San Francisco Regional DOL Tracker - Old (Archived on 09/23/2004)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it legal to have a part time job?

Hi,

I have a question, which was in my mind for many years.
Is it possible to work on a part time job(or home based jobs)other than software using SSN, if i am on a H1B visa and applied for GC?. Is this legal? Will this affect the GC processing at any stage?

To my knowledge, when you have a H1, you must work for the company who holds the H1 in the position mentioned in the approval notice and for salary not less than the salary mentioned in the approval notice.
But you can have multiple H1s and work for multiple jobs for the respective employers.
If you do all the above, and then work on a home based job, then I guess it may be legal.
Without doing any of the above, if you work on home based or any other job not mentioned in the H1, I am sure it is illegal. But as long as no body catches you, it is fine.
More over, some times during later stages of I-485, you should show your pay stubs, to prove that you a legally stayins in US. Please look into the link:
http://murthy.com/news/n_alwkee.html
Gurus should correct me, if I am wrong.

Meera Maria said:
Hi,

Is it possible to work on a part time job(or home based jobs)other than software using SSN, if i am on a H1B visa and applied for GC?. Is this legal? Will this affect the GC processing at any stage?

Niwan,
By mistake i wrote 415.975.4617 ( 1, 1). As gp111 mentioned the correct number for statuses is: 415.975.4601 (1,1)

Nirvan said:
Hi Endless Wait,
Please give me some more details to get the data from AVM.
I called 415.975.4617, pressed 1, pressed 1
But unless I know many case numbers or company ph no from non CA state, I can't get the data.
Please let me know how did you find out that dec 2003 case processed on July 19th 2004.
Thanks in advance
Nirvan
[/QUOTE]

Only if you have second H1 for that work.. one can have multiple H1Bs...

Meera Maria said:
Hi,

Any approvals for Feb'03 ?

Hi,

Any approvals for Feb'03 cases at SFO DOL for California state? I wonder, why they are stuck in Jan'03 for long long time ....:(

Thanks

Labor Certification Backlog Reduction Regulation Release Imminent

From immigration-law.com

• AILA has learned that the DOL will release this regulation soon. AILA has also obtained a copy of the regulation which will be released as the Interim Final Regulation. The regulation will be implemented in 30 days from the date of publication in the federal register. The regulation is very short and does not go into the details. The skeleton of the backlog reduction are as follows:
    • The Chief of Foreign Labor Certification, William Carlson, is designated as the "National Certifying Officer." This Officer has two authorities under the regulation:
      • Determination of which existing cases at the state offices and the regional certifying officers offices should be transferred to the national reduction processing centers, involving obviously the decision to transfer when, how, in what sequences, etc. The regulation provides that the details on this issue be stipulated and released in the form of "Directives.
      • National Certifying Officer will perform adjudication of certain cases which the processing centers deemed necessary because of the issues involved. These cases will be handled and decided by the National Certifying Officer.
    • The backlog reduction centers will perform the jobs of the current state offices and the regional certifying officers offices for the cases which are transferred to the backlog reduction center. In this regard, the backlog reduction center changes from the current two-tier (state-regional) system to one-tier system just like the upcoming PERM program operation.

• The details have yet to be developed and announced by the DOL as to how this regulation will be actually implemented. It is, however, important to learn that the backlog reduction job will go into operation in a month or so from now. Good news, indeed.

Clarification on 7th year extension rule

Folks,

Can u please help me out. Currently I am working for Company A. I have filed LC from this company and it is back to SESA from DOL with three options letter.

I know I can extend my H1 beyond 6yrs (in terms of 1yr) if I am working for the same company and my GC is not approved with in 6yrs.

What I want to know is, in my 6th yr if I join another company who is willing to do LC substitution can I still apply for the 7th yr extension while 140 and 485 are pending.

hi gp11, first of all thanks for such helpful posts on this board..
I have a quick question,
my labor case was transferred to DOL in mar 04 and I would be entering my 6th yr for H1 in sep.. it seems when DOL takes up my case i wud be at the end of my 6th yr or maybe in 7th yr. At this point if i get 3 options letters or for some reason my labor does not go through, do I have any options other than leaving the country? basically my lawyer screwed up on labor requirements. I work for a med sized global company (500m+ rev) in LA and my lawyer only showed my prev 2 yrs of experience even though i had 5 yrs of experience. Req: BS+2yrs (I have MS from US univ)

thanks,

Surya..

##### What I want to know is, in my 6th yr if I join another company who is willing to do LC substitution can I still apply for the 7th yr extension while 140 and 485 are pending.

--------- You can apply for H1 extension even after joining new company if your old company keeps the LC process alive.

--------- You cannot extend H1 visa on basis of LC Sunstitution /I-140/I-485 because once you apply for I-485 (adjustment of Status) as per rules you do not need H1. I mean you can continue your employment using EAD after expiry of H1.

Does it mean, if I join another company (who is willing to do LC Subs) in sixth year and file 140/485, I cannot extend H1. But what if I dont get EAD within the time my 6yrs expires -- is it considered out of status.

unclear said:
Hi, gp111, any new approvals?

case no 9545540 rd 1/27 certfied july 2nd, dot code 999.151-032
9545546 rd 1/28 still rcvd dot code 031.
9545547 rd 1/28 certified july 2nd
9545709 rd 1/28 still rcvd
9545771 rd 1/28 certified july 15th
9545795 rd 1/28 still rcvd.
9545813 rd 1/29 still rcvd.
9545941 rd 1/30 still rcvd.

My DOT 999.151-031 and rcvd date 1/22. Still AVM says rcvd and my lawyer didn't get anything from DOL. Can any one tell me what might be the reason still it hangs there when other cases are moving beyond 1/22?
:confused:

csrini1 said:
case no 9545540 rd 1/27 certfied july 2nd, dot code 999.151-032
9545546 rd 1/28 still rcvd dot code 031.
9545547 rd 1/28 certified july 2nd
9545709 rd 1/28 still rcvd
9545771 rd 1/28 certified july 15th
9545795 rd 1/28 still rcvd.
9545813 rd 1/29 still rcvd.
9545941 rd 1/30 still rcvd.

BREAKING NEWS - GIVE me SWEETS for this :)

07/20/2004: Labor Certification Backlog Reduction Regulation Release Imminent, 07/21/04

AILA has learned that the DOL will release this regulation probably on July 21, 2004. AILA has also obtained a copy of the regulation which will be released as the Interim Final Regulation. The regulation will be implemented in 30 days from the date of publication in the federal register. The regulation is very short and does not go into the details. The skeleton of the backlog reduction are as follows:
The Chief of Foreign Labor Certification, William Carlson, is designated as the "National Certifying Officer." This Officer has two authorities under the regulation:
Determination of which existing cases at the state offices and the regional certifying officers offices should be transferred to the national reduction processing centers, involving obviously the decision to transfer when, how, in what sequences, etc. The regulation provides that the details on this issue be stipulated and released in the form of "Directives."
National Certifying Officer will perform adjudication of certain cases which the processing centers deemed necessary because of the issues involved. These cases will be handled and decided by the National Certifying Officer.
The backlog reduction centers will perform the jobs of the current state offices and the regional certifying officers offices for the cases which are transferred to the backlog reduction center. In this regard, the backlog reduction center changes from the current two-tier (state-regional) system to one-tier system just like the upcoming PERM program operation.
The details have yet to be developed and announced by the DOL as to how this regulation will be actually implemented. It is, however, important to learn that the backlog reduction job will go into operation in a month or so from now. Good news, indeed.

surya369 said:
Does it mean, if I join another company (who is willing to do LC Subs) in sixth year and file 140/485, I cannot extend H1. But what if I dont get EAD within the time my 6yrs expires -- is it considered out of status.

No you are not considered out of status if you have already have filed I-485 (adjustment of status)...

GC_Geek said:
07/20/2004: Labor Certification Backlog Reduction Regulation Release Imminent, 07/21/04

AILA has learned that the DOL will release this regulation probably on July 21, 2004. AILA has also obtained a copy of the regulation which will be released as the Interim Final Regulation. The regulation will be implemented in 30 days from the date of publication in the federal register. The regulation is very short and does not go into the details. The skeleton of the backlog reduction are as follows:
The Chief of Foreign Labor Certification, William Carlson, is designated as the "National Certifying Officer." This Officer has two authorities under the regulation:
Determination of which existing cases at the state offices and the regional certifying officers offices should be transferred to the national reduction processing centers, involving obviously the decision to transfer when, how, in what sequences, etc. The regulation provides that the details on this issue be stipulated and released in the form of "Directives."
National Certifying Officer will perform adjudication of certain cases which the processing centers deemed necessary because of the issues involved. These cases will be handled and decided by the National Certifying Officer.
The backlog reduction centers will perform the jobs of the current state offices and the regional certifying officers offices for the cases which are transferred to the backlog reduction center. In this regard, the backlog reduction center changes from the current two-tier (state-regional) system to one-tier system just like the upcoming PERM program operation.
The details have yet to be developed and announced by the DOL as to how this regulation will be actually implemented. It is, however, important to learn that the backlog reduction job will go into operation in a month or so from now. Good news, indeed.

Does anyone know if the Backlog reduction centers are applicable to California?
Sounds like cases will be transferred from the state level to here???

They are gonna combine State and Fed LC processing, benifit for the kids in the queue ( I mean new LC aplicants)

unclear said:
It seems that you are right. This is so UNFAIR!
I think this would be a good step - atleast somebody would benefit from it. Currently, all of us are stuck - anybody and everybody getting out of this mess fast is welcome. Just hope that something does happen - JAN needs to go away soon...........

is my patience longer than the days in Jan ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.