S. 1932 Status

Quiet lobbying and hoping for the same from Corporate america is the best chance to get out of this. I do think that there is a good realistic opportunity that some relief will be coming in this upcoming immigration debate next year, perhaps S1932 was a prelude to some of the additional measures that pro immigrant forces will push.
I think that the main points to be told to the senators/congressmen is that the US economy is moving into a job creation phase with unemployment currently at 4.9% which is a near historical low, and in many fields involving graduate education, that rate is closer to 2.5%.
Next thing is that if US companies see a shortage of skilled labour, that encourages them to outsource and they actually have a moral argument in doing so. Since Jobs create jobs, we need to ensure an adequate supply of skilled labour within the USA. If that means more legal immigration then so be it.
The vacuum being generated by an aging workforce is such that insourcing of skilled workers and some limited outsourcing is an imperative for the overall health of the US economy.
Accelerating the process of legal immigration often provides a dual advantage of both the legal immigrant and his/her skilled spouse entering the labour force for the "price" of one immigrant family.
Many states such as heartland midwestern states are suffering the result of loss of manufacturing jobs, many have declining populations, they need to regenerate their economies and to do so will require professionals, innovators, and skilled workers. A vacuum which we are suited to fill.

These are a few points I came up with.

kalimmigration said:
Please focus on the task that is EB Retrogression and not any thing else.
We are all matured educated individuals. Lets focus on the task at hand.
I might meet the senator and house reprentative from my state. I have
sunil joshi's ppt. Guys give me some ideas. Do you guys know of any bills
coming in the new year we need to consider seriously.
I agree, I try to restrain myself when I see such off topic articles and that too which spiral out of control into an argument; but this time I could not.

Kalimmigration, there is a separate thread I had started a long time ago for discussing new upcoming bills. I think we should use that -
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=195537

Unbelievable news: New draft immigration bill by Senater Specter

Unbelievable news:

Guys:

Check out this anti-immigrant site and read about this new proposed bill that Mr. Specter is circulating for consideration. Seems too good to be true. Do you think its really going to happen?

http://www.numbersusa.com/hottopic/specterproposal.html

I am also pasting relevent info- from it below:

New exemptions from legal, permanent immigration category caps:

Aliens with an advanced degree in science, technology, engineering, or math who have been working in a related field in the United States for the three-year period preceding their application for an employment-based immigrant visa would be exempt from the cap on such visas.

Aliens with “extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education , business, or athletics,” “outstanding professors and researchers,” and physicians who agree to work in an area designated by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as having a shortage of health care professionals or who agree to work at a health care facility run by the Department of Veterans Affairs all would be exempt from the cap on employment-based visas.

The spouses, children and parents of any alien who is admitted as an employment-based immigrant would be exempt from the cap on employment-based visas (parents of such aliens currently are not eligible for a visa at all until the alien becomes a naturalized citizen).

Where current law exempts the children, spouses, and parents of U.S. citizens, Specter would exempt the children of citizens plus their children, the spouses of citizens plus their children, and the parents of citizens plus their children.

This may be a good proposal to any one as long as the person is benefitted, but does it help majority of the people who are desperately waiting..my guess is no..

Arlen Specter is trying to shoot for the moon, in hopes of having atleast something passed. It'll be inretsting to see how many of them make it to the comprehensive immigration reform bill.

Retrogress flyer as text - copy and paste on other websites .......

Remove Employment based Retrogress of Visa Numbers:

The current Visa bulletin shows a severe retrogression in all Employment based Categories for some countries, and worldwide retrogression for specific categories. Some of these priority dates result in inordinate delays of six or more years in adjudication of green cards.

ACT NOW TO REMOVE THE RETROGRESS OR FACE YEARS OF WAITING TIME!!

Can we do anything about this?
ISN America (Immigrants Support Network America) a voluntary group initiated working to address the current retrogression and many other related issues - More info at http://www.ISNAmerica.Org (have great features like forum, FAQ, Immigration glossary, Fax your issues to the law makers etc. for free). Yes, everything is FREE you just need to register.

As you all know how much it takes to change issues like these:
We all need your support and support from your family and friends to make a difference.

Together we can work for:
* Eliminate the retrogression for employment based immigration.
* Issues related to Backlog Center Delays, I-140, and I-485 processing delays.
* Support the H4 Visa holders (spouse and children of H1B holder) for employment issues.

Please spread the word even if you’re not affected and we need your ideas and suggestions.
Visit us @ http://www.ISNAmerica.Org/forum
Email your questions/comments to Contact@ISNAmerica.Org

New Specter immigration bill proposals

LET US START PUSHING FOR THIS BILL. LET US CALL ALL SENATERS AND CONGRESSMEN TO SUPPORT THIS BILL.

New exemptions from legal, permanent immigration category caps:

Aliens with an advanced degree in science, technology, engineering, or math who have been working in a related field in the United States for the three-year period preceding their application for an employment-based immigrant visa would be exempt from the cap on such visas.

Aliens with “extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education , business, or athletics,” “outstanding professors and researchers,” and physicians who agree to work in an area designated by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as having a shortage of health care professionals or who agree to work at a health care facility run by the Department of Veterans Affairs all would be exempt from the cap on employment-based visas.

The spouses, children and parents of any alien who is admitted as an employment-based immigrant would be exempt from the cap on employment-based visas (parents of such aliens currently are not eligible for a visa at all until the alien becomes a naturalized citizen).

Where current law exempts the children, spouses, and parents of U.S. citizens, Specter would exempt the children of citizens plus their children, the spouses of citizens plus their children, and the parents of citizens plus their children.

To ensure that all quotas are filled each year, the Specter proposal would:

Allow any alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States to apply to adjust to legal permanent residence if the alien is admissible and if an immigrant visa is available at the time the application is filed; and

Allow any alien who has an approved petition for an F student visa or an approved petition as a spouse or child who is the victim of domestic abuse at the hands of a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident to adjust to legal permanent residence if the alien is admissible and if an immigrant visa is available at the time the application is filed.

Just in Case Business Is Not Satisfied: Specter proposal would alter current limits on employment of aliens.

Specter would eliminate the current requirement that aliens seeking to come to the United States as students prove they have a foreign residence which they have no intention of abandoning, and he would allow them to work off-campus in any job for up to 20 hours a week during the academic term and up to 40 hours a week during vacations and between terms.

Good for EB3
Specter would eliminate the requirement that the Labor Department certify that the employment of an alien will not adversely affect the wages or working conditions of American workers for any alien who is a “member of the professionals [sic] and has a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics.”

How is it good for most of us who are having i-140 approved and are waiting to submit i-485 ?

garbarsarbar said:
LET US START PUSHING FOR THIS BILL. LET US CALL ALL SENATERS AND CONGRESSMEN TO SUPPORT THIS BILL.
Good for EB3
Specter would eliminate the requirement that the Labor Department certify that the employment of an alien will not adversely affect the wages or working conditions of American workers for any alien who is a “member of the professionals [sic] and has a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the sciences, technology, engineering, or mathematics.”

Draft letter/ note

Guy and Gals

I have drafted a letter / note which can be used for our efforts for influencing opinion.

I have tried to present it in terms of "what's in for me?" viewpoint of a Senator/ Congressman.

There are some blanks for statistics to be put in, specific to the constituency the Congressman/ Senator belongs. The US Census website has those statistics we need and I can show/ help in those statistics.

Let me know about this letter / note and what changes we may need to do.

Regards
GCStrat :)

Enclosed as stated

Developing a grass root strategy

Guys and Gals

Let us set up a formal structure/ organization of people who spearhead and maintain the momentum for these efforts. This is what I propose.

Have a Federal Cell in DC composed to about 20 volunteers people - thier "job" is to engage 5 Senators each - this way we cover all 100 senators. Also, they keep track of the Senate Judiciary committee

Similarly, we set up State Cells in atleast 15 - 20 states - CA, NY, TX, FL, PA, IL, WA, AZ, NJ, MD, VA, CT, MA, GA, OH, MI, etc, which send the most Congressman to DC. The number of people in each state will be different - for example CA will need more people than MA, as there are more Congressman in CA. My guesstimate is that we are looking at 150 to 200 volunteer people spread across these 15-20 states.

Next we set up a coordinating committee - which can operate virtually to coordinate and track patterns. This committee be about 10-15 people, each having a specific sone in charge. They also will look for like minded organizations and work out how to synergize efforts with them. They can also come up with a calendar of events/ activities planned, some estimates of costs and how to raise that money.

These 250 odd people will be our HEROS. This will be a wonderful opporutnity for many people to learn a number of useful skills which will help them in the future as they climb the corporate ladder.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards
GCStrat :)

www.immigrationVoice.org

Friends,

With our efforts failing to materialize on the S.1932 issue, some of the very active members on this forum decided to join hands and become even more active for the next effort. And like most people on this forum, all of these members are effected by retrogression.

The result - www.immigrationVoice.org, an organization formed specifically to address the retrogression issues facing legal immigrants, as a combined and coordinated effort.

The purpose of this organization is to make an all-out effort at the right time, using the right strategy, in a combined way, as against certain individuals doing on their own. S.1932 was a learning experience.

www.immigrationVoice.org is the tool for our next effort.

Members on this forum such as sunjoshi, pdhakwal, indio0617, vingivi, Black_Logs, Hopeful_123, gc_bronco, Sandeep_N, bklog_sufferer, Vallabhu, rajatism, Lab_cld, nozdam, WaldenPond etc. are among the leading members of immigrationVoice.org. And anybody on this would like to be active and be a leading member or a volunteer are welcome.

The current efforts are:
1. Co-ordinated efforts to address the severe retrogression issue affecting most of the members on this forum.
2. Creating awareness among the lawmakers by working with several other groups to obtain the correct channel for communication.
3. Raising funds to incorporate a media-driven/lobby-driven strategy
4. Involve more affected people and make our voice even louder.

We need your support. We need your input. We need you to step up to the plate and be a part of the solution.

Please go to www.immigrationVoice.org and register yourself. Please sign up as an volunteer or as a core-member and contribute towards the effort to get our permanent legal residence faster.

We need volunteers to help out in:
1. Membership drive/Fund Raising
2. Media relations/PR
3. Lobbying efforts

Questions can be directed to greencard@immigrationVoice.org and we will respond to you at the earliest convenience.

Remember, we are one among you. The more ownership you take of the problem, the faster the resolution will be.

As a group, we attempted to use isnamerica.org as our tool, but since it is a privately-owned website with goals that are different than ours, that did not materialize.

We would urge you to help us to do our share for the community. Please go to http://www.immigrationvoice.org

Thank You
sunjoshi

Thanks for your efforts. I have few questions.

I see the pay pall donation on the site. Where does the money we donate go to. What is the credibility.i.e who is accountable for the money we donate

Good valid questions.

immigrationVoice will be a registered organization, and the funds collected would go to an account in the name of the organization.

There is an accounting team in place (need more volunteers) and also will be working with a CPA. All expenses incurred will be accounted for and posted.

Like I mentioned earlier, we are one among you, and learning the process. All suggestions/advise/help is greatly appreciated.

Good Question

kalimmigration said:
Thanks for your efforts. I have few questions.

I see the pay pall donation on the site. Where does the money we donate go to. What is the credibility.i.e who is accountable for the money we donate

Hello kalimmigration,

This is a very valid question. This is the very reason we went with this organization we started with the http://www.immigrationvoice.org which is a registered organization. The funds that we will collect will be used towards Lobbying efforts. We are talking to people in DC about this and we need your support for this. If you want more details send your email/phone number and we will be happy to provide more details about the progress. If you have not already realized there are lot of people who come to these forums who are anti-immigrants and are here to gather information.

We look forward to your support in this common cause.

Thanks,
WaldenPond

Frankly speaking..Efforts here and there dilute our cause...

Frankly speaking..not to offence any active member working for our cause..Efforts here and there dilute our cause...

I do not care whoever is doing it..

I care for work and efforts .. rather just discussions.

Isn.org did similar efforts in 2000 year and got success and
now they are guiding IsnAmerica.Org - so i prefer the work only,nothing else.
It is better to go with experienced organization, rather inventing the wheel all over again..
Ofcourse wherever i see good work, i prefer that..
Just my 2 cents.. Ofcourse it is upto individual..

Last edited by a moderator: