San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Congrats to all people getting their ILs.

I think San Jose (since its slow) ask for an option of giving the passport and naturalization certificate together as its easily 4-6 weeks wait between Interview and Oath. That way, you don't have to go to postoffice in hurry to get passport. May be they can charge $60 extra and lot of folks will be willing to take that route -- also you never have to loose sight of your Naturalization certificate.

Maybe someone taking up job with USCIS can raise this question :cool:

Congrats to all people getting their ILs.
Maybe someone taking up job with USCIS can raise this question :cool:

How much pay do they give? I don't mind taking a job at USCIS after I become naturalized.

I am bit tired of my hectic Hi-Tech schedule anyways, I could use some free time.

Finger Print Done Today

I had to take the baby i cared for with me today so my husband came with to occupy the child while i was taking my finger print. It took about 20 minutes from starting to finish and about 15 minutes were for the actual fingerprint. Some of the images were not clear enough to the officer and he retake several scans to make sure it was ok.

Very great Service.

P.S: there were 3 or 4 people trying to get in with the appointment letters but wrong date (i guess they are trying to get it done early). Even thought the office wasn't busy (I got called immediately after received my number and there were only my husband, myself, and the child) the guard would not let anyone else in.

GC process for spouse

...Yesterday spent whole day arranging documents for my wife and finally sending her I-130 and I-485 application....

Omorpheus,

I was under the impression that a citizen first files I-130 for the spouse, and files I-485 after the I-130 is approved. From your writing, it seems like I am mistaken about the process. Could you (and others in the know) help me understand the process?

BTW, this forum does not seem to be the right place for this question. I will be happy to post the question or pursue the answer in another form. Please suggest an alternative forum.

Thanks.

Omorpheus,

I was under the impression that a citizen first files I-130 for the spouse, and files I-485 after the I-130 is approved. From your writing, it seems like I am mistaken about the process. Could you (and others in the know) help me understand the process?

BTW, this forum does not seem to be the right place for this question. I will be happy to post the question or pursue the answer in another form. Please suggest an alternative forum.

Thanks.

smurthy,

A GC holder has to first file I-130, wait for its approval and then wait for the priority date to get current and then can file I-485.

A spouse of US Citizen does not have any visa number availability requirement and hence can concurrently file I-485 and I-130. That way, you can get an EAD and Advance Parole in 3 months and hopefully GC in 4-6 months. That is why I waited for 1.5 years to apply for my wife.

But however, somehow my luck is not on my side. When I was about to apply for N-400, it used to take 3-5 months to get Citizenship. For me it took 9 months and 1 day -- long enough to have a baby :D.

When kkboy (who was very active member in this forum) got his Citizenship and he applied for his wife's I-130 and I-485, I think the time was around 3-4 months and now its back to 6 months. So, am keeping my fingers crossed and hope the fee hike of I-485 from $355 to $1010 may produce some effect.

Feel free to ask me any question you might have or can join some thread under: http://www.immigrationportal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Good luck.

Omorpheus

Hi,
Does the Oath letter come as a separate letter than the IV letter. I heard sometimes Oath can be done on the same day as Interview day. If that is the case when will we get the passport.
So in my case after the interview 09/06/07,when will the total process be completed. thnx.

Case Status

I'm just curious about the online case status of all the applicants who received their ILs yesterday (or today). Is the case status still showing 'pending and received....' msg?

Huracan or any other expert please help to understand

Hi,

It has been almost 7 months every time I called USCIS they told me my status is pending and sometimes for NC and sometimes unknown reasons. Last week, I was succesfull to talk with an Immigration Officer instead of Information Officer... He just told me that my case is under review and this note added 5 (now 10 days) days ago (should be Sep 14th 2007) and no longer is pending. He also said that once they done their review then they will schedule an interview or let me know what is their decision. Someone told me it takes around 2 weeks for this kind reviews.

Did anyone hear anything like this before?

ps:this is a SFO case not SJ sorry for posting here but try to find an answer.

Thanks
Zegon

do i have to withdraw other I-485

smurthy,

A GC holder has to first file I-130, wait for its approval and then wait for the priority date to get current and then can file I-485.

A spouse of US Citizen does not have any visa number availability requirement and hence can concurrently file I-485 and I-130. That way, you can get an EAD and Advance Parole in 3 months and hopefully GC in 4-6 months. That is why I waited for 1.5 years to apply for my wife.

But however, somehow my luck is not on my side. When I was about to apply for N-400, it used to take 3-5 months to get Citizenship. For me it took 9 months and 1 day -- long enough to have a baby :D.

When kkboy (who was very active member in this forum) got his Citizenship and he applied for his wife's I-130 and I-485, I think the time was around 3-4 months and now its back to 6 months. So, am keeping my fingers crossed and hope the fee hike of I-485 from $355 to $1010 may produce some effect.

Feel free to ask me any question you might have or can join some thread under: http://www.immigrationportal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

hi there,

My husband has applied for 485 and EAD in August2007 thru work,i had applied for his GC too as a spouse of GC person 4 yrs back...that one is way backlogged.....so do we have to withdraw all of these before we apply for him as a spouse of Citizen when i get my citizenship end of this year???
any wise words??:rolleyes:

hi there,

My husband has applied for 485 and EAD in August2007 thru work,i had applied for his GC too as a spouse of GC person 4 yrs back...that one is way backlogged.....so do we have to withdraw all of these before we apply for him as a spouse of Citizen when i get my citizenship end of this year???
any wise words??:rolleyes:

Just call NBC (National Benefits Center) once you get your citizenship -- they may ask you to send your Naturalization certificate copy and may be the copy of your pending I-485 and approved I-130 application. They will upgrade the application to IR if spouse of citizen. I don't know about withdrawing but he will get his GC faster this route than his employment based -- which may take 2-3 years min. while spouse of USC will take less than 6 months. Your I-130 would have already been approved, so it may take 2-3 months only. Also, he will become eligible to apply for citizenship in 3 years :) Good luck.

I don't know if two 485 applications will delay his GC but may delay his citizenship as I read in one of the forums here.

Requesting IRS Transcripts

Do we need to request transcripts for self and spouse separately or should it include info for both?

For all those who want to request IRS transcripts, I am reposting some info provided by "dckaraja" in the "...documents required for interview" thread:

"Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T If you want photocopy.Fill out form 4506T and mail it in.There is a charge of 39$ per year and can take upto 60days.If you just want regular transcript it is free and accepted by all gov offices.
Call 1-800-829-1040 Option 2/2/Enter SSN/3/Street address for you current address/1/year eg 2006/ 1 to accept/1 again to confirm/Option 2 for another year/1 to accept/ 1 to confirm.You can ask upto 5 yrs.Good luck all"

Do we need to request transcripts for self and spouse separately or should it include info for both?

For all those who want to request IRS transcripts, I am reposting some info provided by "dckaraja" in the "...documents required for interview" thread:

"Request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T If you want photocopy.Fill out form 4506T and mail it in.There is a charge of 39$ per year and can take upto 60days.If you just want regular transcript it is free and accepted by all gov offices.
Call 1-800-829-1040 Option 2/2/Enter SSN/3/Street address for you current address/1/year eg 2006/ 1 to accept/1 again to confirm/Option 2 for another year/1 to accept/ 1 to confirm.You can ask upto 5 yrs.Good luck all"

If you filed the taxes as "Married filing jointly", the transcript will contain both your names and you don't need to request it separately. However, its optional to get the transcripts as they can easily find out if you paid taxes on time or not :eek:

Today I called Cust Svc (800) 375 – 5283 again, I explained my situation why I am currently out of the country and therefore could not go to an Infopass and so the information officer got authorization from the supervisor to transfer me to an immigration officer.

The immigration officer said a notice for my interview was sent out on Sep/17 and my interview is scheduled for Nov/1. !!!

My case status online is still showing the same though
Application Type: N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Current Status: Case received and pending.

As Huracan and others had said, sometimes the case status online never changes...