S. 1932 Status

spgtopper said:
Update: I called the House Judiciary committee

about 2 hrs back and was told this:

"No immigration provisions are included in the conference report"

"The conference is closed - final signatures are done, the congress will be voting on it today."

I still feel that we need to wait and see.

Shouldn't there be a link somewhere which has the agreed conference report? I think before the voting few congressman/senators might want to see the provisions. What do you think?

Hopeful_123 said:
#2742 18th December 2005, 02:55 PM
spgtopper
Registered User Join Date: Jul 2005

FIRST THINGS FIRST

While we are trying hard to coordinate efforts and collect contact information, I think it is very important that we know what we are doing.

The topmost thing we need is CLARITY, so that our efforts are NOT half-hearted and we can also ENCOURAGE MORE NEW PEOPLE to join in.

I hope all of you will take time answering a couple of question below:
(LET US ALL have an agenda and let us go get it).

1. What the hell are we trying to achieve?
H1-b increase? EB retro relief? Concurrent filing? Using past unused visa numbers? What the hell is it? WHAT IS OUR GOAL? Let us get it clear. Then let us refine it to be sure that there will be least opposition to it (politically).

2. Why is it better to go after this effort in a group instead of just doing it alone? Why wouldn't it be better to just do our own thing. For example I have a great story to tell, so how do I benefit from being part of a larger group? (for example).

S.

Hi SPGTOPPER,

The provisions can be divided into 3 categories.

1) INCREASE IN H1B VISAS
I definitely support increase in the H1B program & do have my reasons for wanting this to happen (My sister is getting married and coming here. She's affected by non availability of H1Bs). BUT that is a controversial and difficult battle. I WANT TO SEPARATE IT OUT IF POSSIBLE BECAUSE BY BUNDLING EVERYTHING TOGETHER WE WILL FIND MORE OPPONENTS

PERMANENT SOLUTIONS FOR RETROGRESSION
This includes measures that will increase number of permanent visas such as
1) Recapture of Visa numbers
2) Removing per country limits
3) Not counting spouses and children but only counting the primary applicant.

Again, I want this 100% but I also know that any increase in permanent visas will draw a lot of controversy and opposition. This is a long term battle to be fought though

TEMPORARY RELIEF FOR RETROGRESSION

By allowing the filing of I-485 without a current priority date.

As I've said before THIS is the one that is my immediate focus for a couple of reasons.
1) Filing 485 provides much of the benefits of green card (EAD for self & spouse) as well as advance parole. It is not AS GOOD AS getting the green card but offers us flexibility and freedom.

2) I FEEL THERE IS A VERY GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING THIS THROUGH.

2A) It DOES NOT increase either temporary or permanant visas. Therefore it has NO IMPACT whatever

2B) On compassionate grounds, (given that USA stands for freedom), even somone like Lamar Smith will see the validity that there is no point in tying a person to a single employer for several years and that after labor has been approved - some flexiblity should be given to the person. They don't want us to be slaves to our employers.

2C) It can easily be added as an addendum to some provision. It is innocuos enough that I think numbersusa and the other anti immigrant groups should not oppose it.

It is a win win because it DOES NOT INCREASE IMMIGRATION but it makes our lives easier.

Therefore if you ask me, I'm fighting for # 3 TEMPORARY RELIEF FOR RETROGRESSION FIRST and then for # 2 PERMANANT SOLUTIONS FOR RETROGRESSION.

I would call # 3 the short term goal that I want to win but # 2 as the long term goal

OK .... now that we have Goals .... what is the Strategy .... what is the Tactics for that Strategy and how do we go about implementing it to achieve the Goal. Is it ok to conitnue the way we are doing right now each member calling and sending faxes or do we need to take it to the next level and do more.

I am just asking these questions to invite more people to participate in the debate.

BTW, Just send faxes to all the committee members again.

I just spoke to the lady at John Conyers, Jr. office at 202-225-5126. She said that conference report is not release. The meeting is still going on. When ask if the immigration provision is there in the final report she said that at this time she don't have any information. She said that section 8001 and the title is mentioned in the report but there is no additional information available at this time.

Guys we still have hope. Please keep calling.

aat0995 said:
Shouldn't there be a link somewhere which has the agreed conference report? I think before the voting few congressman/senators might want to see the provisions. What do you think?

spgtopper is correct. They mentioned the same thing today .... But I agree with spgtopper that we should continue to make calls and send faxes and wait and see ....

House Public relations group said that final conference report may be available tonight or tomorrow. Maybe before that there would be vote on the final S1932.

WaldenPond said:
OK .... now that we have Goals .... what is the Strategy .... what is the Tactics for that Strategy and how do we go about implementing it to achieve the Goal. Is it ok to conitnue the way we are doing right now each member calling and sending faxes or do we need to take it to the next level and do more.

I am just asking these questions to invite more people to participate in the debate.

BTW, Just send faxes to all the committee members again.

My thaughts, i dont think we should remove #1 (h1 cap increase).,
as it also related to immigration and help other skilled workers in other countries to work here and get U.S experience.[i dont have any friends and foes who r seeking h1].
what do u think.?
it looks we dont care when we dont have any benifits..

Canadian_Dream said:
Conference report will be out before voting in the house, which is scheduled today. I will try to dig.

That's what I was looking for. I was not trying to doubt what our active member said. :)

Big Corporations have lot of resources and they have good lobbies that will do this. H1 B increase will have more opposition than the "reto relief". I belive we need to focuss on the "Retro relief". Don't get me wrong here. I have friends and family members who want to come here on H1B and I totlally support that.

dc9900,
Much as we would like to see others get benefited from increased number of H-1B visas, most of argument against the sec 8001 was that it increases H-1B visa. We know that that isn't correct, but the lawmakers who made the decisions and those who influences the lawmakers' decisions had that point of view, knowingly or unknowingly. So, all out future efforts most likely will have the same fate (I am assuming that sec 8001 has been dropped) if we have provisions for increase of H-1B along with EB retrogression relief. I think increase of H-1B should have its own bill or be part of a different bill. We all will support it, but separately and not at the expense of losing the EB retrogression relief bill.

dc9900 said:
My thaughts, i dont think we should remove #1 (h1 cap increase).,
as it also related to immigration and help other skilled workers in other countries to work here and get U.S experience.[i dont have any friends and foes who r seeking h1].
what do u think.?
it looks we dont care when we dont have any benifits..

Just called John Conyers, Jr. office at 202-225-5126. The lady picked up and even before I could ask her anything started asking me

"Is there a website which is directly ppl to call us at this number because I have been getting a lot of calls today with accent like yours regarding section 8001 in S1932? "

So, *Temporary relief for retrogression* should be our aim!

I totally agree with RajGC that big corps can look for for themselves with the H1-B thing!

But, for the retro relief thing - I don't think we have the big corps on our side. They love the present situation where they literally have slaves working for them.

So, next, who is on our side (without their own hidden agendas i.e.)?

What about the lawyers? Do they have an advantage in fighting for us?

S.

RajGC said:
Big Corporations have lot of resources and they have good lobbies that will do this. H1 B increase will have more opposition than the "reto relief". I belive we need to focuss on the "Retro relief". Don't get me wrong here. I have friends and family members who want to come here on H1B and I totlally support that.

Khris said:
Just called John Conyers, Jr. office at 202-225-5126. The lady picked up and even before I could ask her anything started asking me

"Is there a website which is directly ppl to call us at this number because I have been getting a lot of calls today with accent like yours regarding section 8001 in S1932? "

So Kris what was you reply?

Everyone,

Please don't stop. Keep calling. Anything can happened. Do not loose hope. There is still one thing that no body, no law and no congressman can take and that is our prayers.

Please keep praying. Keep calling.

Cheers

So, what did you answer? :)

Khris said:

Khris said:

Did you give this website address?? We don't want to give them the website.. it won't be in our favor

Khris said:

Dont think that there is anything wrong if people call them - just goes on to show them the extent of the problem. Though it would be good if people affected by retrogression from all communities can participate and she can hear quite a few accents!

Cant depend much on lawyers. They are busy trying to capture the "illegal market" (obviously its huge market)
I am not trying to generalize but thats the general trend from AILA

which c-span?

which c-span is having the discussion for S1932??

c-span
c-span2
c-span3

Can somebody update the present status here, please?

-p

Khris said:

Why do they here only one accent. Folks from different countries affected by the reto should be calling. Is there anything we can do to get all of them on board, for future efforts?

pdakwala said:
I just spoke to the lady at John Conyers, Jr. office at 202-225-5126. She said that conference report is not release. The meeting is still going on. When ask if the immigration provision is there in the final report she said that at this time she don't have any information. She said that section 8001 and the title is mentioned in the report but there is no additional information available at this time.

Guys we still have hope. Please keep calling.

Guys:

I spoke again to John Conyers office. She immediately knew that it was about s1932, section 8001. The lady was definitely a little irritated (initially) and wanted to know who directed me to their number. She wanted to know if these calls / campaign is part of some organized group.

I calmed her and chatted a bit. According to her 'everything is still unclear' as the report is still being debated behind close doors. She is certain that it will be complted today and up for voting tonight. She is of the opinion that 'the passage of this bill' is very uncertain because of all the contentious issues and it will be a very close vote. She added that we need to contact Congressman John Spratt (S. Carolina) for actual information about the conference report as he is the lead person for this budget bill.

So, it is very clear that the final report is not known to anyone yet and we might still have an outside chance. Please keep calling .....