Strange Interview experience

gcWAC127

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview at the San Jose office today. I took the interview letter with the originals of the documents I submitted with the N400 form. The IO went over the N400 form with me. The IO asked me to provide him with copy of the my first marriage certificate, I told him I did not have the certificate but showed him the Divorce Decree whose copy I had sent with the N400 application. He then asked me to produce a copy of my second marriage certificate that I did not have as the document checklist did not include this. He gave me a sheet indicating that I had passed the test but a decision on my naturalization is yet to be made and asked me to drop off the copy of the marriage certificate later during the day ,which I did, at that time he told me that he was going to enter all the details on his computer and a decision would be made after a background check is complete. I am a little puzzled over the way the whole process went, has anyone has similar experiences?

That's ok. I wouldn't worry much. It happens that an IO might insist on a particular document and then it has to be sent by mail or dropped or anything they say. The background check is done for everyone. I think in general I see it on a positive light. You'll get your oath letter, that's my take.

What background check? Isn't the background check supposed to be done after the fingerprint appointment and before the interview :| ?

I guess the IBIS check, this one is usually fast, this is separate from fingerprint and name check that are done usually before the interview.

My case is based on 5 years PR not marriage based which is why I did not take my marriage certificate

Me and my wife applied based on 5 year rule. She was asked for marriage certificate at intervoew, while I wasn't. Every IO has their own reasoning for asking for documentation even if it's not relevant to your case.

Whats the expected Oath Letter time after interview is done? Is it similar across all field offices or is each field office different? My field office was San Jose

Hey BOB why did it take 5 months for you from FP to Interview???

He applied during the now-infamous catastrophe that was the summer 2007 backlog. When the USCIS announced the fee hike, eligible applicants who didn't bother applying for citizenship before rushed to send in their applications. It took 3 months just to get a receipt during that time period. Take a look at my timeline, the same exact thing happened to me and many others.

How many background checks they need to do???? I think the FBI one should be enough since it should have everything.....Jesus!

Can you please tell what is IBIS check? Thank you

Better than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interagency_Border_Inspection_System

and some other info from CBP

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/admissibility/authority_to_search.xml

Many travelers wonder if CBP is alerted when an inbound passenger has a warrant for their arrest issued. Yes, CBP is alerted. In the air passenger environment, air carriers transmit passenger information to CBP through the Advance Passenger Information System (APIS). CBP officers also rely on the Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) to determine which individuals to target for secondary examination upon arrival in the United States.

CBP, along with law enforcement and regulatory personnel from 20 other Federal agencies or bureaus, use IBIS. Some of these agencies are the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Interpol, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives, the Internal Revenue Service, the Coast Guard, the Federal Aviation Administration, Secret Service, and the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service. Information from IBIS is also shared with the Department of State for use by Consular Officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

IBIS assists the majority of the traveling public with expeditious clearance at ports of entry while allowing the border enforcement agencies to focus their limited resources on potential non-compliant travelers. IBIS provides the law enforcement community with access to computer-based enforcement files of common interest. It also provides access to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and allows its users to interface with all 50 states via the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems.

IBIS resides on the Treasury Enforcement Communications System at the CBP Data Center. Field level access is provided by an IBIS network with more than 24,000 computer terminals. These terminals are located at air, land, and sea ports of entry.

IBIS keeps track of information on suspected individuals, businesses, vehicles, aircraft, and vessels. IBIS terminals can also be used to access NCIC records on wanted persons, stolen vehicles, vessels or firearms, license information, criminal histories, and previous Federal inspections. The information is used to assist law enforcement and regulatory personnel.

He applied during the now-infamous catastrophe that was the summer 2007 backlog.....................Take a look at my timeline, the same exact thing happened to me and many others.
I'm one of those "many others".

He applied during the now-infamous catastrophe that was the summer 2007 backlog. When the USCIS announced the fee hike, eligible applicants who didn't bother applying for citizenship before rushed to send in their applications. It took 3 months just to get a receipt during that time period. Take a look at my timeline, the same exact thing happened to me and many others.

Thanks Vorpal for clarifying that.....man that was quite a wait

Oh yeah, the wait was ridiculous. It is, however, all behind us now. Let's hope it doesn't happen again in the future.