• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Most of the other banks (apart from BOA) will require a form of Id (passport is ok), proof of address and social.

Everyone requires a form of ID. It’s the other stuff that differs.
Many legal residents in the US don’t have SSNs (like H and O dependents) so it’s usually not required to have one to open a bank account, but not all frontline staff realize this. Will definitely be easier to wait for ssn.

Hello Everyone,

What documents are needed to set-up a bank account (regular checking account + debit card) as a new immigrant ?

If one just landed, and doesn't have a permanent address yet, is that a problem ? Is credit score needed ?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, i couldn't find a thread/post about this searching this forum.

Bank of America lets you open an account with just your passport and any address. I gave a hotel address which was accepted. The issue would be making sure you receive the mail at the address you gave - they post your debit card. No credit score or SSN needed.

Everyone requires a form of ID. It’s the other stuff that differs.
Many legal residents in the US don’t have SSNs (like H and O dependents) so it’s usually not required to have one to open a bank account, but not all frontline staff realize this. Will definitely be easier to wait for ssn.
I feel some of these staff are simply retarded! They didn't accept docs I had submitted as proof of address; which another branch a few blocks away happily accepted. All they had to do at the time was ask a superior. Sadly, the hardest thing I did in my first few months was opening a bank account, and that was partly because I had wanted to bank with a particular bank.
Now let me also chip this in: Some banks do deny opening checking accounts for bad credit scores.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.

Any feedback regarding your experience with bank of America ? recommended ?

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.

Any feedback regarding your experience with bank of America ? recommended ?
Definitely seems easiest to open an account at, and has a wide branch network. I don’t use them personally but I doubt day-to-day experience differs much between the banks.

You can open a checking and savings account without issue. The Americans won't care about your credit history for those accounts.

A credit card is a different matter. Your Australian credit history means nothing in the US unless you have an American Express or an HSBC account. Those two groups will recognize Australian credit histories in the US. Otherwise, you're building your credit history from scratch.

Hi All,

I am wondering how long it took on average this year to receive the GC in the mail after you enter the US territory?

Thanks!

Dear All,

I turned green a couple of days ago so now i can finally start planning my immigration. I didn`t want to plan anything until i saw a visa in my passport. Well, i am glad i am a lucky winner and all, but the thing is i don`t have anyone in the usa so i will move on my own with no help there from the start. My biggest concern is a place to live. I don`t have any credit history or what so ever. Can you please tell me what are the best options for newcomers with no credit history or someone who can help them settle there at the beginning? Also, they told me to search for a job on craiglist? Is there any other site or just that one? Is there any site for jobs that offer accomodation as well? Is there any useful info for newcomers, but real info? Those are my biggest concerns and i was hoping you can share some advice and thoughts on this. Thank you in advance. Cheers :)

Dear All,

I turned green a couple of days ago so now i can finally start planning my immigration. I didn`t want to plan anything until i saw a visa in my passport. Well, i am glad i am a lucky winner and all, but the thing is i don`t have anyone in the usa so i will move on my own with no help there from the start. My biggest concern is a place to live. I don`t have any credit history or what so ever. Can you please tell me what are the best options for newcomers with no credit history or someone who can help them settle there at the beginning? Also, they told me to search for a job on craiglist? Is there any other site or just that one? Is there any site for jobs that offer accomodation as well? Is there any useful info for newcomers, but real info? Those are my biggest concerns and i was hoping you can share some advice and thoughts on this. Thank you in advance. Cheers :)

Most people move to the US on their own, so your situation is not unusual, but we both know you’re exaggerating with the “I don’t have anyone in the USA” claim, you do have a friend whose address you used for your GC, right?

Anyway, I suggest you start by reading this particular Thread from page 1, it has a wealth of useful information I believe. 99% of new comers to the US have no US credit history, that’s something you gradually build on. There’s no government assistance to help newcomers settle down. You have to decide on which State/City you wish to start from or settle in, consider the type of job you’re looking for when making the decision on where to live.

Google “US job sites” - it should come up with different job sites outside of Craigslist.

Go through this forum link also:
https://forums.immigration.com/thre...ates-all-you-winners-mostly-settle-in.336666/
Also contains a lot of useful info from members.

Thank you for the useful information. I will take a look and for sure some solution will come up. As for the claim "we both know"... Yes i am pretty sure you are aware of my situation and who i have or don`t have. Arrogance is a great asset (i know for myself) in the field that is familiar to you and green card certainly is, but even then if used in proper dosage and way. If used in the singular specific situation you don`t know nothing about and you think you do, you just act stupid.

Dear All,

You could have a look at some renting/apartment groups on Facebook specific to the state you’d like to settle in. There are some ads from people looking for room mates. I haven’t used it myself but some don’t require credit history.

There are also some groups on Facebook (and probably other social media or LinkedIn) for expats in the US, people from your country already living in the US or even people who have won the green card lottery etc. if it’s your thing, could try making some friends there before you make the move over.

For jobs, you could start with indeed.com and google for some recruitment agencies based in the US.

Good luck!

You could have a look at some renting/apartment groups on Facebook specific to the state you’d like to settle in. There are some ads from people looking for room mates. I haven’t used it myself but some don’t require credit history.

There are also some groups on Facebook (and probably other social media or LinkedIn) for expats in the US, people from your country already living in the US or even people who have won the green card lottery etc. if it’s your thing, could try making some friends there before you make the move over.

For jobs, you could start with indeed.com and google for some recruitment agencies based in the US.

Good luck!
Dear Lottic,

Thanks. I will definitely try that.

Cheers

Also, they told me to search for a job on craiglist? Is there any other site or just that one?

Your questions are quite difficult to answer because they are so broad. As stated, any job any accommodation anywhere in the US is an option .... being more specific as to what you want would help.

Curious as to who this “they” is if you don’t know anyone in the US? Anyway a google of US job sites as already suggested by Sm1smom (and surely an obvious first step though ?) brings up a bunch of sites like monster, indeed, Glassdoor etc. If you have a LinkedIn profile you should already know it has tons of job listings. But with absolutely no idea what your qualifications or experience are it’s difficult to tell you where to look. If you’re looking at unskilled manual labor then your target job websites will likely be completely different than if you’re looking for white collar mid or senior level jobs for example.

Similarly you don’t mention what type of accommodation you want. Own apartment? Shared? Craigslist probably ok for the latter. Sites like Zillow have rentals too. Many cities have local websites for rentals. Be aware some ads are scams. Many reputable landlords will make allowances for lack of credit history if they get a bigger deposit or a few months advance rental, though some apartment complex managers have a rigid system and won’t. Again a tough question without knowing what type of accommodation you are looking for, and again something a google search could help on getting a start on where to look.

Thank you for the useful information. I will take a look and for sure some solution will come up. As for the claim "we both know"... Yes i am pretty sure you are aware of my situation and who i have or don`t have. Arrogance is a great asset (i know for myself) in the field that is familiar to you and green card certainly is, but even then if used in proper dosage and way. If used in the singular specific situation you don`t know nothing about and you think you do, you just act stupid.

Your post from August 18th, 2017 speaks for itself: (bold applied by me for emphasis):

Hi everyone.
I have a friend in USA, he is USA citizen. I have listed his adress where to send my green card, if i pass the interview and also the address where i would live. Should I or him prepare and fill some documentation and which one?
Thank you in advance.
~~Post moved from AOS Thread ~~

Mar 12, 2018:
Dear All,
... Also i have listed a friend of mine as a person where i will stay. He is american. He is willing to help me with accommodation but we doesn`t want to fill the legal affidavit of support forms. He says he can write a letter where he assures that he is willing to help me ...

Now I’m arrogant and I act stupid? I suppose I didn’t come across as arrogant and stupid when you were lapping up all the answers I provided to your questions from 2017, or when you originally sent me a PM to ask this question two days ago and I asked you to post your questions in the open forum?

I have a few choice words I could use in describing how you come across now, but I will take the high road and refrain from using them. Just remember, karma is a bitch like they say.

#Sm1out#

This is indeed a nearly perfect example of acting stupid through arrogance. Well done.

Should i waste more energy on you guys? Last message and i will seek for advice elsewhere... Yes, AGAIN, i am aware that you know if my situation back from 2017 changed or not in the last couple of months... #clever... High road and right attitude is when you avoid confrotation and give the useful information, and you just answered the way i expected you to do... #clever2 "IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a Volunteer Moderator - one of you. The information and assistance I provide is not for any profit motive. I am just trying to help to the best of my knowledge, information and belief. If you rely upon any advice or information I give or any actions I take in the community forums, you do so at your own risk. I am not a lawyer. So act accordingly.? - This is what they have written under and the most energy they waste is to feed the ego and just be arrogant as most of their responses are. Great job lads, truly remarkable work! P.S. You should step up your game, as they say in my country "for biggest Pope in the village there is always a bigger pope"... Now step aside and let people share their experience. #overandout #mrsupizdumaterinu