temporary I551 (the official name of the green card) for a year and is valid for everything you need a green card for, including re-entering the US.