S. 1932 Status

Good Job,

Anyone who wants to call John Conyers, Please be nice to the gentle lady. Tell her that we need Congressmen's help and so we are calling. We are legal immigrants and working hard in this country.

We still have hope. The conference meeting is still going on. If it is over we would have been able to talk to many people. But that is not the case. Keep the pressure on. They can change anything as long as the conference report is not on the floor.

Gurus,

Please confirm this news???
Spgtopper could you please post more information??

spgtopper said:
Update: I called the House Judiciary committee

about 2 hrs back and was told this:

"No immigration provisions are included in the conference report"

"The conference is closed - final signatures are done, the congress will be voting on it today."

I still feel that we need to wait and see.

indio0617 said:
irritated (initially) and wanted to know who directed me to their number. She wanted to know if these calls / campaign is part of some organized group.
I would think that she thinks we are organized group is kind of like a compliment :) and that the calls are having an effect atleast in showing that there are lot of guys in this position

I just talked with the lady at John Conyers, Jr. office. She said the republicans stuck section 8000/8001 in very bad bill, which all the democrats are against. I asked her to pass my thoughts to the congressman and urge him to support this section when it comesup in the conference committe meeting. She said that nothing was finalized yet.

Everyone, (I can see light at the end of the tunnel)

Please call other congressman's office. Since house have been back on today's event, staff of other congressmans will also be in the office. So please get back to work and start calling.

Cheers

Please keep calling. Be polite and support her views that this is a bad bill, but ask her to support just section 8000/8001 when it comes up for debate

I didnt give her the website

I told her that I am affected by retrogression and am a law abiding legal immigrant who has been waiting for his greencard since 3 yrs,
I have been closely following C-SPAN.org and have come to know that honorable congressman is a part of the committee and have called to let him know my part of the story.

She also asked me then have you been calling all the members of the committee. I told her that personally I have been calling only Mr Conyers.

I also told her that I am not part of any website or any group and wanted her to convey my message to the Congressman.

aat0995 said:
Did you give this website address?? We don't want to give them the website.. it won't be in our favor

I called John Spratt's office at 202-225-5501 and I was transfered to the gentleman in the budget department. He told me that final report is still not filled. There is so far no information on whether the section 8001 of S1932 is included or not. The discussion is still going on.

I heard that the provisions did not survive

I was transferred to the Senate Budget Committee office & was told that none of the immigration provisions have survived.

I feel that the chances of them surviving were rather slim. I'm signing off for the next few hours. I have a life to live & am just unable to live it with all this stress. :(

Conyer's office

I called and spoke to the lady at the conyer's office for about 15 min. She was patient and I asked rep. conyers views/her views how to handle the inclusion..

in gist what she says is, most of the democrats are opposed to the bill as it cuts foodstamps etc,but the bill will pass because republicans have a stronghold in the house.

about section 8001 she thinks if there is no specific opposition it will pass along with the bill..

what she says is conyers is in favor of certain provision of S1932 and against cutting provisions that affect poor people.. it wont' matter even if he votes against because on the whole they cannot win the bill because of republican majority.. even if rep. conyers wants to vote in favor of that section 8001, there is no way he do that, because the bill is an omnibus bill...

one way she thinks is for some republicans to propose to exclude that section separately and pass it during reconciliation...she also suggested me to call 202-225-5101 (phone # of sensenbrenner i think, as he heads the judiciary committee) and lamar smith, because they are the ones who can call the shots..

aat0995 said:
What do you mean? :confused:

She was saying that s.1932 is a very bad bill that cuts finacial support to food stamps and other subsidies. She said that this may not pass at all. I just agreed with her that it is bad to cut financail support, but asked her to urge the congressman to support section 8000/8001

this hour updates

2:42 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H. Res. 456.
Considered under suspension of the rules.
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen moved to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution.
H.R. 2329:
to permit eligibility in certain circumstances for an officer or employee of a foreign government to receive a reward under the Department of State Rewards Program
Motion to reconsider laid on the table Agreed to without objection.
On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill Agreed to by voice vote.
2:32 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H.R. 2329.
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen moved to suspend the rules and pass the bill.
S. 1988:
to authorize the transfer of items in the War Reserves Stockpile for Allies, Korea
On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill Agreed to by voice vote.
2:27 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on S. 1988.
2:26 P.M. -
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen moved to suspend the rules and pass the bill.
H.R. 4501:
to amend the Passport Act of June 4, 1920, to authorize the Secretary of State to establish and collect a surcharge to cover the costs of meeting the increased demand for passports as a result of actions taken to comply with section 7209(b) of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004
On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by voice vote.
2:21 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H.R. 4501.
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen moved to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended.
H. Con. Res. 284:
expressing the sense of Congress with respect to the 2005 presidential and parliamentary elections in Egypt
2:20 P.M. -
At the conclusion of debate, the Yeas and Nays were demanded and ordered. Pursuant to the provisions of clause 8, rule XX, the Chair announced that further proceedings on the motion would be postponed.
2:10 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H. Con. Res. 284.
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen moved to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution, as amended.
H. Res. 545:
expressing the sense of the House of Representatives on the arrest of Sanjar Umarov in Uzbekistan
2:09 P.M. -
On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution Agreed to by voice vote.
2:03 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H. Res. 545.
Ms. Ros-Lehtinen moved to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution.
The Speaker announced that votes on suspensions, if ordered, will be postponed until later in the legislative day.
H. Res. 632:
waiving a requirement of clause 6(a) of rule XIII with respect to consideration of certain resolutions reported from the Committee on Rules
2:01 P.M. -
POSTPONED PROCEEDINGS - At the conclusion of debate the Chair put the question on adoption of the resolution and by voice vote announced that the ayes had prevailed. Ms. Matsui demanded the yeas and nays and the Chair postponed further proceedings until later in the day.

I called Jim Nussle, IA, Chairman at 202-225-2911. The individual said that the final report is still not filled yet and is expected today anytime in the evening. I also asked if there is any whether the section 8001 of S1932 is included or not. The discussion is still going on and there is no information on that.

I also told him that I am very impressed by his hard work to address the deficit and the convincing arguments presented by him on the floor. He said that I was very surprised that you have lot of information on this bill. I told him that I am following the development on the C-SPAN. I am a legal immigrant affected by the retrogression and want Jim's help on this issue. I want his support and include section 8001 of S 1932 to be included in the final conference committee report.

Guys, This is my 5th call where I am told that the conference committee report is still not final. Keep calling. Don't loose hope. We are still in the game. Don't let go the pressure and momentum that is built by lot of the people over here.

RajGC said:
I just talked with the lady at John Conyers, Jr. office. She said the republicans stuck section 8000/8001 in very bad bill, which all the democrats are against. I asked her to pass my thoughts to the congressman and urge him to support this section when it comesup in the conference committe meeting. She said that nothing was finalized yet.

It appear from your narrative that Congressman John Conyers, Jr. thinks that he generally agree with section 8000/8001 but do not agree with the bill in general. How about we put in cordinated effort with a group of Senators and Congressmen to initiate a seperate bill for just the provisions in section 8000/8001. This would remove any complexity of clubbing this initiative with any other provision. Just a sugestion as I am thinking out loud ....

Just spoke to Diana at John Spratt's office(202-225-5501 ) and she told me that the final text is not out yet. So if someone has told that none of the immigration provisions have survived then it is just their opinion and I wouldnt loose heart.

There are 23 members in the commitee so I would still keep my hope alive based on the majority.

Hopeful_123 said:
I was transferred to the Senate Budget Committee office & was told that none of the immigration provisions have survived.

I feel that the chances of them surviving were rather slim. I'm signing off for the next few hours. I have a life to live & am just unable to live it with all this stress. :(

I called congressman sensenbrenner's office. The gentleman told that a decision was not made yet. Keep calling. I left a message on congressman Lamar's VM. Tell them your story. Make sure that you tell them that you are highly educated and can contribute to this economy. If you have a masters or PhD, let them know.

Waldenpond

that is the same opinion expressed by the lady from Conyer's office.. if there is anyway to exclude that section and make it separate from the omnibus bill S.1932 then the democrats will favor it.. it won't get stripped..

I am not sure if we should draft such a letter saying "can this be passed along with S.1932 and if it is not possible can be separated out and passed independently"

WaldenPond said:
It appear from your narrative that Congressman John Conyers, Jr. thinks that he generally agree with section 8000/8001 but do not agree with the bill in general. How about we put in cordinated effort with a group of Senators and Congressmen to initiate a seperate bill for just the provisions in section 8000/8001. This would remove any complexity of clubbing this initiative with any other provision. Just a sugestion as I am thinking out loud ....

Yes she did not say that the congressman is opposing this.

floor updates...

3:06 P.M. -
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on the motion to suspend the rules and agree to the Senate amendments to H.R. 797.
Mr. Renzi moved that the House suspend the rules and agree to the Senate amendments.

H. Con. Res. 275:
expressing the sense of Congress regarding the education curriculum in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

3:04 P.M. -
At the conclusion of debate, the Yeas and Nays were demanded and ordered. Pursuant to the provisions of clause 8, rule XX, the Chair announced that further proceedings on the motion would be postponed.