San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Oath experience at San Jose - September 19th

I had my Oath ceremony today at the Campbell Heritage Theater in San Jose. Murphy's law prevailed and I had to rush from a meeting at 12:30 to reach Heritage Theater at 12:50PM. When I reached there I saw a long line of folks with couple of tents. Took me 10 minutes to find a parking slot which I considered very lucky. The line kept moving steadily and soon I came near the entrance. I handed the letter and showed my GC and they wrote a number on the letter and asked me to go inside the theater. Aparently they seat the would be citizens based on the number written on the oath letter. Insiade they were 3-4 officers in the aisle and I was asked to approach one of them (based on the number). The officer took my GC and the Oath letter and showed me my seat. Rest of the ceremony is exactly as it was described by Huracan and others so I will not belabor the details. Interesting things that I observed today were:

3 sisters all of them getting their citizenship sang the Star Spangled Banner
One of the folks, Indian lady led all of us in taking the oath of allegiance
The District Officer Frank C asked some interesting questions to the audience (stressing the importance of becoming US Citizens). All of them were related to famous personalities who became US Citizens. The first question he asked was to know if anyone in the audience drove a Buick (wanted to tell them about David Dubar Buick - a scottsman who became a US Citizen) and it was interesting to see that no one had driven one!!

I filled in my voter registration during the ceremony (it is not required) and gave it to the folks while exiting out of the theater

Took me 20 minutes to get out of the parking lot.

The whole thing took 2.5 hours.

I like to thank all of you on this forum (as they say during the Grammy's..too long a list to thank for!!) for helping me on this journey. Its been slightly over a year (approx 13 months) for me so for those of you waiting in the name check etc do not despair. Your day shall come too!!!

Now for the passport (somehow the Naturalization Certificate is not giving the feeling of becoming a US Citizen..maybe the passport will!!!).

It's always hard to say, but it seems that just plain supervisor step should add two or three weeks delay, then depending of whether you're scheduled for Campbell or one of the ceremonies in Monterey Rd it could take more or less to get the oath letter. Hopefully you'll get your oath letter soon. I would think that letters for next Campbell ceremony should start showing soon.

Good luck.

My wife and I both had our interviews done on 8/15. She is now a citizen with a passport :)

I have not heard back from USCIS on my oath date; did an Infopass on 9/4 and the officer mentioned that it is waiting in supervisor review.

Mayger, you also had a similar situation, did you get your oath date?

Huracan and others: Any guesses as to when I will get my oath letter?

Don't worry too much about this, for some people it changes, and it is a good sign, but for some others it never changes all the way through naturalization. I hope you get your interview letter soon.

My status is still the same Current Status: Case received and pending. :-( I surely hope it changes soon.

Thanks Huracan. I will keep my fingers crossed.

It's always hard to say, but it seems that just plain supervisor step should add two or three weeks delay, then depending of whether you're scheduled for Campbell or one of the ceremonies in Monterey Rd it could take more or less to get the oath letter. Hopefully you'll get your oath letter soon. I would think that letters for next Campbell ceremony should start showing soon.

Good luck.

stuck in supervisor review

My wife and I both had our interviews done on 8/15. She is now a citizen with a passport :)

I have not heard back from USCIS on my oath date; did an Infopass on 9/4 and the officer mentioned that it is waiting in supervisor review.

Mayger, you also had a similar situation, did you get your oath date?

Huracan and others: Any guesses as to when I will get my oath letter?

avg_joe1234,

My case was still in supervisor review last time I check via Infopass on 9/13. I think it is probably still in supervisor review today. The officer at Infopass told me my finger print and FBI check are all passed - it's just waiting for supervisor's review. I asked why it takes so long and still not done with the review while several friends of mine had their oath date set up during their interview, and she told me everyone is different.

I really don't know what's going on - all I can do is wait and see what happens. I will set up another Infopass on Nov 7 if I don't receive oath letter by then because that'll be 90 days from my Aug 7 interview date.

Please let me know if you receive your oath letter.

Congratulations.
Great to see the March folks are seeing their case status disappear.
punk, we are close.
Wondering when are the March folks schedule for their interviews.

Mayger,

Thanks for the response. In my infopass appointment on 9/4, the officer had told me that finger print and FBI name check are ok too. When I had asked her, how long it takes for supervisor review - she said, "depends on the workload of the supervisor - best case is 2 weeks".

I will keep this forum posted on progress.

avg_joe1234,

My case was still in supervisor review last time I check via Infopass on 9/13. I think it is probably still in supervisor review today. The officer at Infopass told me my finger print and FBI check are all passed - it's just waiting for supervisor's review. I asked why it takes so long and still not done with the review while several friends of mine had their oath date set up during their interview, and she told me everyone is different.

I really don't know what's going on - all I can do is wait and see what happens. I will set up another Infopass on Nov 7 if I don't receive oath letter by then because that'll be 90 days from my Aug 7 interview date.

Please let me know if you receive your oath letter.

Finally a US Citizen

omorpheus and others. Good luck in today's ceremonies at the Campbell Theater :)

Thanks Huracan.

Yesterday at 10:46am, I finally became a US Citizen at Campbell Heritage Center. The ceremony started around 10:10 and was over by 11:10. The ceremony proceeded exactly as described by Huracan and others, so have nothing more to add. As advised by others in this forum, I did buy the folder to store the Naturalization certificate for 10 bucks as its too precious (a replacement certificate takes about an year and aroun 300-400 bucks). As told by kbalabha75, the feeling of being US citizen has not sunk in with just the certificate. Maybe after getting the passport, it may !!! :p

Yesterday spent whole day arranging documents for my wife and finally sending her I-130 and I-485 application. Went to apply for passport yesterday and the office only accepted applications by appointments on Wednesday, so went there this morning again to apply. I applied routine service as I saw some people get passports as early as 2 weeks and typically around 4-6 weeks. My son's expedited passport took 2 weeks, so thought of not spending extra 60 bucks just for getting it 2-3 weeks ahead of time. I don't plan to travel out of US till my wife gets her GC, which will be around 3-6 months.

I will still be hanging around in Family based GC section and sometimes here and passport section.

I really thank Huracan, kkboy and everyone in this forum who provided much needed help and information.

Good luck everyone ...

Congratulations omorpheus! :) I know that the feeling of citizenship takes a while to sink in. I am going through the same phase. Good luck with your wife's adjustment of status.

Update: Rcvd IL for self and spouse. Scheduled for 11/06

Annie, cma38, others please update when you rcv.

Man!!! Looks like even though very slow, SJ is predicatble like clock work.
Ahemm... looks like what I said was true (You will recieve IL between 18th and 24th)

Man!!! Looks like even though very slow, SJ is predicatble like clock work.
Ahemm... looks like what I said was true (You will recieve IL between 18th and 24th)

Thanks for you prediction. :cool:

Even though SJ is predictable, it's getting slower and slower. Last year one of my friends completed the whole process (including passport) within 6 months from San Jose. As you can see from my timeline, it will be 8 months to my interview from the time of filing.

Last edited by a moderator: