San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

finished oath at SJ on 09/27

went to SJ uscis office at 8.20 am, and was out by 9.30 am.

there were about 70..80 people.

=============================
my wife had wrong name on oath notice letter;
but certificate was correct.

but, when i checked mailbox in the evening;
there was 1 more oath notice letter with the correct name.

i guess i will ignore this 2nd notice letter.

=============================

also, do we need to inform social security office of the change in status to u.s. citizen ??

--
thanks,
leo4

DO : San Jose
01/10/07: N-400 Mailed to CSC
01/18/07: Application arrived at USCIS, as per USPS
01/22/07: Cheque got cashed
01/31/07: Received Recipt, Notice date 01/19/2007
02/05/07: Received FP Notice Date
02/20/07: FP Appointment
06/25/07: Received Interview Notice Date
08/28/07: Interview Date
08/31/07: Oath letter Notice Date
09/05/07: Received Oath Notice
09/27/07: Oath Ceremony at Monterrey road office
09/27/07: Applied for u.s. passport at p.o.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations :) Yes, I think you should go to the social security administration office to let them know you're a citizen now. I would wait until you get your passports back and then go with your wife to update your social security records for you and your wife (well, you can go together or at different times that's your choice).

Oath will be reschuduled at later date

Received Notice (I-797) mentioning failed to attend the oath ceremony and it will be rescheduled at a later date time, location. Not sure it is because of my letter sent or automated to reschedule if the person did not showup for the oath ceremony.

So far did not receive the Oath for the Interview passed on 8/8/07. I was expecting to make it for Sep 07 but so far no sign even for Oct.

Hope you get your oath letter soon loveduser for your 8/8/07 interview. I had my interview on 8/15/07 and am still waiting for the oath letter (my case went into supervisor review).

On the other hand, my wife's interview was also on 8/15 and she became citizen Sep 6th. So, service from USCIS is fast in some cases.

Received Notice (I-797) mentioning failed to attend the oath ceremony and it will be rescheduled at a later date time, location. Not sure it is because of my letter sent or automated to reschedule if the person did not showup for the oath ceremony.

So far did not receive the Oath for the Interview passed on 8/8/07. I was expecting to make it for Sep 08 but so far no sign even for Oct.

avg_joe1234,

The dates for your wife's passport look interesting.

09/06/07: Oath (USCIS Office)
09/06/07: Passpt applied, REGULAR at Santa Clara PO
09/18/07: Passpt Rcvd

Did your wife apply for her passport on Sep. 6th and receive her passport on Sep. 18th? This without expediting the application?

N-400 San Jose

Hi Huracan,

I applied on 03.21.2007. Any idea when I will get the IL. Your predictions in the past have been very accurate

Thanks
Mumbaicar

Hi Mumbaicar,

I haven't followed the trends that closely, except for seeing which PD is current now for interview letters. My best guess is that perhaps next month, by the 20th or so.

Good luck :)

Hi Huracan,

I applied on 03.21.2007. Any idea when I will get the IL. Your predictions in the past have been very accurate

Thanks
Mumbaicar

Oath Letter

Congratulations on receiving the Oath letter. Could you pls post your timeline or add a signature?

Thanks.

Do not remember exact time line, but submitted application December middle, FP - Jan End, Interview - July 25, Oath - Oct 24 scheduled, Wife had same timeline except Oath - Sep 19.

N-400 for Self & Spouse
3/1/07: Applied
3/7/07: Rejected because of incorrect fee
3/9/07: InfoPass Appt
3/10/07: Mailed N-400 apps again
3/26/07: Receipt date
5/31/07: FP Done on Appt date
10/1/07: Waiting for IL :)

I see in the above threads, for application dates of March, people have already received Interview letters. But, USCIS site says: Jan 12, 2007 as date of applications being currently processed. I am little confused - if I can expect interview letter any time soon.

Secondly, my kids Indian passports are expiring on Jan 1, 2008. Is it worth renewing them now? The way I see the others on this forum got their interview letters, mine is around the corner too. And if everything goes well, I can expect US Passports in Feb'08. Are we required to surrender "ONLY VALID" passports, at the time of oath? Are "Recently Expired" passports okay?

Appreciate any help with these doubts....

y4u, I think you can expect it in a few days, middle of the month, or early next month as

1. people with early March receipt dates just got their IL mid Sep and yours about 0.5 to 1 month after that.
2. people are saying CIS sends out IL twice a month (mid and end)

BTW, why did you say we need to surrender passports?
I thought we could have dual citizenship? Or perhaps India does not allow that?

y4u

There is some confusion about the role of the passports in the Naturalization process.

The Naturalization Interview is designed for the USCIS to review and finalize the application you have submitted. From this point of view, you may bring to the Interview additional documents as supporting evidence of your application.

For example, you may consider bringing a copy of your rental lease agreement and utility bills to show that you reside at the address you mentioned on the N-400.

When you bring current and expired passports, it is as supporting evidence that you were outside the country during the time periods you mentioned in your application. From this point of view, what matters is that you bring along the passports, valid or expired, where there have been stamps showing when you wnet to country A, country B, country C and back into the United States. This does not mean that you have to renew an expiring passport. I believe there have been cases of applicants whose passports had expired before the interview.

If you decide to renew your kids' Indian passports, please make sure that you ask the issuing authority (Indian Consulate) for the renewed passports to leave you their expired passports - they would then stamp all of the pages with a stamp "Cancelled", making them de facto unusable for travel.

As far as surrender of the foreign passport to the United States when taking the Oath, it used to be the policy of the United States a long time ago, but I believe it has been changed following a Supreme Court decision. It no longer is required that an applicant surrenders any foreign passport for the Oath.

P.S.: I am not a lawyer, so please act accordingly.

ahsieh,

This answer is not appropriate for this forum, but I write since you have posed the question here.

I thought we could have dual citizenship? Or perhaps India does not allow that?

India does not allow dual citizenship.

An Indian national that takes up citizenship of another country is required to surrender his/her Indian passport to the nearest Indian consulate immediately after accepting another citizenship. The consulate returns the passport after canceling it.

A person of Indian origin can apply to become an "Overseas Citizen of India". This cleverly named status simply gives the applicant a "U" visa which grants seveal special rights not available through any other visa category. The visa is stamped in the applicant's non-Indian passport. A special card is also issued, but an Indian passport is not issued.

Hello,

I know this is not exactly N-400 information, but I think that in the same way we post some passport comments in this San Jose thread this information is also relevant for people in Santa Clara county. I registered to vote right after the ceremony on August 22nd, 2007 and received my voter registration card today. That's more than a month later, so USCIS doesn't have the monopoly of slowness around this area ;) On the other hand the registration date shown on the card is August 24th, and it says something about valid to vote on or after August 30th. Anyway, it's good that there hasn't been any election between August 30th and October 2nd ;) By the way, the santa clara county registrar of voters website doesn't have much info. For old timers still around, do you know if the card needs to be taken to the polling for voting, or is just an ID sufficient? I would assume that the polling site has a list of registered voters that can be checked against the ID and that the card is not needed. Anyway, for people who might be interested in knowing the card is a piece of thick paper, not as thick as a postard, but thicker than printer paper. It has some instructions/explanations on the back, printed in an old style font, like a document from the 1950s.

There are some contradictions in the card. At the back it says that is valid for elections 15 days later than the date shown on the front. However, on the front there are two dates, one date is the registration date and the other one says that the card is valid after such date, as mentioned a bit earlier in my message. The point is that the registration date is not 15 days earlier than the date it says I'm eligible to vote. Again, this seems a moot point because there hasn't been any election recently. I wonder what happens to people who want to participate in an important election and have to scratch their heads about being able or not to vote. Again, I would guess that the polling place is the ultimate authority to decide if one can or cannot vote, but what do I know?

PS: I would guess that if the car

Hope I can register before 2008 Election :)

No sign of Oath letters for both of us so far. My guess, we should receive the letters on 10/25/07 for 11/22/07 Oath(Just a guess and not sure if there will be a oath ceremony on 11/22/07 as it will be close to thanksgiving weekend).

If we miss the dates then we should go for infopass I believe.