San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Annie-SanJose,

Congratulations! :)

It is my observation in this forum that most people who post before interview letter has arrived, or oath letter usually get things at the appropriate time. However, it is natural that many people post for the first time in this forum when they have an issue or a big delay so it creates an impression that the percentage of complications is very high. I think the percentage of complications is small, it just gets amplified in the forum because the nature of these type of forums is to receive messages from people who have issues. That's why I personally prefer to follow the cases of people who have been posting from an early stage, before knowing that their cases had any issue it gives a better estimate of where things are.

My 2 cents.

It seems that at least in N-400, fingerprint date has little or no bearing on the timing of the interview. If my memory serves me well, at the time I did I-485 it made a difference on approval date, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in N-400 interview timing, at least in San Jose.

Congratulations Omorpheus. (I know it is almost a week that you became a citizen). Missed my Oath (19th sep). I have just returned from my trip. I have sent the letter and hope they have received it on 18th. Hope they are going to automatically schedule it again and soon.

Thinking of waiting for next month oath letters for Nov Oath and if I have not received it by then I should go for an infopass.

loveduser

The M-476 Guide to Naturalization does not suggest that the DO will reschedule your Oath unless you take action:
Q20: What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?
A20: If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) that you received to your local USCIS office. Include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local USCIS office will reschedule you and send you a new “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) to tell you when your ceremony will be.

Congratulations Omorpheus. (I know it is almost a week that you became a citizen). Missed my Oath (19th sep). I have just returned from my trip. I have sent the letter and hope they have received it on 18th. Hope they are going to automatically schedule it again and soon.

Thinking of waiting for next month oath letters for Nov Oath and if I have not received it by then I should go for an infopass.

Thanks loveduser. Good to see you back. Hope you don't have to wait till Nov and you get your oath letter for Oct sometime this week ...

Good luck ...

Congratulations!!!

So FP had no bearing on the Interview date. Your PD is 2 days before mine and interview is 4 business days before mine.

Actual date of finger printing does not matter for interview; what matters is the FP schedule date. That is still following the 6month rule for San Jose.

Congrats to March applicants who have started receiving IL's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks loveduser. Good to see you back. Hope you don't have to wait till Nov and you get your oath letter for Oct sometime this week ...

Good luck ...

Thanks omorpheus. Aug 8th interview's Oath could not make it to Sep 19th and assuming the sep 18th letter does not give enough time for them to schedule it for Oct but who knows if we are lucky both of us (spouse and me) can do it next month.

Hope you got your passport or you should be getting in next couple of weeks. Good luck.

Since my case is slightly different as I have postponed my Oath date I will be posting to this forum as I get the updates on both of our cases listed in the signature.

Thanks and congratulations

Omorpheus,

I have now re-read the forms and see things differently than I did before. Thanks for your help.

...When I was about to apply for N-400, it used to take 3-5 months to get Citizenship. For me it took 9 months and 1 day -- long enough to have a baby :D....

Good one. Congratualtions on becoming a father (assuming you meant to say that you did become a father), and on becoming a citizen.

Just FYI. My interview is on October 10th at the Monterey Highway office. It would probably be mid-late November before I take oath. My PD is Feb. 21st. That would mean a total time of about 9 months for me as well.

Mailled N-400 application recently?

Anyone mailled his/her N-400 application recently? Did you received a notice letter?

I've mailled my wife application to Laguna Niguel 1 month ago (~8/28) but still have not received anythign from them (I check and the check has not been cashed yet).

Roger

Omorpheus,

I have now re-read the forms and see things differently than I did before. Thanks for your help.

Good one. Congratualtions on becoming a father (assuming you meant to say that you did become a father), and on becoming a citizen.

Just FYI. My interview is on October 10th at the Monterey Highway office. It would probably be mid-late November before I take oath. My PD is Feb. 21st. That would mean a total time of about 9 months for me as well.

Thanks smurthy. Yes, I recently became both a father and a citizen :)

Its sad to see that SJ is still having backlogs inspite of the fee increases. Hope it gets settled by this year end and they speed up the process next year.

Any one with Priority Date after 3/14 received Interview letter?

Hi,

I did not get Interview letter yet and I am wondering any one with Priority date on or after 3/14 received letter?

Thank You
- Chips

Hi,

I did not get Interview letter yet and I am wondering any one with Priority date on or after 3/14 received letter?

Thank You
- Chips

I think someone mentioned on the forum that they are sent twice a month (16th/17th and then towards the end of the month). So you should see something in the next few days.

Congratulations :) I was kind of wondering what was going on with the oath letters. I am sure we should see quite a few more postings today.