The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

SusieQQQ

Is it absolutely necessary to get a credit card in US? I have worked hard to get rid of massive credit debt and currently fine just with a visa debit card so Im really hoping I’m not forced to get another credit card!
Yes, because a credit record is so critical here. You can get a prepaid one where you can only spend what you pay in first, or give the bank an Instruction not to raise the limit above a certain amount if you’re worried you’ll overspend.

Bob22

A pity these credit records don't seem to be shared? Mine will be spotless here in NZ. They cannot access these records in the US though I guess? (even though it's a visa)

SusieQQQ

A pity these credit records don't seem to be shared? Mine will be spotless here in NZ. They cannot access these records in the US though I guess? (even though it's a visa)
Sometimes Amex carries across but generally you have to start from scratch. You also have to actively maintain it - even if you could just import a perfect 850 score, if you took out no credit and didn’t repay anything as you went along that would erode over time.

Bob22

Thanks. So perhaps I should not pay for a new car up front but leave a bit as a loan just to get a bit of credit history? (even if it costs more). What a strange system, it almost seems to encourage debt.

It's a catch 22 - you won't get a loan without a credit rating! So you need to get a prepaid/secured card to build up your score over the first six months or so. It's impossible to do anything here (rent an apartment etc) without it. It's a bizarre situation coming from a lot of other countries alright

No you'll need it to be issued by your US bank once you are there get your social security number. Your credit rating is linked to the SS number so it's important that it is attached to the card you get!

SusieQQQ

Where do I get these prepaid cards from? From a local bank in my own country?
No, you’ll do it at a bank here. Ask for a secured card, capital one are pretty good with them. They’ll ask you to make a deposit upfront and then that is the “prepayment” . If you have a couple of cards and a say a car loan or something, and pay them off of course, you can build up a good rating pretty quickly. You might want to have a look ay the website creditkarma which has lots of tips too.

hello, i hope im in the right forum, i appreciate if you give your advise.
We have insurrance but if the hospital can help in the deductable by applying for financial assitance. is that consider public charge? it comes from the hospital.
thanks for your opinion.

hey everyone,

as many of you know, I entered the us on Jan 24th, 2019 to activate my green card. I left the us end of February (I was planning to stay for a long time but...). I'm planning to go back next week (but I'll move definitely in September). Do you think I can enter the US next week without problem ? thank you !